Do you support imposing your belief system on non-believers?

• Thread starter Thread starter K9Buck
  • Start date Start date
Gay people wanting to be…like a man and woman…are not forced to to observe Christian definitions.
Of marriage, Christian definitions of marriage, sorry I guess I should have spelt that out.

Just like divorce is legal but no one is forcing Catholics to divorce, nor is the church forced to recognized civil divorce, gay marriage is legal but no one is forcing Catholics to enter homosexual unions.

40.png
goout:
Gay people wanting to be…like a man and woman…are not forced to to observe Christian definitions.
Of marriage, Christian definitions of marriage, sorry I guess I should have spelt that out.

Just like divorce is legal but no one is forcing Catholics to divorce, nor is the church forced to recognized civil divorce, gay marriage is legal but no one is forcing Catholics to enter homosexual unions.
So let me see if I understand you…
when we say that men and women uniquely form something called “marriage”…because they uniquely among all relationships can form a family…
you see Christian vodoo going on.

So I say 'hey, the sun rises in the east and sets in the west, and it makes heat and light and makes things grow"…
Am I quoting St Augustine or something?

Last edited:
when we say that men and women uniquely form something called “marriage”…because they uniquely among all relationships can form a family…
Not voodoo no, just one opinion that you should definitely use when the church is deciding if a couple can marry. But just like the government allows second marriages even if they violate Catholic teaching, the government has no reason not to allow gay marriages for the same reason. Unless you think Catholic church teachings should be imposed on non-Catholics, which is to be fair the topic of the thread.

I don’t speak for most Catholics and get in trouble when I say things like . . .

No, I don’t support the law stepping in to stop sexual behavior between two consenting adults, even if said behavior goes against my faith.
Hi blackforest,

But that’s a separate issue from recognizing same-sex marriage and giving all the legal benefits therein that previously belonged to the nuclear family.

I realize this position isn’t necessarily winnable, especially in the northwest, but it’s what the Church advocates for in societies.

If we don’t honestly believe if it makes any difference and that recognizing same-sex marriage doesn’t cause any social harm, then that gets into a deeper question of why a person would maintain that there’s anything sinful about homosexual relations at all. Or at least that would be a big issue for me personally, because I believe there always needs to be a union between faith and reason. If I believed it made no difference I’m not sure if I could continue to be a practicing Catholic because I can’t just arbitrarily believe that something is sinful for no reason. It would be like telling me it is a sin to wear red shoes, but not a sin to wear blue shoes.

Could you speak more about this? I am interested in what your exact view is and where you’re coming from.

Peace.

Last edited:
40.png
goout:
Not voodoo no, just one opinion that you should definitely use when the church is deciding if a couple can marry. But just like the government allows second marriages even if they violate Catholic teaching, the government has no reason not to allow gay marriages for the same reason. Unless you think Catholic church teachings should be imposed on non-Catholics, which is to be fair the topic of the thread.
The government does allow gay marriage.
I honestly don’t care that much. I think comitted relationships can be recognized by the civil law.
What I do care about is the equation of it with the marriage of man and woman, because that is a deception, and deception causes oppression.
and no one wants that

What I do care about is the equation of it with the marriage of man and woman, because that is a deception, and deception causes oppression.
Why would you consider a marriage as defined by the government to be equal to one sanctioned by the church? The government also uses the word marriage to describe when someone divorces and remarries.

I don’t think people are deceived that the government and Catholic Church have different definitions of marriage, and that what might be legal under some might not under the other. It goes both ways, what’s the age the Catholic church considers someone able to marry? Many US states have a higher age.

They just aren’t the same thing being discussed, even if they use the same name.

For example, do you oppose same-sex marriage? If so, would you also support banning premarital sex under penalty of law?
So I think there is a vast difference between the government having the right to define the marriage relationship under law in a way which provides a preferred status BECAUSE on a subjective level such a definition encourages the protection and support of children, and banning behaviors that are subjectively immoral (on a secular level) at the penalty of fee or jail time. In other words, defining something with the purpose of conveying a benefit to those who engage in that behavior, is different than defining something for the purpose of imposing criminal punishment.

Last edited:
The passing of a law is an imposition on those that dont like it or agree with it ?

the government has no reason not to allow gay marriages
The government used to understand marriage as between man and woman and as such to be a foundational institution of civil society. For that reason it lent support to marriage through laws.

Gay marriage is not of the same significance to society and while there is a case to provide a legal framework for it, the redefinition of marriage was a highly questionable path to choose.

So I say 'hey, the sun rises in the east and sets in the west, and it makes heat and light and makes things grow"…
Those are scientific facts and cannot be disputed.
This is more of an intellectual concept and they can disagree with it since it is only philosophically evident. Besides the Church uses specific definition for clarity and a secular government has the freewill to use a different one if they want and that’s the reality.

Last edited:
Not a single person was forced to enter a gay marriage without their consent. Conversely gay people wanting to enter a government recognized union were forced to observe Christian definitions.

