EME

  • Thread starter Thread starter Kathy_McManus
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
As a Catholic, you are bound to obey the Holy Father and those who act in his name. The bishop and the priest are also bound by that same obedience. Unfortunately, by choosing to ignore what the CDWDS has said, you are saying that the Holy See does not matter. That is the sign that you are giving in your posts.
Thank you and God Bless. It is unfortunate that I cannot tell you the sign you are making with your posts and until I see it in writing and my Priest tells me to stop I will continue.
 
And, I would also bring to everyone’s attention, the teachings of Vatican I
Wherefore we teach and declare that, by divine ordinance, the Roman Church possesses a pre-eminence of ordinary power over every other Church, and that this jurisdictional power of the Roman Pontiff is both episcopal and immediate. Both clergy and faithful, of whatever rite and dignity, both singly and collectively, are bound to submit to this power by the duty of hierarchical subordination and true obedience, and this not only in matters concerning faith and morals, but also in those which regard the discipline and government of the Church throughout the world
Pastor Aeternus Sec 3, para 2

In other words, we are bound by obedience to the instructions of the Holy See, both in matters of Faith, and also in Church governance. That would include determining who, and who is not, entitled to give Blessings and when.
 
Keep in mind that there are some participating in this thread who have explicitly stated in previous posts in other threads that they do not believe in the infallibility of the Magisterium.

Arguing with someone who doesn’t believe this core and basic Catholic teaching is going to be difficult when it comes to liturgical matters and who has the authority to decide them.
Thank you and that would be me not ashamed to say it. I believe in the Bible period.
 
This thread is quickly devolving.

Here is the complete text of the response from the CDWDS when I wrote to them about this issue over a year ago:Congregatio de Cultu Divino et Disciplina Sacramentorum, Prot. N. 930/08/L

Dear [names omitted],

This Congregation for Divine Worship and the Disciple of the Sacraments acknowledges receipt of your kind letter of 13 August, 2008 and would like to thank you for your interest and suggestions. This matter is presently under the attentive study of the Congregation.

For the present, therefore, this Dicastery wishes to limit itself to the following observations:

  1. *]The liturgical blessing of the Holy Mass is properly given to each and to all at the conclusion of the Mass, just a few moments subsequent to the distribution of Holy Communion.
    *]Lay people, within the context of Holy Mass, are unable to confer blessings. These blessings, rather, are the competence of the priest (cf. Ecclesia de Mysterio, Notitiae 34 (15 Aug. 1997), art. 6, § 2; can. 1169, § 2; and Roman Ritual De Benedictionibus (1985), n. 18).
    *]Furthermore, the laying on of a hand or hands—which has its own sacramental significance, inappropriate here—by those distributing Holy Communion, in substitution for its reception, is to be explicitly discouraged.
    *]The Apostolic Exhortation Familiaris Consortio, n. 84, “forbids any pastor, for whatever reason to pretext even of a pastoral nature, to perform ceremonies of any kind for divorced people who remarry.” To be feared is that any form of blessing in substitution for communion would give the impression that the divorced and remarried have been returned, in some sense, to the status of Catholics in good standing.
    *]In a similar way, for others who are not to be admitted to Holy Communion in accord with the norm of law, the Church’s discipline has already made clear that they should not approach Holy Communion nor receive a blessing. This would include non-Catholics and those envisaged in can. 915 (i.e., those under the penalty of excommunication or interdict, and others who obstinately persist in manifest grave sin).

    Please continue to pray for the Church’s ministers that they ever become more worthy of the mystery they celebrate.

    With every good wish and kind regard, I am,

    Sincerely Yours in Christ,

    [signed]

    (Fr. Anthony Ward, S.M.)
    Under-Secretary
    This reply from the Under-Secretary of the CDWDS provided an interpretation or explanation of existing Church law and discipline. Any way you slice it, this response is quite clear on the following matters: 1) that there is a blessing given by a priest to all at the end of the Mass, 2) that lay-people cannot bestow blessings during Mass, 3) that the laying on of hands is inappropriate and explicitly discouraged during Communion, and 4) that those who are not permitted to receive Holy Communion should not present themselves for it or for a blessing in lieu of it.

    The response did not say anything about discouraging people from coming up for a blessing, simply that the Church’s discipline instructs them not to. The response also did not say what to do if a person does come up expecting a blessing.

    That is Lepanto’s question as well: knowing all this, what do you when a person comes up to receive a blessing during the Communion procession?

