B
Brendan
Guest
Has he told you to attempt to give blessings at Communion time?My pastor is faithful and has given me no reason not to trust his judgements.
Has he told you to attempt to give blessings at Communion time?My pastor is faithful and has given me no reason not to trust his judgements.
My priest is not telling me that it’s OK to offer a blessing. It is you who has said that. My priest has said that the EMHC are not to use hand gestures at all giving the impression that they are giving a blessing.So you pretty much say “Hey, Howzit gowin?’”
If the priest is telling you that you it’s OK to offer a blessing, then that would be a falsehood.
If someone in the Communion line walks away thinking they they recieved a blessing, and you did not dissuade them from the idea, then you perpetrated a falsehood. If you did that deliberately, then that would be a lie.
NOHas he told you to attempt to give blessings at Communion time?
Did I ever say those things? Oh one more thing remember when you are pointing a finger at me you have 3 more pointing at you. God BlessIf you are Protestant then why are you going to the Catholic Church?? If you do not believe in the Church then you probably do not believe in the Real Presence. Why then, are you receiving and distributing the Blessed Sacrament and going to Mass. If you don’t believe in the Church then why even go to Mass??
If you are not Catholic you are greatly disrespecting our faith by doing these things at Mass.
So I assume that you do not believe in the Church. Why then are you going to Mass?The Church is not the Bible.
Did I ever say those things? Oh one more thing remember when you are pointing a finger at me you have 3 more pointing at you. God Bless
Remember what assume means . I go because I choose to oh and thank you and God BlessYou said that
So I assume that you do not believe in the Church. Why then are you going to Mass?
As someone pointed out, the Communion line is not an appropriate place to give a detailed catechesis. You just don’t have time to be explaining to everyone that you cannot give a blessings, One cannot be guilty of perpetrating a falsehood by saying “God bless you”. They are not blessing anyone. They know that they are not blessing anyone. They are not trying to imply that they are blessing anyone. If someone misunderstands what that greeting means, that is not the fault of the person greeting them.If someone in the Communion line walks away thinking they they recieved a blessing, and you did not dissuade them from the idea, then you perpetrated a falsehood. If you did that deliberately, then that would be a lie.
Does your pastor know that you openly and categorically reject Church teaching and Church authority?Remember what assume means . I go because I choose to oh and thank you and God Bless
Wow the thread hits a new low. Did you factor in any church teaching in your decision?Does your pastor know that you openly and categorically reject Church teaching and Church authority?
I did. She’s stated repeatedly that she rejects everything but the Bible and scoffs at the notion that she should at least think about what the Church says about this. I stand up for the Church.Wow the thread hits a new low. Did you factor in any church teaching in your decision?
tweety(name removed by moderator) has said some things that are of great concern especially because she serves as an EMHC. However, the questions asked of her and the concerns expressed by some posters could have been phrased in a more charitable way.I did. She’s stated repeatedly that she rejects everything but the Bible and scoffs at the notion that she should at least think about what the Church says about this. I stand up for the Church.
Not true.Yes, you are indeed perpetuating a falsehood if you are doing this, because you are imitating the priest, and absolutely implying a blessing!
I agree with you that those going up may be confused, They should not be going up at all in the Communion line. Not even the priest should be giving blessings in the Communion line. So why accuse the EMHC, who are only doing as they have been directed, of “insisting on doing the wrong thing” ? And certainly non-communicants should not be invited to come up. The question is, what does one do, (priest, deacon or EMHC) do when non-communicants do come up. I don’t think the answer is that clear. But I certainly would not insult you by accusing you of perpetuating a false hood because I disagree with your answer.Zab, if people know the difference between a priestly blessing and a layperson’s “greeting,” then why on earth are they getting in an EMHC’s line?
They really want to just come up and get greeted? Really?
And why do we commonly call it “going up for a blessing,” if people who go up know they aren’t really getting a blessing?
They don’t know the difference. They think an EMHC’s simulated blessing is equivalent to a priestly blessing, and any EMHC who continues to simulate blessings is perpetuating the problem.
Would you explain what this means?Did I ever say those things? Oh one more thing remember when you are pointing a finger at me you have 3 more pointing at you. God Bless
OK, we have now officially crossed the line into argumentum ad absurdum.Ok then were does it say they can’t?
First, I would very much like to read, in your own words, what you think a blessing is, what its theological significance is, and what is imparted by one. Should be easy to answer for such a proponent of them. (Hint: blessings are “mini” exorcisms.)I am going to continue to give blessings.Then flab you your arms if you want to I’m not going to stop ya!