Drinking

  • Thread starter Thread starter YESSENIA1
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
How can someone drink alcohol and be a devout catholic.
Easy - you pop off that little metal cap and take a big swig. 👍

May I recommend Blue Moon’s Belgian White? With a nice garnish of orange slipped down the neck, it’s a real treat for the end of a hot summer day.
 
I am a Catholic and can’t drink. It’s not a sin to drink but to be drunk.🙂
 
A priest once told me drinking very little is okay as long as I’m not drinking to the point of getting drunk!
 
I choose not to drink any alchohol, but I don’t think there’s anything wrong with it when people drink in moderation (that is, below the threshold of intoxication). I even heard that a glass of wine a day can be healthy… 🙂
 
How can someone drink alcohol and be a devout catholic.
Most things in moderation is okay.The problem is in excess.Drinking excessively leads to what we term “intoxicated” prompts a deliberate neglect of one’s “wits” and hands over their freewill to the devil to have his way with you.This is the problem in regards to spirituality.

JMJ
 
There aren’t many things in life better than an ice cold beer on a really hot day after you’ve been working.:coolinoff:
 
Unless you’re just a chronic binge drinker, I suspect most people can feel the effects of alcohol even after just 2 drinks or so, maybe 3 tops. Which is not to say drunk, but feeling the effects for sure.

I mean, I’m a pretty big dude and I feel it after 2-3.

So to those of you that take this matter very seriously, my question is: do you feel the effects of just 2 or 3 drinks? If so, do you ever go out to the bar/pub/‘theology on tap’ etc.? Because I’m wondering, how would that work exactly? I

I mean, you go to a bar… you sip the same beer or the same glass of wine for 2 hours? Why bother? :confused: Do you drink a single drink just for the “taste” then?? :confused:

Or are we saying that there is some kind of ethical difference between “feeling” alcohol and being “drunk”?
 
Unless you’re just a chronic binge drinker, I suspect most people can feel the effects of alcohol even after just 2 drinks or so, maybe 3 tops. Which is not to say drunk, but feeling the effects for sure.

I mean, I’m a pretty big dude and I feel it after 2-3.

So to those of you that take this matter very seriously, my question is: do you feel the effects of just 2 or 3 drinks? If so, do you ever go out to the bar/pub/‘theology on tap’ etc.? Because I’m wondering, how would that work exactly? I

I mean, you go to a bar… you sip the same beer or the same glass of wine for 2 hours? Why bother? :confused: Do you drink a single drink just for the “taste” then?? :confused:

Or are we saying that there is some kind of ethical difference between “feeling” alcohol and being “drunk”?
Yes, I do usually just drink one glass of wine/beer or one nip of spirits in a mixed drink. For the taste, as you say. Just like there are people who can happily restrict themselves to just one piece of chocolate/cake/pie and not overindulge.

And pubs and bars DO serve non-alcoholic drinks y’know 😉 So if I’m still thirsty I go for those. Who’s to know - or care for that matter - whether that orange juice or cola you’re drinking has a nip of something alcoholic in it or not? It’s not like I make a big deal out of having only one drink or not drinking on those occasions when I don’t. 🤷

Most of the people I know have similar habits. So they’re not going to look at me funny for not chugging a dozen beers or anything.
 
Just to parrot what the other posters have said thus far, I don’t think drinking in moderation could be harmful really - physically or spiritually.

I haven’t been Catholic for long and I didnt know that being drunk is considered sinful. I always assumed getting drunk frequently would be considered so since thats excessive but I also presumed once in a while would be okay. Could someone please explain why it is sinful? (Not that i’m advocating getting drunk, I just never knew that’s all)

Also apparently Padre Pio had a bottle of beer brought to his cell every night. (Correct me if i’m wrong.) I suppose he would need a drink though after all the confessions he heard daily… especially if people weren’t living good. 😃
 
Unless you’re just a chronic binge drinker, I suspect most people can feel the effects of alcohol even after just 2 drinks or so, maybe 3 tops. Which is not to say drunk, but feeling the effects for sure.

I mean, I’m a pretty big dude and I feel it after 2-3.

So to those of you that take this matter very seriously, my question is: do you feel the effects of just 2 or 3 drinks? If so, do you ever go out to the bar/pub/‘theology on tap’ etc.? Because I’m wondering, how would that work exactly? I

I mean, you go to a bar… you sip the same beer or the same glass of wine for 2 hours? Why bother? :confused: Do you drink a single drink just for the “taste” then?? :confused:

Or are we saying that there is some kind of ethical difference between “feeling” alcohol and being “drunk”?
I’m not sure that it’s sinful to get drunk. I think if you’re drinking with the intention to get totally wasted and don’t care if you’re hurting yourself and others, there’s definitely something wrong, but if you’re somewhere safe with friends and you get a little drunk, there’s probably nothing wrong with that. My opinion at least.
 
Thunderbroom I have many alcoholics in my family and thats not funny.
 
Thunderbroom I have many alcoholics in my family and thats not funny.
Yeah, umm, actually so do I - and it’s because I do that I realize that there’s only a problem with drinking if it’s done in excess. I’ve seen the worst of it, so I know not to go that far. I happen to really love beer. It’s one of the great pleasures in life when done in moderation - just like every other good thing on this earth.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top