EPA to ease back emissions standards

  • Thread starter Thread starter ATraveller
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

ATraveller

Guest
Apparently cars need to be wasteful and force the US to import more oil from the Middle East. Seems counterproductive.

 
How reasonable is this?

Current regulations from the EPA require the fleet of new vehicles to get 36 miles per gallon in real-world driving by 2025. That’s about 10 mpg over the existing standard.
 
The US Is a big oil producer. Also, oil is cheap. Why wouldn’t we use it and even import it?

The world’s biggest user of oil is the US military. Trying to get regular folks to live reduced quality lives to use less oil and somehow save the world is silly when the military is consuming oil with abandon and using it to destroy the world.
 
I’m not sure why anybody thinks Barrack Obama, a lawyer and politician whose main experience with autos is riding in the back of them to and from speeches is qualified to set national fuel and efficiency standards for automobiles.
 
How reasonable is this?
I believe that number is for light duty vehicles. I’m maxing at 31 mpg under best conditions now in my car with an automatic transmission and maxed at 34 mpg in my previous car with a manual transmission. (I’m not sure how the SAE would rate the mpg for the vehicles though). Based on this on some other cars I’ve rented 36 mpg sounds reasonable to me. I’m sure people with other experiences will feel otherwise.
 
Based on this on some other cars I’ve rented 36 mpg sounds reasonable to me. I’m sure people with other experiences will feel otherwise.
It isn’t reasonable for all. A lot of rural drivers have no vehicle other than a 1/2 ton or bigger pickup because they need it. A half ton really isn’t all that much, and rural people carry that kind of load a lot. Those sure don’t get 36 mpg. Get a 5 or 6 passenger one and there’s no hope of 36 mph.

Nor do the kinds of vehicles one of my daughters has to drive. They have seven children. Gotta have a pretty sizeable SUV for that.
 
Something else needs to be realized. CAFE standards are averages. Americans prefer the larger vehicles that don’t get the high mileage. Manufacturers balance it out by making cars with very high mileage (a lot of it in foreign countries) that are not profitable to make.
 
It isn’t reasonable for all. A lot of rural drivers have no vehicle other than a 1/2 ton or bigger pickup because they need it.
Light trucks are under a different classification than passenger vehicles. With the last set of numbers that I saw light trucks had a requirement of making around 68% of the mpg for passenger cars. That 36 mpg translates down to 24 mpg for those trucks.
 
Last edited:
I’m not sure why anybody thinks Barrack Obama, a lawyer and politician whose main experience with autos is riding in the back of them to and from speeches is qualified to set national fuel and efficiency standards for automobiles.
(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)
 
I’m not sure why anybody thinks Barrack Obama, a lawyer and politician whose main experience with autos is riding in the back of them to and from speeches is qualified to set national fuel and efficiency standards for automobiles.
Do you really have no handle whatsoever on decision making processes in large administrations?
 
Do you really have no handle whatsoever on decision making processes in large administrations?
If Obama didn’t make the decision, who did, and what are their qualifications to set national fuel efficiency and emissions standards for automobiles nationwide?
 
If Obama didn’t make the decision, who did, and what are their qualifications to set national fuel efficiency and emissions standards for automobiles nationwide?
Excellent question - and one that you might have considered finding an answer to before assume one in your post.
 
Excellent question - and one that you might have considered finding an answer to before assume one in your post.
I thought you must know since you knew it wasn’t Obama, but it seems you don’t know anything about it.
 
I’m not sure why anybody thinks Barrack Obama, a lawyer and politician whose main experience with autos is riding in the back of them to and from speeches is qualified to set national fuel and efficiency standards for automobiles.
And Trump has auto experience other than riding in the back of them?
 
Yes he is by lowering standards.
Standards are NEW whether they are lowered or raised.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top