I Thank God that we practiced “Natural Family Planning.” Using this method most women conceive with in 1-3 months. Due to my NFP charts which spanned 18 months, my doctor was able to read my cycle. He said it contained a wealth of information, and just knocked off 6 months of expensive fertility tests.
Sadly we found out we could never conceive naturally. We decided to adopt! We signed up with an agency, and started the paperwork. We were told that over a million couples a year could not find a baby to adopt. ( now it’s over 2 million) I asked a Holy Catholic woman in our parish to ask God when we would be able to adopt. She prayed and said, “We would know in June.” It was early May. I was sooo excited, but June came & went with no news. I said, “Well that was a lousy professy.” She responded with a smile, “Wait for next June.” Honestly, I was ticked off. I was sick & tired of waiting…
Much later we heard from a teenage couple who wanted to meet with us. She was so cute, and energetic. Her hair color, and freckles matched my own. He looked like he could be my husbands younger brother! They wanted a Catholic Family. We both came from families that had been Catholic for generations. They wanted a couple who’s marriage was solid. We had been married 7 years. They wanted a couple who were financially sound. We owned a home, and had saved for adoption. We had sooo much fun sharing with each other our dreams for the baby! It was sooo exciting. They had considered marriage, but decided not to. They both had scholarships to College. They wanted to get educated, and married before becoming parents. They wanted their baby to have the best in life, and weren’t able to provide it. After several meetings, and getting to know each other they asked us to adopt their baby! We hopped up & down! I squealed. We laughed and hugged. They told us we were expecting a baby girl! They gave us ultrasound pictures of her! I wept. There aren’t words to describe how wonderful it was. And…IT WAS JUNE!
The more we learned about these teens the more we admired them. We felt led by God to offer to have an open adoption with them. They prayed about it, and decided to continue our communications after the baby was born. We invited them to see our home, and the nursery we had set up! We had already enjoyed 3 baby showers, and were able to show them all the cute clothes, accesories, and toys awaiting our baby! the 4 of us shared this spiritual unity. This wonderful sense that God had brought us together for the love of this child. They invited us to name her before she was even born! We named her Heather.
When we brought our baby home, I was soooo excited, I couldn’t sleep for 3 nights. I’d just lay in bed and smile. Her cribette was right next to me. I could hear her breath, and see her beautiful face. We told her birthparents that they were invited to visit as soon as they felt up to it. They visited 4 times the first year, and I sent letters, and pictures once a month. They loved sharing them with family, and friends. When ever Heather did something new, I looked forward to sharing it with them. We knew they were as excited as we were, and so proud of her! They have become like extended family. They have been so deeply respectful of us. In fact they told another birthmom about us, and she adopted us for her baby! Our son Nicholas. That’s another happy baby story.
Our Birth Parents, and Grand parents shared in our joy at our kids’ Baptisms, First Communions, Confirmations, and our daughter’s wedding! God is so sweet to us…