Do you think this is a disrespectful thing to do?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Rosie11
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
The intent is what matters here! For example, I’m pretty sure that most people wouldn’t object to a child placing their favorite stuffed animal in or near the home Nativity.

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

Personally, my children will enjoy the Fisher-Price Little People Nativity.
LOL that’s our nativity, too. It was a gift to one of our kiddos from the god-parents.
 
Not a distant authority figure but, yes, an authority figure, in which one has a personal relationship.
My point was that, if you don’t feel comfortable joking with or about someone, then it be impossible to have a personal relationship with that person. Especially if you’re someone who is naturally light-hearted.
I think it’s fine as a way to teach that Jesus came for all, but not as a joke.
Why is it wrong to joke about religion? I don’t mean specific cases where one insults or ridicules God or the Church, I mean in general?
 
If you don’t feel comfortable joking with or about someone, then it be impossible to have a personal relationship with that person
In all charity, I have to disagree and I suspect that many who have ever been hurt by being joked about by a friend might feel the same way. I dont think in order to have a relationship with someone I need to joke about them. Have fun and laugh, joke WITH them, yes. That is different.
Why is it wrong to joke about religion? I don’t mean specific cases where one insults or ridicules God or the Church, I mean in general?
How do you know where to draw the line in joking about God?
 
Last edited:
Thank you Father for this explanation - I can still remember the shock on Mother Superiors face in early middle school regarding writing Xmas on our cards. “It is Christmas, children” - Mother felt society was removing Christ from our lives. And I can remember also being instructed by this same nun not to write on the card ‘have a merry Christmas’, because merry meant getting drunk, and we didn’t counsel others to grave sin.
I am sorry that you experienced that. It sounds like they needed professional help but none was available for them.
 
Last edited:
As a digression, I’d anticipate a diversity of opinions on the Darth Vader grotesque on the National Cathedral (Cathedral of St. Peter and St. Paul). Darth Vader grotesque - Wikipedia

Probably. Yes, it’s Episcopal, but I’ve been there many times, between 1960 and 1988.

Not to worship.
 
And I can remember also being instructed by this same nun not to write on the card ‘have a merry Christmas’, because merry meant getting drunk, and we didn’t counsel others to grave sin.
40.png
TK421:
It sounds like they needed professional help but none was available for them.
Could have been a cultural thing of the sisters.
 
40.png
adamhovey1988:
Why would Yoda be at the Nativity?
Because everyone, even our imaginary characters, bows to God.
Obviously Yoda would not be there.

Yoda lived and died a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. :roll_eyes:

He must have sent his Force Ghost. 👻
 
Last edited:
PS.

DO NOT Google the words “Yoda Caganer”

😳
(Heh. That smiley is called 😳 :poop:)
 
Last edited:
I get the sense the OP wasn’t working with that intention especially as he/she was concerned about their parents seeing it…again it seems like something someone perhaps a teenager would do to be clever and ironic…how good that we grow out of these things in later life

I think even at that age, though, I would not have put something like this in a Nativity … animals are fine as they are God’s creatures so even a giraffe or something wouldn’t be disrespectful, just cute.

Irony and cleverness to make fun of a holy depiction is not cute. A Nativity in a house or a church or a public square is not a fun item, it is a thing to be treated with love and reverence.

Someone who is a lover of God, a defender of God, and how few we have of those, would have flung the thing on its face before the crib to show that all false things fall on their faces before the God of heaven and earth
 
Last edited:
PPS.

This is a phenomenon so old and charming it used to get printed in family comic panels in newspapers.

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

(“Newspapers” is when the intertubes was printed on dead trees. Now turn down that jungle music and get off my lawn! 👴 )
 
At first, i thought it was harmless and cute, still, do. However, after reading some other comments i question my first response. I feel divided and confused about this. Of course, i don’t yet have a Nativity scene, that will come when i actually own a home instead of a tiny apartment.
 
These are small children. They are being cute, not ironic or clever
 
The Magi, depicted in basically every Nativity scene, were Zoroastrian astrologers. Not comparing Yoda to the Magi, but by your logic, the Magi should be excluded for being from a religious tradition whose sensibilities are foreign to Christianity.
This is a really fascinating response about the Zoroastrian astrologers Father. I’d never heard of this before. Do you or anybody have more information to read about this?
 
Last edited:
You know…it’s very possible that Jesus might have really enjoyed Star Wars!
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top