H
holyrood
Guest
I believe it doesn’t. I believe the Church teaches that there’s a proper time and place for sex, and that it teaches this in wisdom, because God knows that, like fire, it can be very harmful outside of its proper time and place.
I have a friend who takes the view that the Church says sex is ‘bad.’ His reasoning is that the Church calls it sin outside of marriage, and sin is bad.
I can’t really argue with his reasoning, but I feel that the intention and reasons behind calling it sinful are an important nuance, since it’s about telling us what’s good and beneficial for us, not, as many currently believe, that the Church just wants ‘control’ over our sex lives. (That baffles me–people really think bishops and cardinals have nothing more on their minds than ‘controlling’ people? For what purpose? What in the world would they, personally be getting out of ‘controlling’ people, especially their sex lives? But I suppose that’s bordering on a rant and another thread.)
For background information, this friend is a fallen-away Catholic, who greatly admires his relatives who were devout nuns and priests, and has many fond memories of his great-aunt at prayer. He admires my faith greatly and doesn’t try to sway me or convince me to change my ways. But he himself, has lived very differently. And he feels that it’s been good and beneficial, that it’s been a way of becoming close to people. He feels all the sex has been a positive good in his life.
Do others–those who really know theology and what the Church teaches very well–see the Church as saying sex outside marriage is ‘bad’ or ‘sinful’ or both? Is it the same thing or is there a fine difference, due to the reasoning behind it?
I have a friend who takes the view that the Church says sex is ‘bad.’ His reasoning is that the Church calls it sin outside of marriage, and sin is bad.
I can’t really argue with his reasoning, but I feel that the intention and reasons behind calling it sinful are an important nuance, since it’s about telling us what’s good and beneficial for us, not, as many currently believe, that the Church just wants ‘control’ over our sex lives. (That baffles me–people really think bishops and cardinals have nothing more on their minds than ‘controlling’ people? For what purpose? What in the world would they, personally be getting out of ‘controlling’ people, especially their sex lives? But I suppose that’s bordering on a rant and another thread.)
For background information, this friend is a fallen-away Catholic, who greatly admires his relatives who were devout nuns and priests, and has many fond memories of his great-aunt at prayer. He admires my faith greatly and doesn’t try to sway me or convince me to change my ways. But he himself, has lived very differently. And he feels that it’s been good and beneficial, that it’s been a way of becoming close to people. He feels all the sex has been a positive good in his life.
Do others–those who really know theology and what the Church teaches very well–see the Church as saying sex outside marriage is ‘bad’ or ‘sinful’ or both? Is it the same thing or is there a fine difference, due to the reasoning behind it?