Does interest in sex reduce spirituality?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Robert_Sock
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Robert_Sock

Guest
Sex is really a primitive desire that can interfere with spirituality.

Our society is loaded with messages that sex is great. This draws an huge amount of attention toward feeding the libido with inner images and thoughts of sex.

I contend that sex is not that great and that interest in sex drastically reduces the attention available for prayerful thoughts and inner images.

“If you don’t stop it you’ll go blind” is very realistic in a spiritual sense.

Learning to eliminate the desire for sex at an early age is most beneficial for both spiritual and religious success. Similarly, anything that occupies human attention, like television and computers, is the cause of spiritual death.
 
Sex is really a primitive desire that can interfere with spirituality.

Our society is loaded with messages that sex is great. This draws an huge amount of attention toward feeding the libido with inner images and thoughts of sex.

I contend that sex is not that great and that interest in sex drastically reduces the attention available for prayerful thoughts and inner images.

“If you don’t stop it you’ll go blind” is very realistic in a spiritual sense.

Learning to eliminate the desire for sex at an early age is most beneficial for both spiritual and religious success. Similarly, anything that occupies human attention, like television and computers, is the cause of spiritual death.
Sex outside of marriage, of course, isn’t beneficial to the spiritual life and it’s certainly distracting. But sex is supposed to be a physical expression of love in marital life…
 
Learning to eliminate the desire for sex at an early age is most beneficial for both spiritual and religious success.
I think you’re right; I’ve been quite successful in doing this and results are indeed greater spiritual/religious focus. On the other hand, my success may result in me being single my whole life, but I think that is inconsequential in the grand scheme of things. 👍 🙂

-Byrnwiga
 
Learning to eliminate the desire for sex at an early age is most beneficial for both spiritual and religious success. .
eliminating something that is God given is never beneficial,and teaching that it is always heretical.
 
Sex is really a primitive desire that can interfere with spirituality.

Our society is loaded with messages that sex is great. This draws an huge amount of attention toward feeding the libido with inner images and thoughts of sex.

I contend that sex is not that great and that interest in sex drastically reduces the attention available for prayerful thoughts and inner images.

“If you don’t stop it you’ll go blind” is very realistic in a spiritual sense.

Learning to eliminate the desire for sex at an early age is most beneficial for both spiritual and religious success. Similarly, anything that occupies human attention, like television and computers, is the cause of spiritual death.
100% disagree. Sex is the physical expression of the sacrament of marriage and as such should be expressed as often as physically and responsibly possible. Sex is that great. So great that as Blessed JPII says, it is the most efficacious sign of Trinitarian love.

You are preaching the heresy manacheism.
 
Sex is really a primitive desire that can interfere with spirituality.

Our society is loaded with messages that sex is great. This draws an huge amount of attention toward feeding the libido with inner images and thoughts of sex.

I contend that sex is not that great and that interest in sex drastically reduces the attention available for prayerful thoughts and inner images.

“If you don’t stop it you’ll go blind” is very realistic in a spiritual sense.

Learning to eliminate the desire for sex at an early age is most beneficial for both spiritual and religious success. Similarly, anything that occupies human attention, like television and computers, is the cause of spiritual death.
Robert, this is heretical thinking in both Catholicism and Judaism.
 
Just to be clear, I’m talking about sex when expressed within the sacrament of marriage: free, total, faithful and fruitful.
 
Sex outside of marriage, of course, isn’t beneficial to the spiritual life and it’s certainly distracting. But sex is supposed to be a physical expression of love in marital life…
👍
 
Earthquakes are also God given, but they are not very beneficial.
I’d be careful about going down this line of thought. Everything that God does is good. But because of sin, suffering has entered the world.
 
Robert, this is heretical thinking in both Catholicism and Judaism.
It may be heretical thinking in Judaism, but not in the Catholic Church where sexual abstinence is demanded of clergy, and often encouraged with lay people. In the New Testament there is a passage that actually states that a person is better off if he/she abstains from sex.

“But I say to the unmarried, and to the widows: It is good for them if they so continue, even as I.”
-1 Corinthians 7:8
 
and you believe that clergy have no sexual desire ?:eek:
Of course not, but you’re taking my comment out of context. I contend that the clergy control or eliminate their sexual urges, thus increasing the amount of focused attention one can apply to holy matters.
 
Of course not, but you’re taking my comment out of context. I contend that the clergy control or eliminate their sexual urges, thus increasing the amount of focused attention one can apply to holy matters.
I will agree with you then. Interest in sex when you’re not married to your partner would put a damper on one’s spiritual life. Then again, sex isn’t meant to be used out of marriage.
 
Sex is really a primitive desire that can interfere with spirituality.

Our society is loaded with messages that sex is great. This draws an huge amount of attention toward feeding the libido with inner images and thoughts of sex.

I contend that sex is not that great and that interest in sex drastically reduces the attention available for prayerful thoughts and inner images.

“If you don’t stop it you’ll go blind” is very realistic in a spiritual sense.

Learning to eliminate the desire for sex at an early age is most beneficial for both spiritual and religious success. Similarly, anything that occupies human attention, like television and computers, is the cause of spiritual death.
Hey Robert. I believe that an unhealthy interest in sex (even inside the confines of marriage in certain situations) can reduce spirituality; outside the confines of marriage it has the potential to slowly and insidiously kill the grace of God from within. As most catholics agree, the sacrament of confession and the Mass, and of course incessant prayer are the ultimate remedies, e.g. the Rosary or the chaplet of divine mercy. Jesus had this to say to Saint Faustina, regarding sins of impurity.

