I
imo
Guest
In this case is a Mass with the Saturday liturgy starting at 3 pm. But would it mattered if it was the Sunday liturgy? Thanks!
The canon does not distinguish between the liturgy used.Not if it’s the Saturday Mass and not the Vigil Mass for Sunday
Generally but not always. I believe there are churches in Kansas City and Las Vegas that have Masses at 2:30 on Saturday that fulfill the Sunday obligation. There may be others.4 PM is the earliest the vigil Mass can be celebrated, AFAIK. Any Mass prior to that would not fulfill the Sunday obligation.
Is it the case that the “Sunday” masses must fall within a 24hour window? I imagine so.I believe there are churches in Kansas City and Las Vegas that have Masses at 2:30 on Saturday that fulfill the Sunday obligation. There may be others.
Don’t know the answer to that.I believe there are churches in Kansas City and Las Vegas that have Masses at 2:30 on Saturday that fulfill the Sunday obligation. There may be others.
Rau:![]()
Don’t know the answer to that.I believe there are churches in Kansas City and Las Vegas that have Masses at 2:30 on Saturday that fulfill the Sunday obligation. There may be others.
The answer is in the plain reading of the canon above (which is apt to the obligation to assist at Mass on both Sundays and other days of obligation).
Assist at Mass either: (i) On the feast day itself (24 continuous hours reckoned from midnight), or (ii) in the evening of the preceding day. ie A larger than 24hour window.
No, I will not tell you when evening begins. I will only tell you that (according to my understanding) there are legitimate differing views on the matter.
If the bishop says so, it’s fine. Doesn’t matter what liturgy it is, though ideally it should be the Mass for Sunday. AFAIK there is no “24-hour window”. If I’m not mistaken, “evening” can be any time after noon, though 4 pm Saturday is the usual cutoff time.In this case is a Mass with the Saturday liturgy starting at 3 pm. But would it mattered if it was the Sunday liturgy? Thanks!
That is a question for the local pastor. There may be an indult or dispensation in play.In this case is a Mass with the Saturday liturgy starting at 3 pm. But would it mattered if it was the Sunday liturgy? Thanks!
No, Jim. There is absolutely no requirement for any certain readings for a person to fulfill their obligation for Sunday or a Holy Day.Not if it’s the Saturday Mass and not the Vigil Mass for Sunday
No.Is it the case that the “Sunday” masses must fall within a 24hour window? I imagine so.
It does not matter which liturgy is used. For the time see Edward N. Peters, JD, JCD, who states:In this case is a Mass with the Saturday liturgy starting at 3 pm. But would it mattered if it was the Sunday liturgy? Thanks!
http://www.canonlaw.info/2008/11/time-period-for-fulfilling-sunday.htmlThe leading British-Irish commentary on canon law reads as follows: “What is ‘the evening of the previous day’? Despite the view of some commentators that this should be interpreted as beginning only at 1400 hours (2 pm) on that day, it is the firm view of this commentary that the evening of the previous day begins at midday (12 noon) on that day itself. In some dioceses there is a local regulation to the effect that the so-called vigil or anticipated Mass may not be celebrated before, say, 5 pm or 6 pm: this is normally for pastoral reasons, e.g. to facilitate weddings or funerals in the parish and other churches. Those regulations do not in any way concern the time prescribed for fulfilling the obligation to assist at Mass : thus, e.g., if . . . a person were to attend a nuptial Mass in the early afternoon on a Saturday, that person would thereby have fulfilled the [Sunday] obligation.” (Fr.) Raymond Browne, Letter & Spirit (1995) 702, emphasis added. For a contrary view, see J. Huels, CLSA New Comm (2001) 1445.
For reasons that go beyond what I can present in a blog post, I hold the British-Irish position on this point, but, even if ours turned out to be minority view, it is, I suggest, more than sufficient (per 1983 CIC 14, among others) to defend the conscience of one who attends any Mass in a Catholic rite, beginning any time after 12 noon on Saturday but before midnight between Sunday and Monday, in fulfillment of one’s Sunday obligation.