N
NotWorthy
Guest
The reference to Isaiah 22 is not the restoration of a King, but of the Prime Minister. Shebna and Hilkiah were not the kings of Judah. They were Prime Ministers. And what is the role of the Prime Minister? To look after the King’s household, and also to look after his kingdom when he is away until his return. That is the role of the Pope.This may be a difference of emphasis for Lutherans. The Keys are understood in a heavenly, sacramental sense, not like that which was given to the Jews in their political establishment. I’m not aware of an Old Testament reference where the Keys of the Kingdom of Heaven are given to anyone, where they are expressly given authority to forgive and retain sins in such a way that what is bound on earth will be bound in heaven, and what is loosed on earth will be loosed in heaven. That peculiar gift is something Christ alone gives, by virtue of His work on the cross, in which He takes the sins of the world onto Himself. Even the Old Testament prophets only speak what they have been expressly given to speak.
I apologize, that I cannot perceive the references you draw in Isaiah 22-- this seems clearly to be speaking of a restoration of a righteous king after the fall of an evil king. And as for Joseph, he clearly is a type of Christ to come, but in his functioning in Egypt, he only forgives his brothers for what they have done to him… not all their sins before God.
And do you really not see the parallels?
Isaiah: I will clothe him (Hilkiah) with your robe, and gird him with your sash, and give over to him your authority. He shall be a father to the inhabitants of Jerusalem, and to the house of Judah (This is the role of the Prime Minister). I will place the key of the House of David * (the key of the kingdom)** on his shoulder***, when he opens, no one shall shut, when he shuts, no one shall open.
Matthew: *I will give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven. * Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."
But I thought you even claimed that the power to forgive was part of the powers of the key. I agree that it is implicit in Matthew, but that it is explicit in John’s Gospel.Lutherans see the Keys as explicitly defined by Christ when He gives them, and that’s how we tend to reflect upon them. This is how I read the Fathers to discuss them, too.
Grace and peace to you.