  1. I do what my PV does, simply nod my head and move on to the next communicant. Quite a few priests and deacons are following the lead of these observations down here and are refraining. There is, however, some consternation that information is not filtering from the top down, but, rather, from the bottom to the top.

    A priest asked me, in my subsquent follow-up to your letter, to ask the CDWDS how this information can best be released to the bishops so as to insure uniformity and obedience to what the Church asks us to do, or, in this case to not do.

    Even when I spoke to the CDWDS, they agreed that there was some concern on their part. Stuff like this needs to go beyond Notitae and go out to everyone, either via electronic format or snail mail. The indication that I got from them was that what they wrote you will stand, as they have received concerns from priests assisting at papal Masses who are faced with the same situation that Lepanto raised. Thus, not only did you raise it, but, the priests at these Masses as well. This lead the CDWDS to thinking that this was mostly an American matter, as the Americans were the ones coming forward for a blessing.
 
Once again, you are misleading individuals. The fact that the CDWDS has made five observations clearly indicating that this should not be done is enough to warrant the practice ilicit. In fact, these five reasons are solid reasons and have their basis in canon law and other authoritative documents of the Church. That is what you are choosing to ignore.
The CDWDS did not call this practice illicit even when directly addressing the issue, that is the fact and Catholics should know that.
The Bishop only errs if he is not aware of this letter. But, a lot of the times, it is the faithful who have to bring these items up to their priests and bishops. That is what the CDWDS is learning, at least here, in the United States. As I stated in this thread (before it got merged), the CDWDS is well aware of the resistance that their letter has ilicited.
If you would like me to consider your authority to speak for the CDWDS and hold a position superior to Bishops please post something from the Church showing that appointment
In fact, I have submitted another letter, at their request, for clarification (which will repeat what I have bene stating). This letter already treats another matter concerning Holy Communion which the CDWDS is clarifying.
I cannot take seriously the concept you submitted a letter telling the CDWDS you declared the practice illicit and are correcting Bishops on the issue
So, before you start making claims that really do not hold water, I would suggest that you hold off misleading posters until the offiical response has arrived.
I’ll stick my neck out with the CDWDS, Pope, Bishops, Magistrium, etc… sorry you will not be joining us
 
I stated in this thread (before it got merged),** the CDWDS is well aware of the resistance that their letter has ilicited.** In fact, I have submitted another letter, at their request, for clarification (which will repeat what I have bene stating). This letter already treats another matter concerning Holy Communion which the CDWDS is clarifying…
I have to wonder what information has been reported as resistance. Even if one supports the letter from the CDWDS, one must know how to charitably handle situations at hand. Just about all, if not all of those who have answered the OP’s question (before the thread was moved) have been criticized for their answers. I have yet to see responses from the OP and others who have criticized the answers given to offer any response of what they would do.
 
Thank you and that would be me not ashamed to say it. I believe in the Bible period.
So then, are you or are you not a Catholic? I ask this legitimate question because of your religious afiliation (in your thread). If you are not Catholic and are assisting in your ecclesial community, then you are not bound to obey our norms. However, if you are Catholic, then you are expressly bound to obey the norms and rubrics set forth by the Holy See. If you are Catholic, then, you cannot reject them.
 
I was fortunate that in my case, the people I was expected to bless were two little children who approached with their mother. I mostly ignored them to serve her, and then when they didn’t move on, I figured they were waiting for a customary acknowledgement, so I did kind of a nod and wink and that was enough for them. Phew!

I will repeat my earlier concern, that when EMHCs simulate blessings, people do not realize the power of a priestly or parental blessing. If people who cannot receive communion really want a blessing, not just going through the line to keep the traffic going, they ought to know that they can ask for one. Not just a quickie anonymous sign of the cross, but a real moment of prayer and specific blessing.

Before I was Catholic, I always approached for a blessing during communion because it was our local custom and because it was the closest I could get to Jesus in the Eucharist. It was a bit of a counterfeit, though, because I was accepting less than I wanted/needed. I don’t know if our deacon has a specific gift in this area, but whenever I ask him for a blessing, he always prays for exactly the right thing. Had I known pre-conversion that blessings-in-line were illicit, I think I would have gone to the trouble of asking for a “real” blessing earlier.

I guess that’s the heart of my concern–if we perpetuate simulated blessings, or even the real thing from a priest but in a hurried situation, people miss out on something really grace-filled.
 
The CDWDS did not call this practice illicit even when directly addressing the issue, that is the fact and Catholics should know that.

