Easter baskets .. Butter lambs!

• Thread starter Thread starter PennyinCanada
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
@Margaret_Ann Yes. And every dialect has it’s names and almost every village has it’s own names because of the main family who lived there and formed it. Everything went from them so traditions, language and names too.

Last edited:
@Margaret_Ann Also “jajarica” in one part of country (“eggy” could be proper translation) because alot of eggs is added (up to 12) and that’s why it’s so yellow.
Yep, those 2 names are most known, other varieties are fammiliar just to domicile people. Sometimes difference is only in one letter. Other names like Kuglof, Uskrsnica, Blagoslovnica (blessed bread), Pogača also known.
My family calls it Pinca.

Last edited:
Love seeing these. I inherited a very old iron lamb mold from my grandparents: the thing is so heavy it could kill you but it makes the best lamb cake. I make it every year, and some years we make a black sheep lamb cake with chocolate icing. YUM. Gotta stop thinking about sweets as Lent and Passion week are still here…

Wow is right. It’s making me hungry… No cake til Pascha.

Yes. 🙂

They’re usually made of a heavier pound cake which helps them stand up. But I make a white cake lamb the day before, allow it sit out overnight, and then frost on Easter Sunday. If all goes well, it stands up.

I always wanted a lamb cake for Easter. It was not part of my mother’s family tradition so she never made one 😦 Maybe I will make one for myself some year. I did always get a white chocolate lamb in my easter basket though. I always thought it was the cutest so I would eat it last after all the other candy was gone.

If I could figure out a way to ship it and have it keep its shape, I’d send one to you. It’s a nerve-wracking but also very satisfying process.

We got chocolate Easter bunnies, chocolate eggs with buttercream and peanut butter filling, Cadbury eggs, Peeps (my sister’s favorite). When we went up to my aunt’s house (grandma lived with her), my aunt would hide plastic Easter eggs with goodies or money in them around the house and she’d give each of us a BIG solid chocolate Easter bunny. Then we’d have a traditional Ukrainian Easter dinner.

One year my aunt made white horseradish as well as horseradish with beets which is a traditional part of any Ukrainian Easter dinner. Because everything was blessed, you have to have at least a taste of everything. I never had white horseradish before and - WOW! 😱 - it was HOT 🔥! AFAIK, that’s the first & last time I ever had white horseradish at Easter/Pascha.

In Polish tradition, there is also a lamb but it is made of sugar.

@ThomasMT I googled a bit and now I see it is mostly served for Easter by Polish, Slovenian and Russian catholics.
It must be some sugar bomb in that option. 😃

Last edited:
My Italian grandma always made a round loaf of bread that had dyed, hard boiled eggs placed into the braid. I remember the first time I saw it as a child and thinking it was weird. 😊

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

Last edited:
We make a butter lamb each year. 🙂 Our kids really enjoy it. Here’s another tradition for us (there are far cuter lamb cakes out there…):

It’s an extra blessing when it stays upright until eaten!
I’ve never had a butter lamb, and I do not know who of my siblings might have my mother’s lamb cake mold (or if Mom retains it herself at 96(!))?

My bride did, however, inherit her grandmother’s Butter Chicken, which we have supplemented with our own Butter Bunny. They look very like these

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.) (Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

These are not as cute as they could be, but fun anyway… lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back