Eucharistic Ministers/lectors

• Thread starter Thread starter liebchen77
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

liebchen77

How do you become involved in these ministries? Do I just ask our priest? Are there prerequisites, such as how long I have belonged to the Church, etc.?

How do you become involved in these ministries? Do I just ask our priest? Are there prerequisites, such as how long I have belonged to the Church, etc.?
Just ask at your parish. They will explain what requirements etc they apply.

Call the office. There’s usually some scheduled training involved, but the length of it and frequency it is given depends on the parish.

They will be happy that you are getting involved. I doubt there’s a length of time that you have to be at the parish.

Yep, just call the parish office as others have said. They will lead you from there. If you have training at a previous parish that will help out even more.

I was called (literally-on the phone) by our Deacon (well, he wasn’t a deacon then, but you know what I mean).

He asked me if I wanted to be an Extraordinary Communion Minister.

I’ve also since been trained as an Altar Server, and was pressed into last-minute lector duties a couple of times.

Actually, the first time I was an Altar Server was for the Bishop at the local college Mass. My training consisted of “watch what the servers to at your parish on Saturday and remember what they do.” I was a nervous wreck, but we got thru it fine.

Well, to become a Eucharistic Minister you would need to be ordained as a Priest or Deacon. Most parishes in the US are allowed to use Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion, there should be information in the bulletin or at least a contact person for that ministry.

Actually, to become an ORDINARY Eucharistic Minister you would need to be ordained member of clergy.
The term Eucharistic Minister is reserved for Bishops or Priests, Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion are lay people. There is no specific term “Ordinary Eucharistic Minister”…it is simply used to clarify that only a Bishop or Priest in the ordinary Eucharistic Minister.

At our parish, there is scheduled training as well as scripture study. And before you actually are allowed to be an extraordinary minister of the Eucharist, we have a commissioning ceremony at one of the Sunday masses. You are given you commission for a period of three years which is then renewed if you are invited. And you are then you are formally recommissioned. Pray on it always.

The term Eucharistic Minister is reserved for Bishops or Priests, Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion are lay people. There is no specific term “Ordinary Eucharistic Minister”…it is simply used to clarify that only a Bishop or Priest in the ordinary Eucharistic Minister.
Are deacons some odd category inbetween priests and laity? I ask because of a post just before this one.

Are deacons some odd category inbetween priests and laity? I ask because of a post just before this one.
AFAIK, a Deacon would be considered an ordinary Minister or the Eucharist…I think it is stated in Canon law.

Deacons receive Holy Orders. They are ordinary ministers of Communion as priests and bishops are. Hopefully, we are not considered an oddity. We have been around for a long time…in fact, the first martyr was St.Stephen, deacon.

Of course, we were not reintroduced until after Vatican II. St.Francis of Assisi and St.Lawrence are two more deacons.

Per message #8 it seems there is a difference of opinion on whether deacons would qualify.
Not a difference of opinion, but a matter of Canon Law…here are the appropriate Canons:
Can. 900 §1. The minister who is able to confect the sacrament of the Eucharist in the person of Christ is a validly ordained priest alone.

Can. 910 §1. The ordinary minister of holy communion is a bishop, presbyter, or deacon.

§2. The extraordinary minister of holy communion is an acolyte or another member of the Christian faithful designated according to the norm of ⇒ can. 230, §3.

Can. 230 §3. When the need of the Church warrants it and ministers are lacking, lay persons, even if they are not lectors or acolytes, can also supply certain of their duties, namely, to exercise the ministry of the word, to preside offer liturgical prayers, to confer baptism, and to distribute Holy Communion, according to the prescripts of the law.

So you see, there is no opinion involved…a Deacon is indeed an ordinary minister of Holy Communion.

Per message #8 it seems there is a difference of opinion on whether deacons would qualify.
Actually post #8 was referring to an “ordingary” minister…I don’t know of any Canons about that topic.😃

Not a difference of opinion, but a matter of Canon Law…here are the appropriate Canons:
Can. 900 §1. The minister who is able to confect the sacrament of the Eucharist in the person of Christ is a validly ordained priest alone.

Can. 910 §1. The ordinary minister of holy communion is a bishop, presbyter, or deacon.

§2. The extraordinary minister of holy communion is an acolyte or another member of the Christian faithful designated according to the norm of ⇒ can. 230, §3.

Can. 230 §3. When the need of the Church warrants it and ministers are lacking, lay persons, even if they are not lectors or acolytes, can also supply certain of their duties, namely, to exercise the ministry of the word, to preside offer liturgical prayers, to confer baptism, and to distribute Holy Communion, according to the prescripts of the law.

So you see, there is no opinion involved…a Deacon is indeed an ordinary minister of Holy Communion.
Thanks for the post – I was certain the term ordinary was officially used. :cool: :cool:

Typically a priest would want someone who has been with the church for sometime. If you just converted, they are unlikely to ask you to become an EMHC right away.

But I’m sure there are many other jobs they would have you fill.😉

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back