EPA to ease back emissions standards

  • Thread starter Thread starter ATraveller
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
When you look at child labor and where it is a problem, it’s not fromcountries that are major traders with the US.


Trade with the US comes hand in hand with expectations on fair treatment of workers. Often it’s the US buyer that may push for improved work standards for the employees, and after inroads are made with export producers, it bleeds into the expectations for other producers that are not exporting to the 1st world.

The buyers may not even be altruistic, they may just want to avoid a scandal. But they do set expectations and will switch suppliers when they are not met.

FYI, the Congo exports primarily to two countries: China 53.4% Zambia 24.5%
The US has little to no influence on their economy and their labor standards.

Also, the Congo probably has very few factory workers. I expect they are mostly working in agriculture and mining. They would love to be in an air conditioned factory making widgets instead of out in the fields or an unsafe mine.
 
Last edited:
You are still not getting or responding to my main point which is: 20 percent of the World’s population is consuming 80 percent of the World’s resources. That is not fair, nor is it sustainable.
ROFL,

Have you ever heard of the Pareto rule? Most things in life follow that divide of 80/20, always have. I expect 20% of the people in every country across the globe consume 80% of their resources.

Why is it unfair? You’ve already agreed you don’t need more stuff to be happy, so stop being jealous of the people who are large consumers.

Seriously, why is it unfair, that a big hole in your paradign.

You’ve also failed to show consumption is unsustainable. I’m confident we will adapt, just as we have in the past
 
Last edited:
Instead of being rude, just answer the question - why is it wrong that some people consume more than others?

Is it just people that consume more than you, who are bad?
 
Last edited:
Yes I know all about that old 80/20 rule. Actually, the consumption statistic is more like 83 percent vs 17 percent. But gosh, I wouldn’t want to burden you with any new information that might change your World view.
I expect your figures are highly suspect, one would need to normalize for purchasing power since you can live like a king in most of the developing world on what we pay teachers in the US.

Still waiting for your proof that it’s wrong for some people to consume more than others.
 
If you need to haul things or people, you need a vehicle that is up to the task. That’s likely to be a truck, suburban, or mini-van, none of which are great in mpg.

If you don’t haul things very often, you likely have a second vehicle with better MPG.

How is this morally wrong?
The well to do subsidize people like me. I do prefer driving luxury cars, but I wouldn’t spend $90,000 for one or anything even close to it. But if I can buy, let’s say, a used high-end BMW or Mercedes for the price of a new low-end Chevy, I’ll buy the high-ender because they last well and besides, rich people take good care of their vehicles until they trade them in.

And then eventually, if I don’t drive the car into the ground, I trade it in on a new used luxury car and some poorer person than me gets to drive it.
 
The moral issues in the purchase of a vehicle include:

Stewardship of God’s resources
Motivations for purchasing the vehicle
Who else might be affected by the purchase
If someone buys a used car then the overall utility and economy are maximized.

No one has the right to judge someone else’s vehicle choice.
 
If someone buys a used car then the overall utility and economy are maximized.

No one has the right to judge someone else’s vehicle choice.
If I were to judge, my focus would be on hypocritical celebs who jet around to their many houses, or private islands, maybe just after giving a speech on how we need to change to solve Climate Change.

I appreciate that cars usually have a second or third life and are fully utilized,
at least unless the next Dem POTUS runs another ‘Cash for Clunkers’ fiasco.

I wish more items were either more durable or truly disposable, where the materials readily decompose. We’re still in the bad spot where we have many disposable items that don’t readily decompose. But I think innovation will save us here in the long run.
 
Last edited:
I wish more items were either more durable or truly disposable, where the materials readily decompose. We’re still in the bad spot where we have many disposable items that don’t readily decompose. But I think innovation will save us here in the long run.
If the Earth was flat, we could just dump it off the edge.
 
If the Earth was flat, we could just dump it off the edge.
Makes for an interesting thought experiment, but since gravity will pull you in the direction of the earth’s center of gravity you wouldn’t exactly be able to dump off the edge. It would just slide back closer to the center. Not that you’ll find a material that could have the same mass as the earth that doesn’t get pulled into sphere like shape.
 
Makes for an interesting thought experiment, but since gravity will pull you in the direction of the earth’s center of gravity you wouldn’t exactly be able to dump off the edge. It would just slide back closer to the center. Not that you’ll find a material that could have the same mass as the earth that doesn’t get pulled into sphere like shape.
If the Earth was flat, then we could ALSO harness Free Zero-Point Energy.

Everything changes.
 
Last edited:
If someone buys a used car then the overall utility and economy are maximized.

No one has the right to judge someone else’s vehicle choice.
So as long as I serve myself in the marketplace that is all I need to be concerned about? Can you point to some Church teaching that backs that up?
 
Makes for an interesting thought experiment, but since gravity will pull you in the direction of the earth’s center of gravity you wouldn’t exactly be able to dump off the edge. It would just slide back closer to the center. Not that you’ll find a material that could have the same mass as the earth that doesn’t get pulled into sphere like shape.
Maybe you need to watch Discworld, by Terry Pratchett
 
So as long as I serve myself in the marketplace that is all I need to be concerned about?
Who else are you supposed to serve when considering the purchase of an automobile? Do you really expect anybody to believe that when shopping for a car you seriously consider the impact of your purchase on hungry Somalis or even your own descendants 10 generations hence?
 
Last edited:
Who else are you supposed to serve when considering the purchase of an automobile? Do you really expect anybody to believe that when shopping for a car you seriously consider the impact of your purchase on hungry Somalis or even your own descendants 10 generations hence?
Matthew 25:45.
 
Matthew 25:45.
Does that mean you expect people to believe that when making a purchase you consider the impact on the starving of Somalia or even your own great great grandchildren? If you do you’re the only one.
 
virtue signalling can be quite grey, do they really mean it or is it just for show.
 
Does that mean you expect people to believe that when making a purchase you consider the impact on the starving of Somalia or even your own great great grandchildren? If you do you’re the only one.
Not necessarily. When considering one’s consumption of a finite resource, it’s quite reasonable (and quite moral) to consider the larger picture when making purchasing decisions.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top