English translation of the TALMUD?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Clairvaux
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that might be interesting- folk remedies from the Talmud.
Folk remedies - from the Talmud? Try dietary laws - that are very helpful to all persons and they are in laymen terms. Great resources…you ought to read them.

Moses Maimonides (Rabbi Moshe ben Maimon, usually referred to in Hebrew by the acronym "RaMBa"M) was one of the towering figures in medieval intellectual and religious life. In addition to his law code, he excelled in the fields of philosophy, science, medicine, exegesis and communal leadership.
 
Sinds i read the great book of Brant Pitre: “JESUS AND THE JEWISH ROOTS OF THE EUCHARIST” (which is the best book i ever read on the eucharist), i saw that he qoutes many times from the Talmud, to get a better understanding of the jewish background of the eucharist, but on the other side the Talmud also contains horibble and blashemy against the Lord Jesus Christ and the Virgin Mary, which are complety anti-christian, so with these facts i would like to read the sources my self from the Talmud.
The basic general problem with Pitre’s work (and much of Scott Hahn’s for that matter) is that you really can’t take things from the Talmud (c. 500 A.D) or even the Mishnah for that matter, and necessarily retroject them back to the first century. Some things in the Talmud MAY represent some form of the Jewish tradition at the time of Jesus, but maybe not. Rabbinic Judaism was significantly shaped by the destruction of the Temple, something that happened after the time of Jesus. Further, Rabbinic Judaism (including things like the Passover Seder) were likely influenced by Christian practices, so some apparent similarities may actually be working the other way.
 
Sinds i read the great book of Brant Pitre: “JESUS AND THE JEWISH ROOTS OF THE EUCHARIST” (which is the best book i ever read on the Eucharist), i saw that he quotes many times from the Talmud, to get a better understanding of the Jewish background of the Eucharist, but on the other side the Talmud also contains horrible and blasphemy against the Lord Jesus Christ and the Virgin Mary, which are completely anti-christian, so with these facts i would like to read the sources my self from the Talmud.
Hi Clairvaux,

There is a book that I really want to read by Pope Benedict, “God Is Near Us: The Eucharist, the Heart of Life”. So this week I passed by Borders, twice, hoping for a good deal - I finally went into the store, like all the women who had walked/ran into the store, did not speak to anyone and went directly to the religious section. I was hoping that I would at least find what was left over - my favorite “New Jerusalem bible” (nope), or perhaps the two books that I hold dear to me from the pope’s words (one book (left) - on the life of Christ), but there it was the book I’ve been waiting for…so close and yet so far away. I went up to the cashier - three books in hand, and asked the question, "Do you have “holds?”! - Imagine for a second the look on the cashiers face - the words not spoken “Are you kidding!”…

I’ve read some of the books that the Pope had written,not all, by route of the library. So if I needed any additional book, I would past by the deacon’s door at church - and he knows that I snoop through his books - as he probably keeps most of them at home. So on the way back - guess where I stop next, the synagogue - walk pass the Rabbi’s door and into his library - no kidding.

I now have, from the library, Questions and Answers, Church Ecumenism & Politics, Church Fathers and Teachers and Signs of Life (Scott Hahn) - if I want to look up Jewish source, and the fella at the Jewish community who scans all my books out, always ask this question when the Jewish women are around - “She’s trying to teach herself Judaism!” and I always reply back, “Thank you - Gary!”…

Clairvaux, don’t spend $$ only to read something that won’t bring you to the understanding that our Lord wants you to know - about himself.

Zacchaeus wanted to see Jesus. Was it just curiosity because a crowd was gathering or was it because Zacchaeus had heard much about Jesus already and knew that Jesus would be kind to him? Surely it must be that he already knew much about Jesus because we see that his heart was ready to receive Jesus. Zacchaeus had to climb a sycamore tree to see Jesus because he was so short. If it was anybody else who climbed a sycamore tree it would not be a surprise because farmers and horticulturalists climbed sycamore trees every year to slit the sycamore figs to help them ripen. (see Amos 7:14. Sycamore trees in Palestine are not the sycamore trees of the West). But class distinctions between people were pronounced and when the chief tax collector Zacchaeus climbed the sycamore tree it shows that he was serious about seeing Jesus.

Climb the tree and watch our Lord pass (metaphorically speaking) - What was the great passage ! “Today salvation has come to this house because this man too is a descendant of Abraham. For the Son of Man has come to seek and to save what was lost.” (Luke 19:9-10)

My favorite passage! “Zacchaeus, come down immediately. I must stay at your house today.” 6 So he came down at once and welcomed him gladly."

