F
freesoulhope
Guest
Can I believe in aliens, alien abduction, and be a Catholic believing Christian? What do you think?
I
I
Sure. (But then again, I’m not Catholic. However, I have read the CCC many times over.)Can I believe in aliens, alien abduction, and be a Catholic believing Christian? What do you think?
I
An intresting reply. Do you believe in Gray Aliens?Sure. (But then again, I’m not Catholic. However, I have read the CCC many times over.)
I think it’s possible that such aliens exist. I don’t go around thinking about them much, though.An intresting reply. Do you believe in Gray Aliens?
If not, why not.
You are as free to believe in the existence of “aliens” as you are free to believe in the existence of undocumented species of animals on earth.Can I believe in aliens, alien abduction, and be a Catholic believing Christian? What do you think?
I
Being free to believe something is one thing. But does “Catholic theology” allow me to believe, with out contradicting one self…You are as free to believe in the existence of “aliens” as you are free to believe in the existence of undocumented species of animals on earth.
The likelihood of “aliens” being out there is another topic.
It seems to me what you are really asking is: “Can Catholics believe in reality, even if that reality seems to contradict Catholic teaching.”Can I believe in aliens, alien abduction, and be a Catholic believing Christian? What do you think?
I
Does “Catholic theology” allow you to believe in the existence of undocumented species of animals on earth, with out contradicting one self?DeFide;1834063:
Being free to believe something is one thing. But does “Catholic theology” allow me to believe, with out contradicting one self…You are as free to believe in the existence of “aliens” as you are free to believe in the existence of undocumented species of animals on earth.
Only if the alien refused to submit to the Roman Pontiff.Another question is, if actual Aliens with a conscience on par with ours along with an equal or higher intelligence did exist, would the Church be against a human marrying one?
You might have to get a ruling from whatever diocese the alien’s planet resides in!Another question is, if actual Aliens with a conscience on par with ours along with an equal or higher intelligence did exist, would the Church be against a human marrying one?
Mars is not too much smaller than earth where it would make a large difference. Perhaps a few seconds difference in a lifetime. Oh, now I thought too much into your statement. You mean the actual Mars year and Earth years in regards to the amount of time it taks to orbit the sun. Ya, that would be weird. I overthought the statement and thought you meant how time goes faster on Mars than it does on Earth since there is less gravity.Sort of like if we established a colony on Mars. And people were being born there and here on earth. What would be a person’s age? Their earth time or their Mars time.
If there are aliens with eternal soulds, they would not necessarily have made the smae mistakes as us. Therefore, they might not have sinned and turned against God and therefore not in need of Jesus or Catholicism with popes and stuff. There would be no original sin.You might have to get a ruling from whatever diocese the alien’s planet resides in!
Actually, now THERE’S food for thought… suppose one day aliens actually do arrive on Earth. What happens if the first thing they say isn’t “Take me to your leader”, but rather, “We bring greeting from Pope Blar VIII, representative of Christ and the Holy Catholic Church on our planet. Oh… and you might wanna take a look at our scriptures too…” (I smell a book!!) First, you’d have to debate if they were genuine and not trying to take over or cause chaos on Earth. (And how in the world would you even go about doing that?!) Then you’d have the conspiracy theories of every other denomination on Earth, not wanting to believe that it’s true. Then the Vatican would have to figure out how to interpret it. Do we now have to name alien cardinals? Or name cardinals to THEIR conclave? It could make your head spin…!
Whether there is life elsewhere in the universe I don’t know but I don’t think it would contradict any Church teachings.Can I believe in aliens, alien abduction, and be a Catholic believing Christian? What do you think?
I
And how do you know they weren’t?Before people began to be fascinated by the possibility of extraterrestrial aliens, people believed they were having contact with all sorts of odd persons from elves to demons.
I’ve given some thought to this, because I’ve had the plot of a novel based on this question rolling around in my head for years. I’m pretty sure that the Catholic Church’s position would be that marriage with an alien would be legitimate only if the two species could naturally produce offspring together. Since this is highly unlikely, the Church would probably be against intermarriage. But in the *Star Trek *universe, for instance, the Church would have no reason to oppose intermarriage between humans and Vulcans or Klingons or whatever. In the novel (of which only a few paragraphs have ever been written!), I postulate one species (actually a cloned, genetically engineered species, which raises a whole other can of worms–but my supposition is that if such a species existed and showed evidence of sentience, the Church would recognize its legitimacy even if its origins were questionable) with whom intermarriage is possible (the catch is that this species is very unattractive to humans–actually I imagine them to be the “Greys” of alien abduction lore), and another species of shapeshifters, which thus has the ability to take on forms very attractive to humans, but which cannot naturally interbreed with humans. The Vatican thus falls foul of human bigots on the one hand for supporting intermarriage with the more despised race, and gets a reputation for bigotry on the other by condemning most of the intermarriages (with the attractive shapeshifters) that are actually happening.Another question is, if actual Aliens with a conscience on par with ours along with an equal or higher intelligence did exist, would the Church be against a human marrying one?