F
Fox
Guest
Had a question about this. D&D has been around for ages (around 30 years). It seems to be popular still. As Catholics, can we or can’t we indulge in this type of roleplay? Lets get a good discussion going. 
Ed, Thank you. I completely agree with you. When I use that expression, I am opening up my statement to a form of opinion so that people may be comfortable addressing me without the worry of hostile confrontation.(Like you’re getting nowI observe you used the statement “I could be wrong.” I just want to highlight how that statement provides no real guidance. I don’t mean anything personal toward you. As Catholics, we need to be informed about our faith and understand it, sometimes through diligent searching on our part.
Just keep it as a game, a fantasy, realizing it’s only for enjoyment for those of us who admire fantasy and adventure.Had a question about this. D&D has been around for ages (around 30 years). It seems to be popular still. As Catholics, can we or can’t we indulge in this type of roleplay? Lets get a good discussion going.![]()
I’ve played it. A lot. Got involved in it back in '81. Played it regularly until about 4.5 years ago.It’s just a fun game. As long as it doesn’t take time away from God then you should be fine.
I love playing tabletop and live action role playing games, to me it’s just all impromptu acting.![]()
I agree. I merely mean that a rules framework is one of the few things (besides dice) it has in common with “Sorry!” or “Monopoly” (also called “games”, but as different from D&D and other RPGs as chalk is from cheese). THe closest I’ve seen a family boardgame come to an RPG is playing “Risk” with a competitor who decides to portray real world-conqueror and does all his moves “in character” (“What? The dastardly Kamchatkans have crossed the Eastern Marches? Summon the Irkutsk Light Horse! To war! TO WAR!!”)blink blink Ghoti, seriously…Um… I play for acting not to read the rulesAs long as I know what dice to roll when, I’m usually good. I like to ROLEplay not ROLLplay anyway. If I can’t do something then the GM just says “Um Amber, you can’t do that”… Then I’m like… “K then I do this”… lol
You have it right, there.It’s fun.
You have to be careful who you play with. The book of Sirach in the Bible talks about spending time with wise people, elders who can help you to be wiser. While many D and D players are old and wise (!), there are those who are, sadly, misanthropes who use fantasy and role-playing to escape from real life, including real spirituality (Christianity).
I hope I am being charitable in my description. I don’t mean to stereotype, as I know that there are many normal people who play D and D because they love pretending. That’s fine. But if you fall in with a group who wants to avoid real life, or who can’t separate real life from fantasy, well, that can drag you down, too.
Good point.You have it right, there.
Again, the same can be said of any secular endeavour. I know of people who are into sports (viewing, not participating) to the exclusion of all else. They can tell you how many penalties-in-minutes Big Bobby Clobber racked up in games against Philly in his rookie season, but can’t remember his kid’s birthday (or name, sometimes…)
I’ve never played a RPG, and I think that’s just creepy.We were talking in character.
Laughing, I had just said, “Remember when we blew out the back wall of that bank, and I wet my pants?”