Do you pray the Luminous mysteries of the Rosary?

  • Thread starter Thread starter EphelDuath
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless one is in the habit of saying the 150 decades every day, and, I’m sure not many of us do, saying it once a week is a lovely
adjunct to prayer.

The naysayers really just want to feel like they have one over on everyone else. They know better than the pope himself. DS. It is rather tiresome. :yawn:
 
Yes, I do pray the Luminous mysteries of the Rosary; and I like them.
 
Yes, I do. I think the LMs fill a huge gap between the Finding in the Temple and the Agony in the Garden, and I appreciate JPII for coming up with the idea.

I pray them in chronological order, from the JMs on Monday thru the GMs on Thursday, and then repeat the SMs on Friday. That means I’m out of sync with most of the other people in my parish, but no problem; that’s been the story of my life anyway 😃

DaveBj
 
Yes. Yes I do. I just started daily Rosary this Monday. I like them better than the Joyous Mysteries.
 
I pray all four sets of The Rosary. It is a personal meditation so each one of us can pray what is most meaningful to us.

I love each set but I have to admit I love the Joyful Mysteries the best. They speak to me as a mother and grandmother.
 
I wouldn’t say that the LMs “break up the rosary” per se. But the 150 Hail Marys on the 15 decades have been viewed for centuries as a sort of “mini-psalter”, to correspond with the 150 Psalms. Hence the Rosary as Our Lady’s Psalter. I am perfectly well aware that this designation has only been around for perhaps six hundred years (maybe longer, but at least that long.) It is just my view that one of the things that the Church has suffered from in the last forty years is change itself. Some changes can be good, others have undoubtedly been bad, but I don’t think that sufficient notice has been taken to the fact that change itself is prejudicial to the common good. As St. John Chrysostom wrote:

For nothing so much disturbs the mind, though it be done for some beneficial purpose, as to innovate and introduce strange things, and most of all when this is done in matters relating to divine worship and the glory of God. (Homilies on the First Epistle of Paul to the Corinthians, hom.7, v.14; my emphasis.)

And here’s St. Thomas:

[H]uman law is rightly changed, in so far as such change is conducive to the common weal. But, to a certain extent, the mere change of law is of itself prejudicial to the common good: because custom avails much for the observance of laws, seeing that what is done contrary to general custom, even in slight matters, is looked upon as grave. (Summa Theologiae Ia Iiae q.97 a.2; my emphasis.)
I just want to note a few things. Firstly, the Rosary served as a ‘mini-psalter’ because the people who were unable to follow the Liturgy of the Hours were unable to read them. Therefore, this shows the love that our Mother, and the Church, had for all of the faithful.

Secondly, the quotes you have sited do not pertain to the addition to the mysteries. St. Thomas speaks of law, of which the Rosary has no part in. St. John Chrysostom is speaking of strange things, and Divine Worship, and the glory of God. The new mysteries actually give more glory to God, rather than their absence, and the Rosary is not at all constituted in Divine Worship.

Also, the Rosary is all about Jesus’ life: it is the Gospel story.
Me too 👍

Matthew 3 (I know it’s King James text but I like the way it sounds in this passage :o )

14: But John forbad him, saying, I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me?
15: And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfill all righteousness. Then he suffered him. (God would will us to be part of his plan for rightiousness?) How GREAT is OUR GOD? It reminds me of Paul speaking of making up that which was lacking in the sufferings of Christ (not our works IMO, but us)

There is a great treasure in the Luminous Mysteries for me. Pray the rosary - I do every day.

Don’t get me wrong I love the original mysteries just as much. But can’t one love his mother and still take a wife to love just as much? (forgive the weak analogy, the best I can do on short notice) 😛
As for the quote from 1 Corinthians 1:24 that you are refering to, St. Paul is talking about the lacking in the sufferings of Chris’s body, the Church - in other words, in our lacking to follow the way of Christ, which is penance. Here’s a link to the Douay-Rheims Bible: drbo.org/chapter/53001.htm

Also, the Pope was extremely close to our Blessed Mother, so there should be no thought of conspiracy or corruption to the Rosary.

