F
fineca
Guest
Please help with this problem. How are we to understand passages like 1. John 3:9,
“No one born of God commits sin; for God’s nature abides in him, and he cannot sin because he is born of God.”
Both Catholic teaching and reality seem to teach the opposite, don’t you think? Even if we try to explain the above as a reference to mortal sin and pertinacy in it and not everyday sins, we still fail, because there are many Catholics who live in such sin and couldn’t care less, and yet we believe they have been born of God in baptism.
Another hard passage is Romans 14:23:
“whatever does not proceed from faith is sin”
I think the Church has officially condemned the Jansenist proposition that whatever doesn’t proceed from Christian faith and charity is sinful. The same against Luther and Calvin I think. Anyway it seems the Church has thus anathemized the Bible!
Then there is the question of concupiscence. Luther taught it was sin, the Church said it wasn’t. Luther taught we are still sinners even after justification, and are saved because we are in Christ, covered by him. The Catholic view holds that sin is washed away and the man truly changed and the inclination to sin that remains isn’t sinful. But see what St.Paul says - he clearly calls the concupiscence sin in Romans 7:17,20:
“So then it is no longer I that do it, but sin which dwells within me.”
“Now if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I that do it, but sin which dwells within me.”
He goes on to say:
“I see in my members another law at war with the law of my mind and making me captive to the law of sin which dwells in my members…Who will deliver me from this body of death? Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I of myself serve the law of God with my mind, but with my flesh I serve the law of sin. There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.” (7:23-8:1)
Isn’t this a clear indication of a person committing sins in the flesh but not dealing with it saying “oh, it’s good I can go to confession and be cleansed” but with a “praise God because there is no condemnation at all”. Somehow sounds a lot more Protestant than Catholic doesn’t it? “For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate…I can will what is right, but I cannot do it” (Rom. 7:15,18) Again seems to be opposite to the CC’s teaching - surely we can do what is right, right?
Thank you very much for your help! If you can recommend an article about the Catholic understanding of sin from a biblical point of view that’d be great. Is there a Catholic Bible commentary available online?
Thanks!
E
“No one born of God commits sin; for God’s nature abides in him, and he cannot sin because he is born of God.”
Both Catholic teaching and reality seem to teach the opposite, don’t you think? Even if we try to explain the above as a reference to mortal sin and pertinacy in it and not everyday sins, we still fail, because there are many Catholics who live in such sin and couldn’t care less, and yet we believe they have been born of God in baptism.
Another hard passage is Romans 14:23:
“whatever does not proceed from faith is sin”
I think the Church has officially condemned the Jansenist proposition that whatever doesn’t proceed from Christian faith and charity is sinful. The same against Luther and Calvin I think. Anyway it seems the Church has thus anathemized the Bible!
Then there is the question of concupiscence. Luther taught it was sin, the Church said it wasn’t. Luther taught we are still sinners even after justification, and are saved because we are in Christ, covered by him. The Catholic view holds that sin is washed away and the man truly changed and the inclination to sin that remains isn’t sinful. But see what St.Paul says - he clearly calls the concupiscence sin in Romans 7:17,20:
“So then it is no longer I that do it, but sin which dwells within me.”
“Now if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I that do it, but sin which dwells within me.”
He goes on to say:
“I see in my members another law at war with the law of my mind and making me captive to the law of sin which dwells in my members…Who will deliver me from this body of death? Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I of myself serve the law of God with my mind, but with my flesh I serve the law of sin. There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.” (7:23-8:1)
Isn’t this a clear indication of a person committing sins in the flesh but not dealing with it saying “oh, it’s good I can go to confession and be cleansed” but with a “praise God because there is no condemnation at all”. Somehow sounds a lot more Protestant than Catholic doesn’t it? “For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate…I can will what is right, but I cannot do it” (Rom. 7:15,18) Again seems to be opposite to the CC’s teaching - surely we can do what is right, right?
Thank you very much for your help! If you can recommend an article about the Catholic understanding of sin from a biblical point of view that’d be great. Is there a Catholic Bible commentary available online?
Thanks!
E