Editions of the RSV-CE

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tyuiop411
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tyuiop411

Guest
I would like to know if anyone knows of any nice editions of the RSV-CE (not the Ignatius RSV-2CE). My current one is falling apart now after quite a bit of use and the particular edition I have is no longer in print.
 
I would like to know if anyone knows of any nice editions of the RSV-CE (not the Ignatius RSV-2CE). My current one is falling apart now after quite a bit of use and the particular edition I have is no longer in print.
Check out St Benedict press LINK
 
That Bible looks great. I just wish it wasn’t so expensive. $69.95 is too much money right now. I guess I’ll just have to settle for the NAB that is online. 😦
 
You could try ebay too; lots of times you can get a like new one for pennies on the dollar! Good luck and God Bless!
 
I would like to know if anyone knows of any nice editions of the RSV-CE (not the Ignatius RSV-2CE). My current one is falling apart now after quite a bit of use and the particular edition I have is no longer in print.
Either go with the Oxford Press or go with the original blue ingatius press RSV-CE blue back instead of the RSV-CE2
 
Do you want the RSV-CE or the RSV-CE 2nd ed.?

There IS a difference . . .

The 2nd ed. removed archaic language in references to God (thee, thou, thy, art, hast, hadst, didst, etc.), revised text in light of Liturgiam Authenticam, and exchanged some texts with footnotes in passages that had significance to Catholics. For example, the “infamous” Isaiah 7:14 controversy in the “plain” RSV was resolved by replacing “young woman” with “virgin”, as Catholics (and some Protestants) point to this verse as foretelling the role of The Virgin Mary in the birth of Christ.

Also, the 2nd ed. has new typesetting, section headings, and maps.

Finally, and this may be insignificant to many, but it is a distinction nonetheless: the title page of the 2nd ed. states that the translation "was revised according to Liturgiam Authenticam, 2002". But on the Ignatius Press website, the description of this 2nd ed. states: "The RSV, second Catholic edition is the only Bible translation that uses standard (non-feminist) English and is in conformity with* the Church’s translation guidelines found in the Vatican document, *Liturgiam Authenticam *. I realize this may be a quibble about semantics, but strictly speaking, revising “according to” something is not exactly the same as revising “in conformity with” something.

I am NOT criticizing either one - I am merely pointing out differences.*
 
revised text in light of Liturgiam Authenticam
Correction – the RSV-2CE **claimed **to revise the text in light of *Liturgiam Authenticam. *

As stated here:
I also think the RSV-2CE is a tad bit deceptive when it claims to be translated in conformity with Liturgiam Authenticam. As most people who’ve read LA know, one of the recommendations from LA was that Hebrew and Aramaic words like “Amen,” “Raca,” “Maranatha,” and “Alleluia” not be translated like they are in the RSV. Given all the ridiculous changes made by Ignatius Press (e.g., “***” to “donkey,” “babe” to “baby,” etc.), surely they could have make these other changes too. Hopefully, the next printing will include these changes.
Further, the RSV-2CE editions that I have seen have typo after typo after typo. Forget the fact that it doesn’t actually have an imprimatur (it claims to be covered by the original imprimatur of the RSV-CE) – it didn’t even have a proofreader.

The RSV-2CE is a Catholic adaption of the RSV-CE, but not one that has any sort of ecclesiastical check or approval on it. If you use it, you are depending on Ignatius’ representations about it, and for the reasons I list in this post, there is a reason to take those with a grain of salt. Use it at your own risk.
 
I would like to know if anyone knows of any nice editions of the RSV-CE (not the Ignatius RSV-2CE). My current one is falling apart now after quite a bit of use and the particular edition I have is no longer in print.
They do produce a large print 1st edition, which is what I have. It’s very nice.
 
I would like to know if anyone knows of any nice editions of the RSV-CE (not the Ignatius RSV-2CE). My current one is falling apart now after quite a bit of use and the particular edition I have is no longer in print.
Ignatius publishes, in paper, hard and bonded leather, both the RSV-CE (blue cover) and RSV-CE2 reddish brown cover, evangelists imprinted on the cover. St. Benedict Press publishes the RSV-CE in several bindings, Oxford Publishing publishes a large print RSV-CE (I have one, don’t buy it! The pages are so thin you can’t turn them and there are no cross references in it) If one of those doesn’t cut the mustard, i don’t know what to say.
 