The purpose of the Rosary is this: Mary wills us to meditate on the life of Christ, and Christ wills his Mother to be venerated. The Rosary fulfills each of these wishes. The Luminous Mysteries add to both wishes as well. Therefore, the Rosary is bettered with the Luminous Mysteries, and does not at all contradict the will of God.
 
Yep 👍

I have a strong devotion to Pope John Paul II, and feel that the Luminous Mysteries (which he suggested) were a special “gift” to the Church, for our times.

God bless.
 
Me, too! I like praying all four sets of the Rosary. Best stuff ever. 👍
 
I think in general questions like this really do highlight the traditionalist/non-traditionalist difference. I appreciate the feedback several folks have given on the citations from St. John Chrysostom and St. Thomas that I provided. I grant that they are less applicable to the Rosary than they are to, say, the Novus Ordo rite of the Mass. I cited them to illustrate the truly conservative mindset, held by our Fathers and Doctors but largely abandoned in our present day.

In general I would venture that those who have no particular trouble with the massive changes represented by the NO rite of the Mass have little trouble with the relatively minor change (by comparison) of the Rosary, while those who have struggled mightily with the larger and more disruptive liturgical changes have also taken the change in the Rosary rather harder.

As always your principle starting point determines your ending point.

P.S. Oh wow! I just noticed that this thread isn’t in the Traditional Catholic section…You know, if I had known that, I probably wouldn’t even have weighed in. Hmm, did it start over there, or am I just dazed and bewildered? Anyway, there you are.
 
I pray the luminous mysteries. I looked at it from both ways when I started the rosary, seeing the old way and the new way with the luminous mysteries. Initially I thought I’d go with the old way because the sense of tradition has great appeal. But I looked at the luminous mysteries and liked them, so I would up going with them. Meditating on them is good.
 
I like the Luminous Mysteries, especially the 4th (Transfiguration) and 5th (Institution of the Eucharist) I find that they are good for me to meditate on. But I’m just a youngster and I’ve only been saying the Rosary regularly for less than a year…so I’ve never not said them. What do I know, though.🤷
 
I posted this in the traditionalist forum, I think a moderator moved it.
 
In general I would venture that those who have no particular trouble with the massive changes represented by the NO rite of the Mass have little trouble with the relatively minor change (by comparison) of the Rosary, while those who have struggled mightily with the larger and more disruptive liturgical changes have also taken the change in the Rosary rather harder.
In general…but, not concrete. I don’t know why I feel the need to clarify this, but, I love the TLM, not a fan of the Ordinary Form of the Mass (even when it IS done reverantly). Drive 1.5 to 2 hours every Sunday for a Latin Mass. Still am thankful I can say the Luminous Mysteries.
 
Yes! I love the transition in the life of Jesus that it supplies between the Finding in the Temple and the Agony in the Garden. I especially love meditating upon the Wedding at Cana and the Institution of the Holy Eucharist.

To Jesus, Through Mary
 
Dear Levavi,
Thank you for the address to the Dominican Fathers!!!
I was wondering how one went about joining the Rosary confraternity! I didn’t know it was so easy!

To Jesus, through Mary!
 
Yes, and I sometimes pray other mysteries too, like the conversion of St Paul as a private devotion.

John Paul II only suggested the luminous mysteries , let’s leave it at that. There are no ulterior motives, only a suggestion to let our prayerlife be deepened.
That’s right-the Luminous Mysteries were SUGGESTED. If you want to use the ‘original’ [for want of a better word 🤷 ], then that’s fine, too.

One thing I’ve done in my ‘private’ Rosary-on certain days I offer the individual decades ‘in honor’ of particular Saints. As an example: on July 4th, I mention Saints and Blesseds who lived and/or worked in the United States (I always offer the first decade in honor of Mary Immaculate, our Patroness). On the Feast of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel, I offer the decades in honor of particular Carmelite Saints and Blesseds, with the first decade in honor of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel. This was something I learned from a priest who was the spiritual director of the OCDS group I formerly belonged to.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top