A
Air_Force_1
Guest
Why does there appear to be such a difference between the English language used in these two translations? After all, they were translated only two years apart?
The most common Douay-Rheims version today, the Challoner, was published a century after the original date of publication. The original D-R had a highly latinate vocabulary, so was simplified by Bishop Challoner. Another reason is that the D-R is based nearly word-for-word on St. Jerome’s Latin Vulgate (Clementine version).Why does there appear to be such a difference between the English language used in these two translations? After all, they were translated only two years apart?
Very good topic! Recently, I purchased a Douay-Rheims Bible and I echo your sentiments.The most common Douay-Rheims version today, the Challoner, was published a century after the original date of publication. The original D-R had a highly latinate vocabulary, so was simplified by Bishop Challoner. Another reason is that the D-R is based nearly word-for-word on St. Jerome’s Latin Vulgate (Clementine version).
On a personal note: I was raised on the KJV, and so am familiar with it, but the D-R I find gorgeous.
I can’t correct you on that one, Air Force 1, but I can certainly agree with where you are coming from. Further, I am somewhat turned off by the gender-neutral Bibles. When I compare chapter and verse of the latter with the Douay-Rheims it’s as if the “new” version is a weak and watery edition of the full-bodied wine of Douay-Rheims!I too find it very beautiful and different in a good way. It’s almost like the King James was the everyday english translation and the Douay Rehiems was the “proper” english translation. Please correct me if I am wrong.
I did a cursory search of the US Conference of Catholic Bishops and found only the following list (of which the KJAV is NOT listed as approved).It no longer is necessary to be so worried about a fondness for the Authorised “King James” Version (A.V.) of the Bible. The American bishops have given it approval for use by Catholics (all the more so, one would presume, when the A.V.'s Old Testament “Apocrypha” is included in the edition). …
Pax, Jerry Parker
Hi SJackson,Does anyone know where one can buy the Douay–Rheims in large print?
Thank you.![]()
The DR retains it’s orginal English while th KJ has seen many revisions and updates.=Air Force 1;6981577]Why does there appear to be such a difference between the English language used in these two translations? After all, they were translated only two years apart?
Well actually, the New Testament was published in 1582 during a temporary migration of the English College (originally based at Douai) to Rheims. The Douai Old Testament was only published in 1609-10, and the 28-year publishing delay was actually because of lack of funds.Why does there appear to be such a difference between the English language used in these two translations? After all, they were translated only two years apart?
Actually, Bishop Challoner’s work steps on the fine line between ‘revision’ and ‘a new translation of its own’. Challoner’s revisions borrowed heavily from the King James Version (himself being a convert from Protestantism, and thus familiar with its style) whose translators had themselves borrowed from the original Rheims NT of 1582. Challoner not only addressed the odd prose and much of the Latinisms, but produced a version which, while still called the Douai-Rheims, was little like the original. At the same time he aimed for improved readability and comprehensibility, rephrasing obscure and obsolete terms and construction; and in the process, consistently removing ambiguities of meaning that the original Rheims-Douai version had striven to retain.The most common Douay-Rheims version today, the Challoner, was published a century after the original date of publication. The original D-R had a highly latinate vocabulary, so was simplified by Bishop Challoner. Another reason is that the D-R is based nearly word-for-word on St. Jerome’s Latin Vulgate (Clementine version).