Correction – the RSV-2CE **claimed **to revise the text in light of *Liturgiam Authenticam. *

As stated here:

Further, the RSV-2CE editions that I have seen have typo after typo after typo. Forget the fact that it doesn’t actually have an imprimatur (it claims to be covered by the original imprimatur of the RSV-CE) – it didn’t even have a proofreader.

The RSV-2CE is a Catholic adaption of the RSV-CE, but not one that has any sort of ecclesiastical check or approval on it. If you use it, you are depending on Ignatius’ representations about it, and for the reasons I list in this post, there is a reason to take those with a grain of salt. Use it at your own risk.
Perhaps Fr Fessio’s comments on my blog may shed some light on this:
catholicbibles.blogspot.com/2008/11/response-from-fr-fessio-i-think.html
 
Correction – the RSV-2CE **claimed **to revise the text in light of *Liturgiam Authenticam. *

As stated here:

Further, the RSV-2CE editions that I have seen have typo after typo after typo. Forget the fact that it doesn’t actually have an imprimatur (it claims to be covered by the original imprimatur of the RSV-CE) – it didn’t even have a proofreader.

The RSV-2CE is a Catholic adaption of the RSV-CE, but not one that has any sort of ecclesiastical check or approval on it. If you use it, you are depending on Ignatius’ representations about it, and for the reasons I list in this post, there is a reason to take those with a grain of salt. Use it at your own risk.
Ignatius Press has a Lectionary for the Catholic Mass using the RSV-2CE translation (without corrections), it is approved for use by the Antilles Episcopal Conference and is currently being used there for Mass.
 
Perhaps Fr Fessio’s comments on my blog may shed some light on this:
catholicbibles.blogspot.com/2008/11/response-from-fr-fessio-i-think.html
Thanks, but I note that Father Fessio’s comments are from 2008, whereas the (quite astute) quote I took from your blog was from 2010 – and I think the later view is correct.

It could perhaps be argued that the Ignatius RSV made a partial step towards ****Liturgiam Authenticam, but as you correctly pointed out, it certainly is not in full compliance with Liturgiam Authenticam, despite Father Fessio’s comments.
 
Thanks, but I note that Father Fessio’s comments are from 2008, whereas the (quite astute) quote I took from your blog was from 2010 – and I think the later view is correct.

It could perhaps be argued that the Ignatius RSV made a partial step towards ****Liturgiam Authenticam, but as you correctly pointed out, it certainly is not in full compliance with Liturgiam Authenticam, despite Father Fessio’s comments.
I just wish they would be more transparent about the whole process. The only tool we have to analyzing the changes is the appendix to Emmaus Press’ RSV Concordance, which indicates the changes. As pointed out in my blog, the changes are considerably more than simply the elimination of carchaic language and some tweaking here or there.

Also, with all the work that went into this ‘revision’, why is it not available in more editions. If this is to be a major Catholic translation than it should be packaged and marketed a whole lot better.
 
I know the US bishops hold the copyright on the NAB and that governs availability and use. Who holds the copyright(s) on various edtions of the RSV and RSV-CE? If I recall properly the first RSV-CE sold by Ignatius (the blue paperback many of us have that is now falling apart) was produced simply by scanning, cleaning up and printing an older version.
 
I believe copyright for the RSV, in general, is held by the National Council of Churches Of Christ USA, which also holds the copyright for the NRSV.
ncccusa.org/newbtu/btuhome.html
so I assume whoever translated the CE editions had permission for using the work and publishing those volumes. Is there not also an English copyright holder? not sure where the RSV originated.
 
so I assume whoever translated the CE editions had permission for using the work and publishing those volumes. Is there not also an English copyright holder? not sure where the RSV originated.
Yes they did. Just as the editors of the ESV did for their translation, which is basically a Evangelical revision of the RSV. (RSV is an American translation)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top