“I saw the Lord Jesus tied to a pillar, stripped of His clothes, and the scourging began immediately. I saw four men who took turns at striking the Lord with scourges. My heart almost stopped at the sight of these tortures” (445).

“I saw how the Lord Jesus suffered as He was being scourged. Oh, such an inconceivable agony! … His blood flowed to the ground, and in some places His flesh started to fall off. I saw a few bare bones on His back. The meek Jesus moaned softly and sighed” (188).

The Lord said to me, “I suffer even greater pain than that which you see.” And Jesus gave me to know for what sins He subjected himself to the scourging**: these are sins of impurity.** Oh, how dreadful was Jesus’ moral suffering during the scourging (445)!

Remedy, from Jesus to Saint Mechtilde:

“In Mass I come with such humility that there is no sinner, no matter how depraved he be, that I am no ready to receive, if only he desires it. I come with such sweetness and mercy that I will pardon My greatest enemies, if they ask for pardon. I come with such generosity that there is no one so poor that I will not fill him with the riches of My love. I come such heavenly food as will strengthen the weakest, with such light as will illumine the blindest, with such a plenitude of graces as will remove all miseries, overcome all obstinacy and dissipate all fears.” – Jesus to St. Mechtilde
 
Remedy, from Jesus to Saint Mechtilde:

“In Mass I come with such humility that there is no sinner, no matter how depraved he be, that I am no ready to receive, if only he desires it. I come with such sweetness and mercy that I will pardon My greatest enemies, if they ask for pardon. I come with such generosity that there is no one so poor that I will not fill him with the riches of My love. I come such heavenly food as will strengthen the weakest, with such light as will illumine the blindest, with such a plenitude of graces as will remove all miseries, overcome all obstinacy and dissipate all fears.” – Jesus to St. Mechtilde
Thanks for this one I love it!
 
*Sex is only proper to marriage, so a preoccupation of it outside marriage would not “increase”, or rather benerfit, spirituality. However, within Marriage, conjugal union is part of that which should deepen the spiritual life of couples. *

From the Catechism of the Catholic Church: III. The Love of Husband and Wife

2360
Sexuality is ordered to the conjugal love of man and woman. In marriage the physical intimacy of the spouses becomes a sign and pledge of spiritual communion. Marriage bonds between baptized persons are sanctified by the sacrament.
2361 "Sexuality, by means of which man and woman give themselves to one another through the acts which are proper and exclusive to spouses, is not something simply biological, but concerns the innermost being of the human person as such. It is realized in a truly human way only if it is an integral part of the love by which a man and woman commit themselves totally to one another until death."143…
2362 "The acts in marriage by which the intimate and chaste union of the spouses takes place are noble and honorable; the truly human performance of these acts fosters the self-giving they signify and enriches the spouses in joy and gratitude."145 Sexuality is a source of joy and pleasure:
The Creator himself . . . established that in the [generative] function, spouses should experience pleasure and enjoyment of body and spirit. Therefore, the spouses do nothing evil in seeking this pleasure and enjoyment. They accept what the Creator has intended for them. At the same time, spouses should know how to keep themselves within the limits of just moderation.146
2363 The spouses’ union achieves the twofold end of marriage: the good of the spouses themselves and the transmission of life. These two meanings or values of marriage cannot be separated without altering the couple’s spiritual life and compromising the goods of marriage and the future of the family.
vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p3s2c2a6.htm

From** HUMANAE VITAE Pope Paul VI **
11. The sexual activity, in which husband and wife are intimately and chastely united with one another, through which human life is transmitted, is, as the recent Council recalled, “noble and worthy.”
From ARCANUM Encyclical of Pope Leo XIII On Christian Marriage.
papalencyclicals.net/Leo13/l13cmr.htm
9. … Christ our Lord raised marriage to the dignity of a sacrament; that to husband and wife, guarded and strengthened by the heavenly grace which His merits Rained for them, He gave power to attain holiness in the married state; and that, in a wondrous way, making marriage an example of the mystical union between Himself and His Church, He not only perfected that love which is according to nature,[10] but also made the naturally indivisible union of one man with one woman far more perfect through the bond of heavenly love.
26. If, then, we consider the end of the divine institution of marriage, we shall see very clearly that God intended it to be a most fruitful source of individual benefit and of public welfare. Not only, in strict truth, was marriage instituted for the propagation of the human race, but also that the lives of husbands and wives might be made better and happier. This comes about in many ways: by their lightening each other’s burdens through mutual help; by constant and faithful love; by having all their possessions in common; and by the heavenly grace which flows from the sacrament."

While sexuality can help deepen the loving unity of married couples, it has the reverse effect when misused, as outside the Sacrament. The Catechism link regarding marriage also deals with those errors, while also stating, in the understanding that sexuality isn’t just about physical relations and carnal desires, but includes of the nature of the individuals:" 2332 Sexuality affects all aspects of the human person in the unity of his body and soul. It especially concerns affectivity, the capacity to love and to procreate, and in a more general way the aptitude for forming bonds of communion with others."
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top