Does Catholic persecution implicitly affirm validity?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Patty23
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Patty23

Guest
Not so sure why my post was removed, might have posted it on a wrong sectio. Please let me know I don’t want to get banned here.

Why do unbelievers or blasphemous acts seem to mock the Catholic rituals and practices?

Does this not implicitly suggest Catholicsm is the true chruch?

Why would the devil take time to mock icons, the cross, nuns and priests, the host, Virgin Mary, the Pope, if they’re not from the true Church? Popular media that hates Christians almost always refer to the Catholic Church.

Do protestants honestly feel like saying “well they can mock the pictures or the statues they’re IDOLS anyway”?

I think Jesus in Mat 12:25 said something that applies to what I’m saying.

“Every kingdom divided against itself will be ruined, and every city or household divided against itself will not stand.”

What are your thoughts?
 
I completely agree. That’s the same kind of thing we saw when the Black Mass crisis was going on. By desecrating the Body of Jesus they affirm its validity and power.
 
I’m not sure this works very well. I’ve seen plenty of catholics mock protestants, christians mock muslims, and so forth. The protestant group I grew up in had the exact same mentality - every time someone said a bad word about them it was proof that they were right.

People mock that which is other to them. People also tend to see what is aimed at them rather than what is aimed at others. Not sure there’s much need to invoke the supernatural when human badness will do.
 
“If I were not a Catholic, and were looking for the true Church in the world today, I would look for the one Church which did not get along well with the world; in other words, I would look for the Church which the world hates. My reason for doing this would be, that if Christ is in any one of the churches of the world today, He must still be hated as He was when He was on earth in the flesh. If you would find Christ today, then find the Church that does not get along with the world. Look for the Church that is hated by the world, as Christ was hated by the world. Look for the Church which is accused of being behind the times, as Our Lord was accused of being ignorant and never having learned. Look for the Church which men sneer at as socially inferior, as they sneered at Our Lord because He came from Nazareth. Look for the Church which is accused of having a devil, as Our Lord was accused of being possessed by Beelzebub, the Prince of Devils. Look for the Church which the world rejects because it claims it is infallible, as Pilate rejected Christ because he called Himself the Truth. Look for the Church which amid the confusion of conflicting opinions, its members love as they love Christ, and respect its voice as the very voice of its Founder, and the suspicion will grow, that if the Church is unpopular with the spirit of the world, then it is unworldly, and if it is unworldly, it is other-worldly. Since it is other-worldly, it is infinitely loved and infinitely hated as was Christ Himself. But only that which is Divine can be infinitely hated and infinitely loved. Therefore the Church is Divine.”
  • Bishop Fulton J. Sheen
 
I’m not sure this works very well. I’ve seen plenty of catholics mock protestants, christians mock muslims, and so forth. The protestant group I grew up in had the exact same mentality - every time someone said a bad word about them it was proof that they were right.

People mock that which is other to them. People also tend to see what is aimed at them rather than what is aimed at others. Not sure there’s much need to invoke the supernatural when human badness will do.
I understand what you’re saying. My point is not so much within Christianity, but from the outside.

Satanists target Catholic rituals. It’s not so much about what’the true religion is but what true Christianity is. I hope you see the distinction.

Of course muslims think both Catholics and protenstants are wrong. That’s why I pointed out Satanists, They seem to blaspheme Catholic rituals. My main point was, insofar as what the true brand of Christianity is, it seems it’s the Catholic Church based what I mentioned in the original post.
 
“If I were not a Catholic, and were looking for the true Church in the world today, I would look for the one Church which did not get along well with the world; in other words, I would look for the Church which the world hates. My reason for doing this would be, that if Christ is in any one of the churches of the world today, He must still be hated as He was when He was on earth in the flesh. If you would find Christ today, then find the Church that does not get along with the world. Look for the Church that is hated by the world, as Christ was hated by the world. Look for the Church which is accused of being behind the times, as Our Lord was accused of being ignorant and never having learned. Look for the Church which men sneer at as socially inferior, as they sneered at Our Lord because He came from Nazareth. Look for the Church which is accused of having a devil, as Our Lord was accused of being possessed by Beelzebub, the Prince of Devils. Look for the Church which the world rejects because it claims it is infallible, as Pilate rejected Christ because he called Himself the Truth. Look for the Church which amid the confusion of conflicting opinions, its members love as they love Christ, and respect its voice as the very voice of its Founder, and the suspicion will grow, that if the Church is unpopular with the spirit of the world, then it is unworldly, and if it is unworldly, it is other-worldly. Since it is other-worldly, it is infinitely loved and infinitely hated as was Christ Himself. But only that which is Divine can be infinitely hated and infinitely loved. Therefore the Church is Divine.”
  • Bishop Fulton J. Sheen
Of course someone more articulate has thought of what I’m saying. Thanks for the share 🙂 I’m still wondering though what protestants feel about the Black Mass or or when Lady Gaga blasphemed Mama Mary and when she wore a nun’s habit.

I don’t care about Lady Gaga though, just saying.
 
I understand what you’re saying. My point is not so much within Christianity, but from the outside.

Satanists target Catholic rituals. It’s not so much about what’the true religion is but what true Christianity is. I hope you see the distinction.

Of course muslims think both Catholics and protenstants are wrong. That’s why I pointed out Satanists, They seem to blaspheme Catholic rituals. My main point was, insofar as what the true brand of Christianity is, it seems it’s the Catholic Church based what I mentioned in the original post.
I somewhat wonder…when I was protestant we saw almost all “Christian” persecution and mockery as aimed at protestants. Of course we had the same events, but different ones were drawn to our attention. In our case it was the animosity that street preaching acquired - any limitation on public preaching or distributing tracts was seen as proof our way was right. (They’d have put it as “Satan is trying to silence us” or somesuch.)

I also suspect that catholicism has an appeal for being older and having rites. I just can’t see a “black” version of a Baptist service - what would they do, drink real wine at communion and have a woman preach for an hour?
 
Not so sure why my post was removed, might have posted it on a wrong sectio. Please let me know I don’t want to get banned here.

Why do unbelievers or blasphemous acts seem to mock the Catholic rituals and practices?

Does this not implicitly suggest Catholicsm is the true chruch?

Why would the devil take time to mock icons, the cross, nuns and priests, the host, Virgin Mary, the Pope, if they’re not from the true Church? Popular media that hates Christians almost always refer to the Catholic Church.

Do protestants honestly feel like saying “well they can mock the pictures or the statues they’re IDOLS anyway”?

I think Jesus in Mat 12:25 said something that applies to what I’m saying.

“Every kingdom divided against itself will be ruined, and every city or household divided against itself will not stand.”

What are your thoughts?
One could make the same argument about the people who mock and persecute the Orthodox church (my church) and other churches. I know the Southern Baptists are big targets for ridicule because of their social conservatism and Southern accents. And don’t forget the kind of ridicule Mormons and Jehovah’s Witnesses get, even though they aren’t mainstream Christians.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top