Dr.John MacArthur Attacks the Church

  • Thread starter Thread starter JamesG
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering if anyone could help me refute this video. A relative of mine has posted a link to this video on her facebook page. I’d like to formulate a response to this person via a long email.

youtube.com/watch?v=Db-i73Znh2M

Here are some of the claims.
  1. Forced Celibacy lead to sexual deviation.
  2. Under the Cardinals residence is one of the largest gay bars in Rome.
  3. Pope Benedict XVI resigned because it was the only way to clean out the Vatican corruption.
  4. Catholic’s exalt Mary over Christ and god.
  5. They re-sacrifice Christ at the mass.
  6. False forgiveness of the confessional.
  7. Infant Baptism is useless.
  8. People give money to the church to buy their dead relatives out of purgatory.
  9. You can buy your own way out of purgatory.
  10. They worship idols.
  11. Prayers for the dead are wrong.
  12. The pope is a usurper of Christ over his church.
  13. The papacy is the Anti-Christ.
  14. The pope can’t ever make a mistake (infallibility).
  15. Pope John Paul II is not in heaven (faith alone doctrine).
  16. Quotes the Council of Trent (6 session chapter 16) Cannon 9, 11, 12, etc.
  17. The roman system is a replica of the Pharisees.
  18. Paul acted without Peter’s (the pope) authority.
  19. There is no link between Peter and every pope.
  20. Large chunks of time when there was not a pope (4 century, 7th century, 11th century, 15th century)
  21. The history of the church is a mess and that invalidates it.
  22. The catholic church is a gigantic system of church worship, sacrament worship, saint worship, Mary worship, image worship, relic worship, priest worship, pope worship. (quotes J. C. Ryle)
  23. The pope wears a jeweled crown worth millions. The cardinals garb is worth tens of thousands of dollars. etc… It’s a pompous display of wealth that covers a sinful system that seduces and it’s Satanic.
These comments do not just resemble a theological disagreement. They are venomous and hate filled. I would hope and pray that no Catholic clergy, theologian or apologist would ever speak to anyone in this manner. There is nothing Christ like about his remarks.

Having said that, I wonder where this man is coming from and what could possibly be his motivation. Sometimes, I wonder if people like that wonder (or even care) if what they spout is truth???
 
Well… I sent out a response based on many of the responses here. I even included a few points I found in the book “A biblical defense of Catholicism”

In addition, I wrote the following in response to another accusation she made about the Church being the “Whore of Babylon”
…
I’m quite aware that Protestants attempting to find converts generally prey upon Catholics who implicitly trust the church. Many Catholics trust in the church just as the bible directs us. In fact, the bible instructs us to “stand firm and hold to the traditions which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter” (2 Thess. 2:15). Paul praised those who followed Tradition: “I commend you because you remember me in everything and maintain the traditions even as I have delivered them to you” (1 Cor. 11:2).
Please understand that Catholics consider the church to be the “Bride of Christ”. Jesus established only one Church, not a collection of competing churches (Lutheran, Baptist, Anglican, and so on). The Bible says the Church is the bride of Christ (Eph. 5:23-32). Obviously, Jesus cannot have multiple brides. For that reason, referring to the church as a “Whore” is a despicable and very non-Christian act which is highly offensive and sinful. I take offensive to it in the same way that I would if someone called my mother a whore. It’s based on a false interpretation of Revelation designed to attack the Catholic church.
Anyway, that was the first salvo and I have yet to revive a response.

At this point, I honestly get the impression that she thinks such slanderous statements by MacArthur are true. And yet, she is a former Catholic… No doubt she implicitly trusted the church and never even bothered to read up on actual catholic teaching.

Thank all for your help on this issue.

btw, I’m currently working on another email to refute another video she posted. This one is using the Syllabus of Errors and even tries to implicate the church with the St.Bartholomew Day Massacre. It’s a long trip down an alternate reality that’s full of erroneous historical facts and attempts at slander.
 
I am afraid many of these exchanges are a waste of time or even counterproductive. I quoted this recently in another thread,

The sole way to overcome an adversary of divine truth is from the authority of Scripture—an authority divinely confirmed by miracles. For that which is above the human reason we believe only because God has revealed it.

Nevertheless, there are certain likely arguments that should be brought forth in order to make divine truth known. This should be done for the training and consolation of the faithful, and not with any idea of refuting those who are adversaries. For the very inadequacy of the arguments would rather strengthen them in their error, since they would imagine that our acceptance of the truth of faith was based on such weak arguments.(Summa Contra Gentiles I.9)

I think that can be a very real danger, that by indulging them beyond what we should, we end up confirming them in their error. If a person does not display any good will or openness to correction, then it is best to leave them alone. I am inclined to believe that when people say something like, “Catholic’s exalt Mary over Christ and god,” (as if they had any way to prove that).
 
I was wondering if anyone could help me refute this video. A relative of mine has posted a link to this video on her facebook page. I’d like to formulate a response to this person via a long email.
Facewhat? I would simply pray for the poor, self-deluded and hate-filled false teacher, and for your relative who is grossly mislead.

Not even Jesus’ words and presence converted those in John 6.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top