Does Heaven have Free Will?

• Thread starter Thread starter Dolphin
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
Wesrock:
It’s is always a good that is really the object of the will.
So then what is the ‘good’ that is the object of murder? It feels good to release rage?
Actually, I did just edit my post to comment on that more. But yes, they do it because of the fulfillment of some animal or intellectual appetite. A good in itself, but it’s being accomplished through very disordered ways.

40.png
Wesrock:
It’s is always a good that is really the object of the will.
So then what is the ‘good’ that is the object of murder? It feels good to release rage? I see you mention this below, but it seems odd to me how that could be considered good in any way. Basically it seems to suggest any feeling we have is a good one, even if we reach that feeling in wrong ways.

But how is anger good? It’s the sin of wrath
Anger is an emotion, neither good nor bad. In fact anger at an injustice is righteous and good. Anger out of envy is bad. Anger has its place.

So in theory, someone could sin in Heaven (Lucifer) but people chose not to? What if a canonized saint rejects God just like Lucifer did? Both have the fullness of God.

In your finest moments with your spouse, you experience a unity that is effortless and fulfilling. Attempts to manipulate or hurt the other fade away, and you simply experience the joy of loving. That is true freedom.

In fact anger at an injustice is righteous and good.
I can be mad (and rightfully so) about all the abortions happening. But it doesn’t give me excuse to go shoot people at an abortion clinic. Therefore, it seems my anger led me to sin and so, how does a good lead to evil? Seems then that the anger was misplaced and not actually righteous because if one was angry about innocent lives being killed, then they wouldn’t go kill more innocent lives.

So in theory, someone could sin in Heaven (Lucifer) but people chose not to? What if a canonized saint rejects God just like Lucifer did? Both have the fullness of God.
In theory? There is no theoretical in heaven. Freedom becomes completely real, freedom is personified in Christ. Your freedom consists of eternal unity with the love of Christ. You desire nothing else.

Church teaching on the subject is that the angels had not been given the fulfillment of their highest good (the beatific vision) prior to their choice. So Satan never had that perfect good. He could have, though. Heaven as a term can refer to multiple things, for example in a broad sense meaning the created things that are immaterial/invisible as St. Augustine of Hippo puts it (all the angels). When Christians speak of going to Heaven, it’s kind of an indirect way of speaking about a person who has been given the beatific vision and is now with God in that intimate way. The angels, prior to their initial choice, did not have that.

Last edited:
What stops someone from having the unitary and loving and bonding act between two spouses but one spouse is envisioning someone else in their mind? The other spouse will never know this and therefore it all appears unitary and bonding and loving.

But in actuality, there is manipulation going on.

Then why did Lucifer fall? Didn’t he have ”freedom consists of eternal unity with the love of Christ.”

Last edited:
What stops someone from having the unitary and loving and bonding act between two spouses but one spouse is envisioning someone else in their mind? The other spouse will never know this and therefore it all appears unitary and bonding and loving.

Your fundamental assumption seems to be that freedom necessitates bad things happening.

Then why did Lucifer fall?
While we have stories like Paradise Lost and The Inferno, we don’t really have a lot of mythology or details on the subject. Satan and certain other angels rejected God as their highest end and put their own pursuits first, acting contrary to their natures.

The angels, prior to their initial choice, did not have that.
Isn’t it unfair then that the devil is eternally damned when not having the beatific vision first to see what he was doing?

But - I don’t remember which Saint, but I read (or something like this) God told a saint that if He offered the devil full mercy and welcomed him back into Heaven, the devil would still reject God and remain in hell because of his pride?

Last edited:
40.png
Dolphin:

Your fundamental assumption seems to be that freedom necessitates bad things happening.
This is a really important point. When Christians speak of slavery to sin and liberation from sin, we’re quite serious. Sin is in some sense to our freedom to choose the good. Shackles that bind and weight us down and deter us from the good. And they indicate defects in the person’s choices.

If God gave us two options:
  1. Love God
  2. Don’t love God
Doesn’t #2 by definition lead to evil/sinful acts? Therefore evil/bad things happen by basis of what free will is.

A choice can’t be between 1 option.

Do you think they regret their choice? Why can’t a saint in Heaven do the same thing? Both experienced God, so can’t the saint go against their nature too?

Last edited:
40.png
Wesrock:
The angels, prior to their initial choice, did not have that.
Isn’t it unfair then that the devil is eternally damned when not having the beatific vision first to see what he was doing?
Satan had sufficient knowledge to be held accountable for his choice, that he was an agent acting deliberately with knowledge, even if he personally hadn’t the experience of the beatific vision.
But - I don’t remember which Saint, but I read (or something like this) God told a saint that if He offered the devil full mercy and welcomed him back into Heaven, the devil would still reject God and remain in hell because of his pride?
Yes… but I think delving into what an angel is, how they are intellectual but not rational, how their knowledge is infused and not observed, creates a lot of nuances which may not be necessary to the topic’s question. And it’d probably take some effort!

If God gave us two options:
  1. Love God
  2. Don’t love God
Doesn’t #2 by definition lead to evil/sinful acts? Therefore evil/bad things happen by basis of what free will is.

A choice can’t be between 1 option.
There’s not just one option, but a will that is always ordered to seeking the good and which has perfectly obtained it isn’t going to by some process choose instead something which is perfectly known by that agent to be lesser and incomplete.

In this world when people choose different things they in some way find the opposite choice to be better. But that’s because worldly goods are finite, imperfect, not perfectly satisfying, and they allow their animal appetites to trump their intellectual ones.

Last edited:
Satan had sufficient knowledge to be held accountable for his choice, that he was an agent acting deliberately with knowledge, even if he personally hadn’t the experience of the beatific vision.
How is this different than us (especially as Christians and Catholics) knowing that murder is wrong but choosing it anyway. We still can be forgiven if we ask for it. Why do we get the chance for forgiveness if we had the knowledge to know it was wrong in the first place. But the devil does not get this chance for forgiveness?

I’m not advocating for the devil by any means, just doesn’t seem consistent or I clearly don’t understand

Adam and Eve chose to eat the fruit because they found this to be a better good for them (to have full knowledge) but why did they think this? Because of temptation. Does temptation not exist in Heaven? And if not, why did it exist in the Garden?

Correct me if I’m wrong, wasn’t the Garden of Eden suppose to be Heaven but Adam and Eve sinning ruined that?

Last edited:
40.png
Wesrock:
How is this different than us (especially as Christians and Catholics) knowing that murder is wrong but choosing it anyway. We still can be forgiven if we ask for it. Why do we get the chance for forgiveness if we had the knowledge to know it was wrong in the first place. But the devil does not get this chance for forgiveness?

I’m not advocating for the devil by any means, just doesn’t seem consistent or I clearly don’t understand
That’s a topic I was alluding to when I wrote, “but I think delving into what an angel is, how they are intellectual but not rational, how their knowledge is infused and not observed, creates a lot of nuances which may not be necessary to the topic’s question. And it’d probably take some effort!”

And it will take some time and effort, and it’s not something I’m able to really speak to right now, other than to say that an angel is not just a disembodied human mind. It’s very different than a human mind. Intellectual, but not rational. No discursive reasoning. And that has implications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back