Drinking in front of kids

  • Thread starter Thread starter momof3inOR
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
If your kids ask, just simply say, “Mommy drinks because you cry.” 😃

I’ve never been a big drinker, just when the mood hits, but never hid it from the kids.

My parents drank when we were growing up. They didn’t hide it, or make a big deal of it, so it wasn’t something for us to get wound up about.
 
My husband and I actually talked about this because we come from very different drinking cultures.

My parents hardly had alcohol in the house. I believe they had some really old hard stuff in the most impossible to reach cabinet for about 20 years. They really only drank on special occasions at other peoples houses. But they weren’t prudish about it either. My dad would often let us taste his drink when we were underage. Like highschool age. Also when asked about the lack of alcohol, they presented perfectly acceptable reasons, its expensive, they didn’t really care for it enough to take time out of their day and budget to drink it. They mentioned that a cold beer on a hot day was great, but otherwise not so much, etc. I could relate as I didn’t like the taste of beer at that time either. Only one sibling had a bad relationship with alcohol, but he had a rather trouble late teenage and young adulthood in general. One little sister doesn’t like it at all, the rest like and enjoy it, and I am a little ambivalent it. I like it but only so much. (A half of good beer is enough for me, or a glass of wine, I don’t really like hard drinks at all). Now that the kids are all grown, my parents actually have alcohol in the house. Dad has wine and brandy, mom has stuff for hot toddys and sometimes a grasshopper.

My husband came from a family that always had beer in the house. His mom likes margaritas, (though that might be a more recent thing) and there family vacations have some of the adults getting very drunk around the campfire. (uncles and grandpa mostly).

So our kids are young, but like when we drink soda, the kids know they can’t have everything mom and dad have. But we often didn’t have it in the house. My husbands last 6 pack lasted at least 2 weeks. We sometimes have our wedding champagne or a bottle of wine in the house, but not often because I have been pregnant a lot.😛
 
Both my parents drink wine with meals (they even make their own, too) along with other alcoholic beverages (on certain occasions - i.e. Christmas). They never hid it or made a big deal about it. That said, despite being able to legally drink for a few years now, I still haven’t had a drop myself.

-Byrnwiga
 
First of all, let me note that it is legal in the State of Oregon for a parent or legal guardian to provide alcohol to their own minor children in a private residence. Second, let me note that I was given small amounts of beer with meals as a child, but never enough that I was ever aware of a neurological effect of any kind. Third, let me note that I never saw my parents drunk, and according to their contemporaries, they never abused alcohol, even when they were young. My parents had a beer and perhaps a shot of whiskey every day except during Advent and Lent, of which my father said “If you can’t give up alcohol for Advent and Lent, you have problem”. Finally, among my own friends in college, those whose parents were strict or secretive about their drinking seemed to be the students who were the most in a hurry to drink with the goal of getting drunk, both before and after they were legally of the age to do so. These things, taken together, made an impression on me.

We have always let our children taste whatever we were drinking. They have been drinking small amounts of wine in a little glass of their own since they were, I don’t know, eight years old. Keeping in mind that vanilla extract is 40% alcohol, there is an amount of alcohol that is safe. (Our kids started with probably a half a tablespoon of wine, the equivalent of about a half a teaspoon or so of vanilla extract, just a sip or two to call their own.) I’m the only one who gives it to them, though, because otherwise if the two parents fail to communicate, the kids could be served twice. Still, they know a good wine from a bad one and they know what they do and don’t like. They know that alcohol has many uses in cooking, as well, and that there are flavors that come from skillful makers of beer, wine and spirits that don’t really have an equivalent anywhere else.

They also know that the age at which someone first drinks enough alcohol to give them so much as a buzz is highly correlated to their risk of alcoholism later in life. They know that this has to do with the fact that their brain will not be through its last growth phase of childhood until they are roughly 25, but the government couldn’t keep people from drinking what they like for that long, outlawing it altogether didn’t work, and so the law does the best it can. They know that some parents do not let their kids drink at all, and that there are good reasons for making that choice, even if we are taking a different course.

