Do you pray the Luminous mysteries of the Rosary?

  • Thread starter Thread starter EphelDuath
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the LMs because they do preserve a certain contunuity to Christ’s life, but I don’t pray them regularly. I remember reading about them 20+ years ago in a hand-me-down copy of the Catholic Digest, and kept the article.

Unfortunately, we never used the Luminous Mysteries in school, or else I would have them memorized. As it is, I still get the Sorrowful Mysteries confused with the Stations of the Cross.
 
The naysayers really just want to feel like they have one over on everyone else. They know better than the pope himself. DS. It is rather tiresome. :yawn:
I find your comment to be uncharitable. And your second one of a simple yawn confirmed it.

I pray the LM’s - I love them. But I liked DavidPalm’s response and will be perusing his blog.

It’s one of the beauties of Holy Mother Church - “Here Comes Everybody”. There’s enough room here for a multitude of devotions - there’s no call for anyone to cast dark shadows on other people’s preferences.
 
No, simply because I have not memorized them as yet. Usually I pray the rosary when reading the mysteries is impractical (in a moving car, in bed, when walking somewhere.) I will get around to it some day.
 
Being an older gal, I remember the Joyful, Sorrowful and Glorious by heart - and so “say” them while driving. At home, if I remember I do the Luminous on Thursday when I have the leaflet.

Check this out:

YouTube has all the mysteries of the rosary, and the pictures/video are helpful to my meditation.
 
Okay, I’ll be the first curmudgeon 🙂 . No and for the two most frequently cited reasons. First, the Rosary has traditionally been considered Our Lady’s Psalter and the Luminous Mysteries break that up. Second, because I think that the last thing we needed at that time in the Church’s history was more change on top of change, change, change, especially to something so fundamental in the Church’s devotional life. If it isn’t broken, don’t try to fix it and all that.
And what if these mysteries were mystically given to John Paul II by Our Lady?? Would you be so slow to pray them then?

I think we will hear more about this later!! 😉

Praying the Luminous Mysteries is, amongst other things, a wonderful sign of filial devotion to the Holy Father and an act of love towards Our Lady.
 
I like the Luminous Mysteries. I often had wondered why Christ’s public ministry was not there so for me the Rosary with the Luminous Mysteries is finally complete.
I agree.

That is exactly why Pope John Paul II added the Luminous Mysteries - to give us a complete meditation on the life of Christ.

For Mary - everything was about her Son. - for us it should be the same.

Besides, who am I to question the inspiration of a saintly pope? I am nothing but dust.

If you always do
What you have always done,
You will always be
What you have always been.

uselessbeggar

🙂
 
I pray the Luminous mysteries every Thursday as Pope John Paul II prescribed, and I also periodically will pray the Luminous mysteries if I am doing a second set of the day (such as a private Rosary versus a Rosary prayed for a deceased member of the Church). I most times will meditate on a different miracle on each Hail Mary bead of the Second Luminous mystery (The Wedding Feast at Cana), and will meditate on a different parable on each Hail Mary bead of the Third Luminous mystery (The Proclamation of the Kingdom of God). This helps me to maintain focus and to remember both His miraculous divine presence and that he came to teach us and to show us the way.

Peace.

DGB
 
🙂
I don’t pray the luminous mysteries.

Because, it is my understanding, that the rosary was “revealed” to St Dominic by the Virgin Mary.
 
I pray the Luminous Mysteries on every Thursday throughout the liturgical year, as well as on the Sundays of Ordinary Time between Epiphany and Lent. 🙂

I converted in 2005 so I’ve never known the Rosary without the Luminous Mysteries! I opine that Our Lady revealed them to Pope John Paul II although he did not admit it out of humility.
 
🙂 Is that a fact?
It’s just my opinion. Call it a hunch. He had a special relationship with Our Lady; besides, has any pope ever announced a private revelation? It would probably just create confusion.
 
For several years I have said the Rosary every day, the Luminous mysteries on Thursday. It’s odd that it took 800 years to add the only mysteries that touch on Christ’s brief earthly ministry. It really fleshes it out.

Like many people I had not said the Rosary in years. I was flipping TV channels around 7:30 and happened the Holy Land Rosary with Fr. Mitch Pacwa and saying the Rosary made me so happy-it must have been the sentiment. I told myself, I’d like to do it again tomorrow. The next day it made me just as happy. I immediately told myself that I should be doing this every day and I have kept it up daily for three years missing about a dozen times, usually due to illness. It is so important. You could probably offer it up for a different intention daily and not repeat for the rest of your life, the world is that needy physically and spiritually, not to mention the Poor Souls.

Acuddymar
 
I love the LM’s and appreciate that the LM shows us more of Christ’s life and ministry before his passion.
 
This is Thursday, and I awoke with an excitement - today is the day of the Luminous Mysteries! I love Thursdays! I normally begin my day with the rosary and find time throughout the day to continue it. Sometimes it takes all day. Sometimes I finish as my nightly prayers. Some meditations take longer than others. Look at each meditaiton as if through the eyes of Mary. (By the way, I do feel that they were inspired.)

Yes, had to memorize them. I clipped a copy that was in the local Catholic newspaper and kept it with me all the time until I had them memorized. The clipping is still in my truck.

The luminous mysteries show me the real, human adult man that Jesus is. He shows us how He dealt with everyday people in settings that were normal and comfortable for us, how He helped us understand, how he led us and how He will always be with us. It shows us how we began to walk with Him.

All the while, thinking of Mary our Mother, standing by watching in wonder as she sees her Child as the perfect leader of men.
  1. Think of Him as the one being baptized --and the one with each of us as we were baptized. Pray for the unbaptized.
  2. Think of Him at a wedding with family & friends - at the wedding or our family & friends. What would you want His present to you be? Pray for those who married outside the Church.
  3. Think of him sharing His calling to his vocation with friends and family. Pray that He will show you the way to use your gifts to His honor in whatever vocation you choose. Ask for guidance in choosing a vocation - religious or secular.
  4. Think of Him as the great teacher Who needs to go to the extent of every technology available to get His students to understand. Pray that you and all you know and love will someday join the Saints in Heaven and have glorified bodies.
  5. Think of Him as the friend Who will never leave your side, Whose love truly will never die. Pray that you will be worthy of that friendship.
Don’t just say the words, live the words, and maybe you will come to love them too.

So that’s this Thursday…
I love meditation. Started a meditation on The Lord’s Prayer – took me several days to get by “Our” --It’s an amazing word that requires a great deal of faith to fully accept! Think about it!

Love & prayers,
Kak
 
Thank you for this lovely meditation, Kak. Hopefully you’ll be a true source of inspiration to all who follow this thread. Don’t let anyone or anything pull you away from this path you are on.

God bless you.

uselessbeggar

👍
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top