This was the mistake in my opinion, getting the government involved in marriage, government has principles such as equal treatment under the law that are going to conflict with religious teachings on marriage.
It’s kind of hard to get the government un-involved in marriage, given that the concept of marriage was originally meant to maintain order in society, not for religious reasons. A man who married a woman had the sole right to have relations with her (adulteresses were often divorced or killed), thus ensuring that any children she had would be his, and he also assumed the responsibility of supporting his wife and children. The offspring of his marriage would also inherit his property and assume other responsibilities. Social classes and tribes determined who they wanted to remain in the powerful sectors of society by controlling who a man could marry (for example, can’t be someone poor, can’t be someone from outside the tribe, etc). The Christian religious concept of “one man, one woman” came along later.

Society has always encouraged marriage to clarify inheritance and also because until relatively recently, there was no reliable birth control available to women and it was extremely difficult for a single mother to support herself and her children, so marriage was a way to try and make sure a man stepped up and took on this responsibility. Of course men still died or ran out on their families so you still had single moms and fatherless kids struggling and needing public assistance, but at least the numbers were reduced.

Nowadays the government still tries to encourage marriage through things like tax breaks and pension benefits. So the government has always been intimately involved with marriage since it was invented.

The best one could do is have a dual system of civil marriage by the state and then, if desired, religious marriage in the church of one’s choice, which would allow churches to exclude couples who didn’t meet the religious criteria of the church and avoid any risk that a church would one day be forced to marry a particular couple. However, I doubt that would satisfy people who are very opposed to gay marriage.

Last edited:
Besides, in a free society, it would be a form of tyranny to IMPOSE one’s beliefs on anyone else. It’s one thing to express those beliefs, and quite another to try to force them on other people.
But does society not do that as it is? Are liberal, secular values not being imposed on society under the banner of ‘tolerance’? Is there such a thing as a ‘free society’ where values are not imposed on others and enforced by law?

The best one could do is have a dual system of civil marriage by the state and then, if desired, religious marriage in the church of one’s choice, which would allow churches to exclude couples who didn’t meet the religious criteria of the church and avoid any risk that a church would one day be forced to marry a particular couple. However, I doubt that would satisfy people who are very opposed to gay marriage.
Given that’s basically what we have, I agree it would not.

I realize this position isn’t necessarily winnable, especially in the northwest, but it’s what the Church advocates for in societies.
Could you speak more about this? I am interested in what your exact view is and where you’re coming from.
Fair questions.

As indicated by the the words in bold, you are talking about a religious belief. A number of religions hold the belief, but it’s still religious. I’m a staunch believer in religious freedom. This means not trampling on the convictions and practices of others; it also means not imposing any set of religious beliefs on the general population. Religious freedom, when exercised correctly, protects us all, up to and including atheists and agnostics.

Now I realize that pro-choicers apply this same argument to abortion, but that is different because another human being is killed. There’s a human rights violation going on, whereas you cannot make the same argument about consenting adults.
If we don’t honestly believe if it makes any difference and that recognizing same-sex marriage doesn’t cause any social harm, then that gets into a deeper question of why a person would maintain that there’s anything sinful about homosexual relations at all.
Sin causes social harm. Yet this fact doesn’t preclude outlawing all sin, does it? Replace the words “same-sex marriage” with “adultery.” The latter certainly poses social harm and has wrecked countless marriages. Adultery is legal, but that doesn’t mean that society “recognizes” it as something acceptable, as evidence by the majority of married Americans being faithful to their spouses. Who Cheats More? The Demographics of Infidelity in America | Institute for Family Studies

Thanks for clarifying.

I agree that criminalizing any same-sex behavior is problematic in a modern society.

As far as opposing same-sex marriage: I don’t agree that this is a religious belief, per se. A person can very effectively (and should) argue for legal recognition and benefits of heterosexual marriages and nuclear families purely through reason.

I also don’t think pro-life is based on a religious belief, per se. The pro-life lobby can and does argue its viewpoint purely through reason.

I think this is further evidenced from the fact that pro-life has a wide coalition of people and even some atheists are on board with it.

Peace.

Last edited:
Another simple way to consider the issue might be:

Some Christian denominations and other faiths in the US have decided to allow gay marriage.
  1. Are you prepared to enforce a Catholic definition of marriage on those churches, stripping them of their freedom of religion?
  2. Are you prepared for when, once the precedent is set, that power is used against you?

Last edited:
@Dan123:

But again, that’s a completely separate issue. Nobody needs to march into a private building and stop a religious ceremony from taking place. Same-sex marriage is a civic and legal issue and the benefits attached to it. Its recognition or lack thereof doesn’t have to be defended or opposed by quoting the Bible.

I know books can take awhile to go through, but if anybody is interested, this book by a group of Princeton graduates does a good job of outlining the secular reasons for only recognizing heterosexual marriage, and it draws from arguments from Thomism as well as more modern explanations:

Last edited:
I may in fact buy a copy. I’ll be disappointed if it’s just the old “they can’t have kids” argument. That’s the only secular argument that to me comes close to making sense. The major issue being a) lots of gay couples have kids b) we don’t require people to have kids to stay married. If there’s more in there and it doesn’t resort to religious arguments it’ll be interesting.

Back