They know that nice people who are otherwise smart and responsible can become addicted, that addiction can lead otherwise decent people to lie to themselves and others, to hurt others, and to fail in both their responsibilities and their personal goals. They know that once a person becomes an alcoholic, he or she must give up drinking alcohol altogether, no exceptions. They understand that this is why they ought not ever get drunk, and certainly why their consumption has to be strictly limited until they are very much older. They understand that if they ever do even drink too much, let alone get drunk, it is far better to admit it and get someone else to drive. They know that someone can be far too impaired to drive without being aware of it.

IOW, we don’t tell them that alcohol is a poison, in the general sense. We tell them that it appears to have some positive health effects, but only when consumed by adults and in very limited amounts and not to the extent that alcohol is at all necessary for good health…because that is the truth. They do know, however, that it is quite possible to not only ruin your character with alcohol, it is also possible to ruin your health with chronic use and to even kill yourself with a single binge. They know that someone who drinks too much and then passes out is in danger of having their breathing stop or to vomit and then choke to death on that. They know this because they are young teens, and too many teens die because they never hear these gory truths from a peer, since if they or one of their peers is irresponsible with alcohol, it can be a matter of life and death whether or not someone else is responsible for them until they sober up.

Most importantly, IMHO, we let them know that alcohol is not a medicine for sadness or stress, and that in fact alcohol ought to be strictly avoided when one is having a bad day or is going through difficult times. Rather, alcohol is to be enjoyed only when it can be done legally, openly, moderately, and preferably as a small part of a greater context where people are relaxing and enjoying each other’s company. When you are feeling bad or going through hard times, it is better to get rest, exercise, spend time in nature, spend time with friends, or to find relaxation in things that don’t put addition stress on your body.

We also tell them that they are always duty-bound to make it comfortable for those who don’t want to drink anything to choose not to drink, even when they are old enough that it is legal for everyone. We tell them to avoid becoming close friends with anyone who seems to lack the ability to enjoy a social situation when there is no alcohol being served.

That’s not all we’ve told them, because this is one of those things we and they have conversations about. This is not a taboo topic, any more than death is a taboo topic. Rather, it is something that we talk about here and there, rather than having this big lecture will all these facts thrown at them.

As for our kids, they get a somewhat larger glass of wine with dinner than they did when they were smaller. They like wine, but sometimes they don’t finish it, just like sometimes they don’t finish their milk or their water or their rootbeer. In our case, this course seems to be OK. They seem to realize both the legitimate use and the dangers of overuse or abuse of alcohol, and that is our goal.
 
My kids know that alcohol is for grown-ups. They may only be four and three but they understand that some things are OK for them and others are not. Same goes with soda. They can have a sip or two, but nothing beyond that until they are “big kids.”

I see absolutely no harm in drinking and having a nice get-together with alcohol involved for the adults provided that there are no addicts around or no one abusing it at the event. Kids need to know that they just can’t do certain things.
 
I’m not much of a drinker - and I don’t particularly like beer, but i wouldn’t have a problem with drinking at dinner, if i wanted to. It’s just that since the kids were born - i know that there is a good chance that i will be awakened at night. I just decided it wouldn’t be worth it to make it any harder - and i believed alcohol would. My wife is of a similar mind - although she has had a couple margaritas over the years when friends were over.

I grew up in a family - where my parents drank - but not often. Even as kids, we were offered wine if we wanted it at special meals. I think - because my parents didn’t make a big deal about it - almost no one in my family has ever drank much. Since we could have had it, we didn’t want it!

I remember once, as a child of about 7 or 8, at my dad’s company picnic, i took a beer out of the cooler. I opened it, took one drink out of curiosity - and dumped it out. I was never tempted again.

I guess as a parent, and because there are no alcohol problems in either my wife’s nor my family, we would allow our children to taste it if they wanted to - but they are all aware that alcohol can lead to problems - and none of them seem to have any interest at all. We’ve discussed peer pressure - and that someday, they will be confronted with temptation and pressures when we are not around. We hope they make wise decisions - and that we don’t make something so exotic - so that it becomes irresistible.
 
My daughter has asked me about it. I explained that only fully grown people can safely consume alcohol. To the little bodies of children, it acts as a poison. And even too much for a grownup can kill them. This is also why mommy doesn’t drink while pregnant, because it could poison the baby.

