EPA to ease back emissions standards

  • Thread starter Thread starter ATraveller
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not the one who brought up Africa. In fact I am not sure how it is relevant. Some poster seemed to get offended by the idea when we act as consumers that we might have an obligation beyond acting as selfish, hedonistic individuals and brought up Somalia. Of course this poster never cited any church teaching that said it was morally appropriate to act as selfish, hedonistic individuals.
And I certainly didn’t bring up Africa with you, so if you are trying to go somewhere with it, be intentional and clear.

Being a US Consumer does no harm to Somalia You can be both a consumer and donate your time/money to aid poor people, preferably in your own neck of the woods (subsidiarity)
 
And I certainly didn’t bring up Africa with you, so if you are trying to go somewhere with it, be intentional and clear.
Actually, you did bring up Africa. What your point was nobody will ever know, but don’t try to say you didn’t bring up the issue.

https://forums.catholic-questions.org/t/epa-to-ease-back-emissions-standards/480534/104?u=stinkcat_14

Tell me where does the Church say that I should give to poor people in my own neck of the woods rather than Somalia? Are you saying I am morally required to cancel my next trip to Africa because the money could be better spent helping local poor people? Please cite some Church teaching backing that up.
Being a US Consumer does no harm to Somalia You can be both a consumer and donate your time/money to aid poor people, preferably in your own neck of the woods (subsidiarity)
 
I said “I didn’t bring up Africa with you” I just responded back after you interjected.

I’m saying people should take to heart the Church teachings on Subsidiarity since there is solid thinking behind the approach in organizing and helping the needy. Far too many people sponsor kids all across the globe yet aren’t involved with the needy in their own communities.
1883 Socialization also presents dangers. Excessive intervention by the state can threaten personal freedom and initiative. The teaching of the Church has elaborated the principle of subsidiarity, according to which "a community of a higher order should not interfere in the internal life of a community of a lower order, depriving the latter of its functions, but rather should support it in case of need and help to co- ordinate its activity with the activities of the rest of society, always with a view to the common good."7
I have no idea why you would suggest cancelling your work/vacation trip to Africa, have no idea what you are doing there.
 
Last edited:
Socialization also presents dangers. Excessive intervention by the state can threaten personal freedom and initiative. The teaching of the Church has elaborated the principle of subsidiarity, according to which "a community of a higher order should not interfere in the internal life of a community of a lower order, depriving the latter of its functions, but rather should support it in case of need and help to co- ordinate its activity with the activities of the rest of society, always with a view to the common good."7
Who is talking about state intervention? You are like ADD on steroids. Learn to focus.
 
Who is talking about state intervention? You are like ADD on steroids. Learn to focus.
I cited the CCC on Subsidiarity, which I didn’t write. You naturally will read into it what you wish. I was keyed in on the order of things as it was presented.

So why do you fly to Africa?
 
Wow, my 2010 has about 150,000 miles on it. I only expect to get another 3 years out of it. Then I’m looking to get a hybrid. Not for environmental reasons, but because fuel is a significant expense. Rapid growth over the past decade of the population where I live coupled with a lack of proportional expansion of the transportation system has resulted in the cost of driving a certain distance increasing just form the time spent sitting idle on the road.
 
ot necessarily. When considering one’s consumption of a finite resource, it’s quite reasonable (and quite moral) to consider the larger picture when making purchasing decisions.
A car is not a finite resource; nor does it consume finite resources.

The metals are all recycled into other uses when the car application is concluded. The fluids are recycled as are the plastics.

The Earth and its resources are basically infinite. The Planet Earth is 7,000 miles in diameter. It is rotating / spinning at 1,000 miles per hour at the equator. The Earth is bombarded with energy … cosmic rays from we know not where. We are bombarded with solar radiation from the sun. We are protected by barriers that we don’t know the origin of. The deepest oil well goes down about 30,000 feet and there is ONE mine that goes down 16,000 feet. None of them is deeper than five miles which is not even a p(name removed by moderator)rick into that 7,000 miles.

The Earth is infinite. Not finite.

The Earth ADDS mass continuously. There is an expedition at Antarctica that just walks around collecting visible meteorites that have landed and just lay on the white snow waiting to be collected. There are many more that splash into the oceans.

When the Earth’s atmosphere heats up, being a gas, it expands and gets denser. When it cools off, it contracts. There are MASSIVE air currents that cause the atmosphere to mix and stir constantly.

Fresh water rains down CONSTANTLY just waiting to be collected and used. It is generated from the heat of the sun that evaporates it from the oceans.


Study the Van Allen belts and the magnetosphere and the polar cusps.

I already posted this stuff, but the mods came after me because it was on my personal Web site. But you can look it up.

In fact, you can go further and research Zero point energy and Pulsed Plasma Physics. We only know about 20% of the “available” energy that is “out there”.
 
Last edited:
Different situation for me. I live in New York City, where one drives as little as humanly possible. If it weren’t for driving my elderly and mobility-impaired father to church every Sunday, the car would probably only come out of the garage every five or six weeks.
 
So cars are a finite resource because we have a finite amount of steel, labor and other parts.
No. You choose an esthetically pleasing shape. That’s why a car costs money.

You can build your own for cheap.


http://struckcorp.com/army-themed-mini-beep-is-fun-to-build-and-fun-to-drive/

[Just discontinued a few months ago.]

One reason for high cost of cars … is the price of all the government bureaucrats you carry with you. We have an infinite number of bureaucrats.
 
Last edited:
No. You choose an esthetically pleasing shape. That’s why a car costs money.

You can build your own for cheap.
You can build the mini-bulldozer for $17k, that is anything but cheap. Things that cost $17k are not infinite in supply.
 
You can build the mini-bulldozer for $17k, that is anything but cheap. Things that cost $17k are not infinite in supply.
I was referring to the Mini-Beep.Just now discontinued probably owing to the bureaucrats. But you build it out of plywood.

 
Last edited:
Were they giving them away for free?
Almost.

I bought the assembly book five years ago.

The plywood would be from a lumber yard.

They sold a few metal parts that they had shaped.

I put up a building to use as a workshop.
 
Last edited:
Different situation for me. I live in New York City, where one drives as little as humanly possible.
Quite different. I am in the Atlanta area. The train system layout is best described as a plus mark written on the city and if your destination isn’t along that line then getting around just sucks. My place of employment recently merged with a location that is further north. It’s only 7 more miles, but that added another hour onto commute time.
 
So cars are a finite resource because we have a finite amount of steel, labor and other parts.
No. If you want an esthetically pleasing car, you will need to find workers who are skilled artisans.

OR, you COULD get a car that runs on simple AA batteries:

Like this one>


SEE … not that big a deal
 
Last edited:
OR …you could invest in YOUR future … in part by giving up some of your time today listening to this … and maybe figure out how to gain in the future …

click here google youtube invest ;
 
Last edited:
Wow, my 2010 has about 150,000 miles on it. I only expect to get another 3 years out of it. Then I’m looking to get a hybrid. Not for environmental reasons, but because fuel is a significant expense. Rapid growth over the past decade of the population where I live coupled with a lack of proportional expansion of the transportation system has resulted in the cost of driving a certain distance increasing just form the time spent sitting idle on the road.
Yes, hybrids really shine in bad traffic, it’s where I get my best mileage
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top