Mary -
 
The basic general problem with Pitre’s work (and much of Scott Hahn’s for that matter) is that you really can’t take things from the Talmud (c. 500 A.D) or even the Mishnah for that matter, and necessarily retroject them back to the first century. Some things in the Talmud MAY represent some form of the Jewish tradition at the time of Jesus, but maybe not. Rabbinic Judaism was significantly shaped by the destruction of the Temple, something that happened after the time of Jesus. Further, Rabbinic Judaism (including things like the Passover Seder) were likely influenced by Christian practices, so some apparent similarities may actually be working the other way.
So right - Passover which was traditionally celebrated within the home, as to quote, were celebrated with family and friend - and those who did not have a place to celebrate:

“The Jews were directed by Moses to gather in family and neighborly
clusters to eat and recall together, “And on that day you will
explain to your son, 'This is because of what Yahweh did for me when
I came out of Egypt” (Exodus 13, 8). The lesson of God’s freeing the
Israelites from slavery was to be taught in the fullness of both
intellectual knowledge and the warmth of the heart surrounded by
loved ones, family and friends.” LINK

Many things had changed converting back again to original traditions. In Jerusalem, many customs took place at the temple but since the destruction of the temple, the synagogues ( and not replacing the long-since destroyed Temple in Jerusalem) became places for prayer. In Europe - and speaking about the school of Jewish learning and during the war (World War II), Poland was considered the place for higher learning - since then destroyed, Germany was equal or comparable. Now (like - the temple) these communities became smaller. My relatives had roots in all that - that’s how my great grandfather came to America. Both grandparents had died coming here, one died on the way and the other died soon afterwards - and their children (my great grandfather) and his brother grew up and raised their families - away from. Europe - was mainly Orthodox, traditional Judaism (somewhat) was scares. For the sake of repetition, there was a big different (in communities) Sephardi Jews (Jews from the Middle Eastern countries) and Ashkenazi Jews (Jews from Europe) - sometimes I think mostly competing when it comes to their studies. You will probably see more Sephardi lean toward Mishnah - because of Maimonides, but then again maybe not. Rabbinical Judaism - is diffidently more about the law.

The Talmud - is mostly made of laws dealing with issue about the community as a whole. Like I said if you want to know about a specific subject, these topic are categorized. They mostly deal with issues of purification laws, kosher (Kashrut: Jewish Dietary Laws), Moed (“Festival”), pertaining to the laws of the Sabbath and the Festivals (12 tractates), etc…
Depending upon what subject you want to learn - there is much information.

So really, the Talmud is for those students who are studying Torah - when you really think about it, there is the written law and oral. Most of the oral traditions are handed down from one generation to the next concerning a particular subject or on traditions. You can’t just jump in and learn it - you really have to have some familiarity with the general thought. A lot of memorization goes on…again, its because of the fact one generation is passing this knowledge to the next. That’s why Gary at the Jewish community center gives me such a hard time around the other Jewish women. He’s lucky that there not activist - these women are from Russia, around 80 years old and don’t speak very good English, yet.

Hope I helped and didn’t hurt.

[Artscroll Schottenstein Talmud
Making Talmud Accessible

From Lisa Katz, former About.com Guide](What Is the Torah?)
 
The basic general problem with Pitre’s work (and much of Scott Hahn’s for that matter) is that you really can’t take things from the Talmud (c. 500 A.D) or even the Mishnah for that matter, and necessarily retroject them back to the first century. Some things in the Talmud MAY represent some form of the Jewish tradition at the time of Jesus, but maybe not. Rabbinic Judaism was significantly shaped by the destruction of the Temple, something that happened after the time of Jesus. Further, Rabbinic Judaism (including things like the Passover Seder) were likely influenced by Christian practices, so some apparent similarities may actually be working the other way.
Josephus is the only real source for first century A.D. Judaism practices. His work is available online and not nearly 22 volumes long!
 
The basic general problem with Pitre’s work (and much of Scott Hahn’s for that matter) is that you really can’t take things from the Talmud (c. 500 A.D) or even the Mishnah for that matter, and necessarily retroject them back to the first century. Some things in the Talmud MAY represent some form of the Jewish tradition at the time of Jesus, but maybe not. Rabbinic Judaism was significantly shaped by the destruction of the Temple, something that happened after the time of Jesus. Further, Rabbinic Judaism (including things like the Passover Seder) were likely influenced by Christian practices, so some apparent similarities may actually be working the other way.
Correct. As much as I respect Dr. Hahn’s works, I do have some issues with a few of the ideas now associated with him, such as the Fourth Cup (which I did once thought was the bee’s knees :D) and the Melchizedek=Shem identification, because of his somewhat over-reliance on later Rabbinic sources on both ideas. (I’ve talked about the various traditions surrounding the priest-king Melchizedek in this thread.) I can’t say much about Brent Pitre now since I haven’t read him. Yet. Probably will get to him someday.
 
I did not check these sites out. But while I practiced Judaism, I always stuck to book.

Sometimes the websites can trick you and add stuff in. I notice a few sites done by people with beliefs similar to the stormfront type.
That is not the case with those sites, most are Jewish sites or digital reproductions without additions.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top