This answer satisfied her and other than one sip of wine, because she knew wine is used in confecting the Eucharist, she has had no other questions. Kids will ask, not just to challenge, but more often to learn from parents.
Sounds like you are well rounded.
 
I never really thought of establishing guidelines about this. 🤷 Certainly, drinking in excess around children would be problematic. I guess I don’t drink often enough to really think about it that much.
Same here. My parents and relatives always drank around my brother and myself. Every so often we’d be allowed to have a “sip” of someone’s beer. I had a different idea of what a “sip” was :D. They weren’t drunks and always drank in moderation, but I don’t see how it is an issue.🤷
 
When I was growing up my parents took the approach that a healthy exposure to alcohol would lead to healthy attitudes about alcohol among us kids. We were never denied sips when we asked, and it was never demonized. We weren’t told that we’d automatically become alcoholics if we took a sip, and once we got to be in our teens, we were allowed the occasional beer, wine or light mixed drink on special occasions. My parents had the reasoning that if they didn’t set it up as a taboo, we wouldn’t be as eager as other young people to abuse it once we had the chance. It honestly didn’t do a thing to lessen our tendency to abuse it as soon as possible. I had a long stretch where a case of beer a day was about average, and if I drank that little on the weekend it was only because I was sick. I always had a bottle or two of hard liquor in my room and at least a 12-pack of beer in my car. I’d drink at home, at work, at school, and en route to each location. There were mornings I’d wake up and not remember the drive home, and a night out with my friends usually ended with the lot of us being hardly able to stand (not that that ever got in the way of driving). There were very few Saturdays and Sundays that I didn’t wake up still drunk from the night before, and quite a few weekdays where that was also the case. I could go on and on, but you get the picture. The biggest miracle out of all that is that I didn’t kill myself or someone else.

Again, this all came about after being raised by parents who fostered healthy, non-abusive attitudes toward alcohol. In spite of that, my siblings and I were all either regular drinkers or problematic binge drinkers by the age of 19, then kicked it into overdrive when we hit 21. This was just the outcome my parents had worked to avoid, and the exact same course taken by my friends and family whose parents had excessively strict, alcohol-is-the-devil attitudes toward drinking. There was a good deal of peer pressure involved, but I think the biggest factor in that was the fact that alcohol was a constant presence at every family party, celebration and gathering. While the older generation didn’t abuse it to the point that mine does, we saw it as a necessary part of family life. All our uncles and nearly all our aunts drank. It’s how they relaxed and had fun. It was how they celebrated holidays and mourned a deceased loved one. We saw our parents and older relatives have a beer or wine with their meals, drinking at home and when going out to dinner. While it usually wasn’t huge amounts, it was a constant presence. And even if they were drinking 12-18 beers at a sitting, we were always told that they were drinking in moderation. Until my one uncle nearly died, nobody ever spoke of it as something that was being abused. By that time, though, all us kids were already heavy drinkers so it didn’t have much effect.

Like I said, that background and upbringing didn’t do a thing to curb the drinking habits of me, my siblings or any of my cousins. I don’t want to give my kids the same impression we had growing up. I don’t demonize it to them, but I also don’t give them a negative example to follow. While my kids seldom saw me drink before I quit, I made sure to never let them see me drunk. I talk to them about it honestly about it now and let them see that we can go out and have a good time without any social lubricants. I also avoid the family gatherings I know are going to be all about drinking. They’re seldom enjoyable for me and they don’t set a good example for the kids. My approach may not keep my kids from abusing alcohol at some point, but at least they won’t be able to look back and say they were learning from my example.
 
It’s a salient and important point you’re making Gordon. Just because parents provide a healthy attitude towards things like alcohol and sex does not mean that children are going to end up emulating that. You do what you can and leave the rest to God.
 
Drinking responsibly in front of your kids is a good thing because it shows them the proper way to enjoy alcohol.
 
We don’t have kids, but we have a lot of nieces and nephews.

She (the wife) doesn’t drink. I mean, maybe she will have 10 drinks over the course of an entire year.

