AmbroseSJ:
There are explanations, even though you won’t find “official” ones. You are looking for something that doesn’t exist, and that has already been pointed out to you by others.
Are there any “preferred” explanations? For example, I keep hearing that Judith was not meant to be taken historically (even though it mentions specific historical figures, places and times, and many of these also contradict what we both agree are Scriptures), but is more “like” a parable (even though no other parable I know of in Scripture ever uses historical figures, places and times), but I haven’t heard any explanation of the parable (I will admit, this could be my fault, so I would welcome any such explanation).
The Church has many documents stating her position on the Scriptures. Why don’t you consult them if you are truly seeking after the truth.
I have actually done as davidv suggested, and read Dei Verbum, but I am left with more questions than answers. For example, in Chapter 3 (Sacred Scripture, its Inspiration and Divine Interpretation), it says, “In composing the sacred books, God chose men and while employed by Him (2) they made use of their powers and abilities, so that with Him acting in them and through them, (3) they, as true authors, consigned to writing everything and only those things which He wanted. (4)” I agree with this, but I do not understand why God would contradict His own written word (much less history). It goes on to say “Therefore, since everything asserted by the inspired authors or sacred writers must be held to be asserted by the Holy Spirit, it follows that the books of Scripture must be acknowledged as teaching solidly, faithfully and without error that truth which God wanted put into sacred writings (5) for the sake of salvation.” Again, I agree with this, but what has the Catholic Church actually taught about the book of Judith (other than “it’s Scripture”)? Let’s forget about an “official” explanation (since there is none), what has the Catholic Church ever taught about Judith? If this is necessary for our salvation, I would hope that a Church that truly follows after God’s truth would tell people about it (unless they know it’s not true, or just aren’t concerned about salvation, and I don’t believe the Catholic Church would admit to either possibility).
Here’s a really confusing part (from Dei Verbum emphasis mine) - “12. However, since God speaks in Sacred Scripture through men in human fashion, (6)
the interpreter of Sacred Scripture, in order to see clearly what God wanted to communicate to us, should carefully investigate what meaning the sacred writers really intended, and what God wanted to manifest by means of their words.” If you go back a bit, you’ll find this - “But
the task of authentically interpreting the word of God, whether written or handed on, (8)
has been entrusted exclusively to the living teaching office of the Church, (9) whose authority is exercised in the name of Jesus Christ.” That sounds to me like ONLY the Church can rightly interpret the Scripture, and yet, this same Church has not given an explanation for the contradictions found in Judith. (As far as I know, and I would welcome any correction on this, the only Scriptures the Church has “infallibly” defined and interpreted are the ones it uses to promote it’s own authority.) I think what I find most disturbing is that so many Roman Catholics don’t find this a bit odd. I could go on, but I think I should stop here.