G
That is correct, but I will be surprised if the Dutch parliament would do it. With the high number of “nee” voters, there would be a lot of unhappy citizens!Correct me if I am wrong, but the vote in the Netherlands was just advisory wasn’t it? Their parlaiment can go ahead and pass the constitution if they want to suffer the wrath of the voters.
Here’s some Q&A on what happens next…The two votes already are having a postive impact. Euro going down.
I only wish this were happening on a large scale. According to news reports - it’s mainly the left who’s opposed to the EU constitution, along with the EURO-skeptics. The left is opposed to it because they fear the EU will change the liberal economic laws currently on the books (and in France they do not like Jacques Chirac on most domestic issues and wanted to hand Chirac a huge defeat - Chirac is apart of the “conservative” Rally for the Republic Party).My analysis is this:
Pope John Paul the Great beseech the EU to include mention of its Christian roots in the EU constituion. The EU, especially France, fought against that all the way. Me thinks there is a spiritual war for the very sould of Europe–one side says toss God out, the other side says God matters.
Too bad Spain is slipping away into secular Europe. The Spanish people voted both for the EU constitution referendum and for the socialist government.I am happy for voting NO in Spain.
Don’t forget the EU parliament elections where both Chirac and Schroeder’s parties lost big time.Wow.
Austrailia reelects Howard
US reelectes Bush
UK reelects Blair
Charac rebuked in EU vote
The Dutch (the Dutch!) say “no” too??
Is Schroeder is trouble in Germany??
Analysis anyone???
I agree, in and of itself European integration is a great thing. However, enter the secularists/socialists who helped write the constitution and who are the ruling party in the Europarl. They soil the whole process and makes me wonder if Catholic European states likes Poland will be corrupted by the EU over time.Maybe someone could clarify the alleged link between greater European integraton and secularism? It’s just assumed by many posters, but I for one don’t see it as obvious.
Even if the Constitution passed, I don’t think it’d work too well for too long. It seems to be a fundamentally flawed document. Not too surprising, it’s hard to get these things right the first time around - well all remember our U.S. History and the Articles of the Confederation, right? And how many republics has France gone through since 1789?
European integration is probably a good thing for Europe (and ultimaately the world), but I think it’s still too early for it to work properly.
Also, traditional and devout Catholics are more cosmopolitan (for integration) than nationalistic (against integration) and that is the way the voting in France turned out. The devout regions of France voted for the EU constitution, and the heretical regions rejected the constitution.From my own poor analysis of the EU voting, I have come to the conclusion that the EU constitution represents a shift to a more conservative/traditional society in nations like France and the Netherlands. This may be why many faithful Catholics from Western Europe have been voting for the EU constitution. And the concept of a united Europe was a thoroughly Catholic concept, which leaders like Konrad Adenauer (a devout Catholic) embraced and advanced. The secularists are trying to hijack it and wish to use it as a tool of corporate globalization and secular humanism.