I drink on occasion, maybe about once a month. I’ll drink 3 or 4 beers at a family BBQ… that type of thing. The kids have never asked me about it, maybe they’ve asked their parents…
 
It’s a salient and important point you’re making Gordon. Just because parents provide a healthy attitude towards things like alcohol and sex does not mean that children are going to end up emulating that. You do what you can and leave the rest to God.
I’m all for providing a healthy message; I just think you also need to back it up with your actions. My Uncle Jack could spout off all he wanted about drinking responsibly and never driving drunk, but if right after he polished off the last of his 12-pack, piled the family in the car and then drove home, the actual message he was giving us was that it was perfectly acceptable to do the same. I don’t want my kids to get that message from me, or ever see me condoning those actions in others. I’d hope that would send a stronger message than me telling them over my nightly 2-3 glasses of wine or my ritual weekend hangovers that they shouldn’t drink to excess.
 
I suppose its for me wrong to ask my daughter to get me a beer out of the fridge.

<I’m kidding>
 
I’m all for providing a healthy message; I just think you also need to back it up with your actions. My Uncle Jack could spout off all he wanted about drinking responsibly and never driving drunk, but if right after he polished off the last of his 12-pack, piled the family in the car and then drove home, the actual message he was giving us was that it was perfectly acceptable to do the same. I don’t want my kids to get that message from me, or ever see me condoning those actions in others. I’d hope that would send a stronger message than me telling them over my nightly 2-3 glasses of wine or my ritual weekend hangovers that they shouldn’t drink to excess.
Well of course. Do as I say not as I do doesn’t work ever and especially not with children. But even if you provide a good environment as it pertains to things like alcohol, drugs and sex does not mean kids are going to emulate it and not fall into sin and addiction themselves. That’s the part that you have to just give to God.
 
I suppose its for me wrong to ask my daughter to get me a beer out of the fridge.

<I’m kidding>
Haha! I grew up doing that for my dad every Sunday during football season. He was probably the best example of consuming alcohol I could have seen. One or two beers while lounging in the lazy-boy and yelling at Buddy Ryan & Randall Cunningham. He never gave me any sips because beer, wine, and coffee were “grown-up” drinks. (He also trained me how to not cross in front of the TV while a play is happening.)
 
I’m all for providing a healthy message; I just think you also need to back it up with your actions. My Uncle Jack could spout off all he wanted about drinking responsibly and never driving drunk, but if right after he polished off the last of his 12-pack, piled the family in the car and then drove home, the actual message he was giving us was that it was perfectly acceptable to do the same. I don’t want my kids to get that message from me, or ever see me condoning those actions in others. I’d hope that would send a stronger message than me telling them over my nightly 2-3 glasses of wine or my ritual weekend hangovers that they shouldn’t drink to excess.
Bingo.
 
We drink alcohol in front of the kids all the time. We drink in moderation (sometimes a glass of wine or a beer in the evenings after dinner), and I actually think it’s a healthy exposure to how alcohol should be treated. We certainly aren’t abusing it, and we’re allowing them to see it’s okay in healthy moderation.
We drink in front of our kids as well, nothing wrong with that Getting drunk is wrong regardless if you are in front of kids or not anyways, so it shouldn’t be done ever. I do make sure to tell my kids that alcohol is something only adults can drink, and that if adults drink too much it can harm them, but that a little is ok for adults. I also let them know that it is not for kids, that they can get very sick if they drink alcohol, it harms their smaller bodies. I have let them know that it could kill a child, so they are aware that it can be dangerous for themselves and so they can let me know if one of their siblings is ever in danger.
 
I grew up in an Italian American household. Dad, uncles, and grandpa would make their own wine. (a bit strong)

I used to have a bit of wine (maybe a tablespoon full) mixed with ginger ale as a little girl. I used to also get a few sips of beer.😊

Now, I drink very rarely.
 
I grew up in an Italian American household. Dad, uncles, and grandpa would make their own wine. (a bit strong)

I used to have a bit of wine (maybe a tablespoon full) mixed with ginger ale as a little girl. I used to also get a few sips of beer.😊

Now, I drink very rarely.
Same with me. My parents always let us have sips of wine when we were younger, then glasses on special occasions. When I was 16 they let me have a beer as long as I stayed home.

I grew up without any desire to drink heavily. I enjoy a good beer or scotch now and then, but that’s it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top