X
Xantippe
Guest
I don’t think Lady MacBeth belongs in this discussion–she did something REALLY bad and her handwashing is a manifestation of guilt over actual misdeeds.This seems to be an apt characterization of the kind of person you (and HD) seem to be talking about:
youtu.be/-NP-RsRGzVo?t=35
When actually the life of a scroop is much closer to this:
youtu.be/9dgbbtUbgcM?t=26
I know somebody pretty well who (while probably not technically scrupulous) has a tendency to geek out over minor moral i dotting and t crossing while at the same time dropping the ball in a variety of other areas. He’s a good guy, but that happens to be his particular moral bent. It’s the sort of thing that Jesus described the Pharisees as doing. See Matthew 23:23-24:
“23“Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices—mint, dill and cumin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law—justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former. 24You blind guides! You strain out a gnat but swallow a camel.”
That’s as good a portrait of the moral errors of some of the scrupulous as you will ever see–making very sure to tithe even the most piddling of their crops (the herbs), while forgetting big picture morals. That’s the tunnel vision I was talking about.
Likewise, I have another relative who isn’t necessarily scrupulous, but the most striking feature of his personality is fault-finding. Nobody and nothing is ever good enough for him. He suffers a lot (because he is also dissatisfied with himself), but everybody else around him suffers, too (although no doubt to a lesser extent). I suspect the same may be true of many scrupulous people–that they are (without noticing it), causing a great deal of pain to their loved ones.