If you would like me to consider your authority to speak for the CDWDS and hold a position superior to Bishops please post something from the Church showing that appointment I cannot take seriously the concept you submitted a letter telling the CDWDS you declared the practice illicit and are correcting Bishops on the issue I’ll stick my neck out with the CDWDS, Pope, Bishops, Magistrium, etc… sorry you will not be joining us
Brendan has already given you enough proof. You are the one who is misleading people. The Holy See has already given five reasons why this should not be done. When something should not be done, but, is still being done, that means that it is ilicit.

Perhaps you need to read the documents, as they clearly indicate that no one has the right to insert anything into the Mass on their own authority.

As I said, you were wrong in previous threads of this nature and you are still wrong.
 
So then, are you or are you not a Catholic? I ask this legitimate question because of your religious afiliation (in your thread). If you are not Catholic and are assisting in your ecclesial community, then you are not bound to obey our norms. However, if you are Catholic, then you are expressly bound to obey the norms and rubrics set forth by the Holy See. If you are Catholic, then, you cannot reject them.
I am Catholic but I Believe in the Bible first.
 
Thank you and that would be me not ashamed to say it. I believe in the Bible period.
How are you allowed to be an EMHC? Your profile says you are a Protestant. You say you don’t believe in core Catholic beliefs, you believe in the Bible period.
 
How are you allowed to be an EMHC? Your profile says you are a Protestant. You say you don’t believe in core Catholic beliefs, you believe in the Bible period.
Because I am Catholic doen’t mean I have to agree to be brainwashed. I believe in the Bilble first.
 
Because I am Catholic doen’t mean I have to agree to be brainwashed. I believe in the Bilble first.
You sign yourself as a Protestant, hence the questioning. Perhaps you should read the authoritative documents of the Church. Since when is reading such considered being brain-washed? Again, if you are Catholic, then you need to submit to the norms established by the Church and obey them. Why the hesitancy? Why do you insist on challenging the Church’s teaching?
 
um, maybe I’m really missing something here, but did the CDWDS not state pretty explicitely in the documents posted that EMHC’s giving blessings is not to be done? I think they did, or did I really really drastically misread what was posted?:confused:

I think that if they state this, then all Catholics should obey this correct? We all know that no bishop, priest or anyone else has the authority to differ on this matter from the Magisterium. So what exactly is the argument? :confused:

They are supposed to be THE authority when it comes to this matter.

Let’s go with what these documents say and respect their authority. 👍
Praise God that He has given us His Church to speak to us infallibly on faith and morals. 🙂
 
um, maybe I’m really missing something here, but did the CDWDS not state pretty explicitely in the documents posted that EMHC’s giving blessings is not to be done? I think they did, or did I really really drastically misread what was posted?:confused:

I think that if they state this, then all Catholics should obey this correct? We all know that no bishop, priest or anyone else has the authority to differ on this matter from the Magisterium. So what exactly is the argument? :confused:
The argument appears to be “I want to do it and I don’t care what the CDWDS says.”
They are supposed to be THE authority when it comes to this matter.
Let’s go with what these documents say and respect their authority. 👍
Praise God that He has given us His Church to speak to us infallibly on faith and morals. 🙂
👍
 
I believe in the Bible period.
I’m not trying to start a fight here, I’m just still trying to reconcile your “Religion:” status with your statements. Does your statement here mean that you don’t believe the Church can make infallible pronouncements on doctrine, as she purports to have done at many ecumenical councils and on some occasions through the Pope himself?
 
You sign yourself as a Protestant, hence the questioning. Perhaps you should read the authoritative documents of the Church. Since when is reading such considered being brain-washed? Again, if you are Catholic, then you need to submit to the norms established by the Church and obey them. Why the hesitancy? Why do you insist on challenging the Church’s teaching?
If you read it correctly it says called Protestant. Look I do not care what you peole think I am a Christian who is also a Catholic and if it bothers you so be it.
 
um, maybe I’m really missing something here, but did the CDWDS not state pretty explicitely in the documents posted that EMHC’s giving blessings is not to be done? I think they did, or did I really really drastically misread what was posted?:confused:

I think that if they state this, then all Catholics should obey this correct? We all know that no bishop, priest or anyone else has the authority to differ on this matter from the Magisterium. So what exactly is the argument? :confused:

They are supposed to be THE authority when it comes to this matter.

Let’s go with what these documents say and respect their authority. 👍
Praise God that He has given us His Church to speak to us infallibly on faith and morals. 🙂
Great post! 👍👍👍
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top