Myfavoritmartin, are you actually reading the ECFs or are you reading a Protestant website with disembodied quotes from the ECFs? This is not a Catholic site:
earlychristianwritings.com/churchfathers.html
Given the overwhelming amount of converts to the Catholic Church who have given their stories of conversion on the Coming Home Network programs and state that it was reading the ECFs that led them to the Church, I find your conclusions unusual.
www.chnetwork.org
I’m going to go through the ECFs you mentioned and their beliefs. I’ll start with the Biblical Church:
PETER IS THE ROCK ON WHICH THE CHURCH IS BUILT
“And Peter, on whom the Church of Christ is built, against which the gates of hell shall not prevail…” *
Origen, Commentary on John, 5:3 (A.D. *232).
“Peter, the foremost of the Apostles, and Chief Herald of the Church…”
Cyril of Jerusalem, Catechetical Lectures,1 1:3 (A.D. 350).
“As I follow no leader save Christ, so I communicate with none but your blessedness, that is with the chair of Peter. For this, I know, is the rock on which the church is built!” *
Jerome, To Pope Damasus, Epistle 15 (A.D. 375). *
“Number the priests even from that seat of Peter. And in that order of fathers see to whom succeeded: that is the rock which the proud gates of hades do not conquer.” *
Augustine, Psalmus contro Partem Donati (A.D. 393). *
“But you say, the Church was rounded upon Peter: although elsewhere the same is attributed to all the Apostles, and they all receive the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and the strength of the Church depends upon them all alike, yet one (Peter) among the twelve is chosen so that when a head has been appointed, there may be no occasion for schism.”*
Jerome, Against Jovinianus, 1 (A.D. 393). *
“Thou art Peter and upon this Rock I will build my Church,” Wherefore where Peter is the Church is…”
Ambrose,* Commentary on the Psalms, 40:30 (AD 395). *
“At length, after being tempted by the devil, Peter is set over the Church.”
Ambrose, Commentary on the Psalms, 43:40 (AD 397).
“Peter, that head of the Apostles, the first in the Church, the friend of Christ, who received revelation not from man but from the Father…this Peter, and when I say Peter, I mean that unbroken Rock, the unshaken foundation, the great Apostle, the first of the disciples, the first called, the first to obey.” *
John Chrysostom, De Eleemosyna, 3:4 (ante A.D. 407). *
“He promises to found the church, assigning immovableness to it, as He is the Lord of strength, and over this he sets Peter as shepherd.” *
Cyril of Alexandria, Commentary on Matthew (A.D. 428). *