Does anyone carry cash in their pockets anymore?

  • Thread starter Thread starter lizaanne
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lizaanne

Guest
A thread over in Faith and Finances got me wondering - does anyone carry cash anymore? Or do most people carry only plastic?

Personally I never carry cash - I only get some if I know I’m going somewhere that won’t take plastic, or where I will be purchasing small items such as going to estate sales or garage sales, or the farmer’s market. Otherwise I never have cash on me anymore.

My prediction is that I am in the majority on this one - will be interesting to see.

~Liza
 
At first, I jumped to vote for “No,” but then realized I have about $2-$3 in change in my purse at all times. I feel silly depositing change into my checking/savings account, so I just keep it. 😃
 
I carry very little cash. Just enough to get a sandwich once in awhile or McDonald’s sweet tea. ( I love that stuff!)
 
Yes. We try to pay for most things in cash, even larger purchases. If we use plastic, we always use the bank debit card. 🙂 We don’t believe in credit cards. :o
 
IF I have any cash in my purse it’s negligible and probably only there because someone was paying me back for something… 🤷
I stick to plastic.
 
I carry both. I feel lost without either. I carry $60 minimum or more and I also carry credit cards.
1 major credit card
1 bank card (which technically isn’t a credit card)
and 3 dept store credit cards, lol!

I pay cash for gas and food and small items.
I make sure I carry a major credit card just incase I want to buy something that costs more than the cash I am carrying, and also for emergencies.

I also pay off any bills I get in full. I never paid a finance charge and I had credit cards for over 15 years. 👍
 
DH and I pay for everything we can in cash. We take out a set amount each week and when its gone, its gone. It pays for groceries, entertainment, eating out, and some spending money for us. The only thing we use plastic for is bills (on our debit card) and our credit card we use for online purchases to keep our credit current since we don’t have any debt.
 
Plastic all the way, though I wish we got in the habit of carrying some cash on hand, often we find ourselves in situations where we need a few bucks for something and we don’t have it, kinda annoying.
 
Well darn it - I should have specified what type of “plastic” I meant!!! :rolleyes: I think I was thinking more in the line of debit cards - putting everything on credit is a totally different discussion I suppose. I was thinking more along the lines of cash vs. debit cards. I don’t own a credit card (aside from some store cards that I only use for sales and then pay them off when I get home). My husband has one, but we use that mostly for travel when we go on vacation. Guess I should have remembered that there are folks out there who do own credit cards!! :o

~Liza
 
Nightmare scenario. You are miles and miles from home. You fill up the car with fuel and there’s something wrong with your card. It wont scan. 😊
Oh, for some cash…😃
 
I like to use cash. It’s easier to budget things if I’m trying to limit my expenditure. Also it’s a little creepy to me that all of my purchases made with a card are stored in several databases somewhere. Sometimes I’m a bit of a luddite. 🙂

–Jen
 
All the time. We never pay for anything (apart from our child sponsorships) by credit card. Debit cards and cheques are not used in Japan. It is a cash society here. We even paid for our house in cash. Gearoidin
 
I like to use cash. It’s easier to budget things if I’m trying to limit my expenditure.
That is too funny! We use cards specifically because it’s easier for us to budget things, and see exactly where our money is going. We only spend what our monthly budget allows, though, even using cards, so I wonder if we’re weird or something? 😛
 
I keep a $20 bill tucked in my purse for emergencies, and I carry something up to $20 beyond that. Typically I get a $20 bill either from the ATM or the grocery store and when it’s about gone I get another one. For smallish purchases I use cash – lunch, an item or two from the drug or grocery store, etc. For larger purchases I use either a debit or credit card.

The thing that stops me from using the debit card more is finding unexpected fees for using it. I discovered a $1 fee from the gas station, for example. I switched gas stations but it annoys me to find charges like that.
 
debit card or cash are our only options here. Been that way for over a decade. Smartest thing we ever did IMHO. Even so, I rarely have more than $5 cash on me. 🙂
 
That is too funny! We use cards specifically because it’s easier for us to budget things, and see exactly where our money is going.
Well, if I have $n for food for the week, and that money lives in a particular part of my wallet, I don’t have to think about how much was the tax on this, and did I spend that. If there’s money in the pocket, that’s how much money I can spend. 🙂

–Jen
 
I used to never need cash, until I had teenagers! Now I like to have some handy for those moments of “Mom, can I have $5 for gas/food/movies/pay back so-and-so” The list can go on and on!

I used to like just using the debit card, but now that I make the effort to keep cash on hand, I’m starting to prefer the old fashion way of using green backs. 😃
 
In my purse, I’ll have about a hundred or so all the time. It’s just a habit that I have now but, use our checking account debit card most of the time.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top