Eve, Adam & His Rib

  • Thread starter Thread starter Faith1960
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Faith1960

Guest
Are we, as Catholics, required to believe that Eve was literally created by God taking a rib from Adam while he was asleep or is that just a story?
 
I believe you may be wrong.
WHAT CATHOLICS MUST BELIEVE ABOUT CREATION
Magisterium of the Catholic Church has defined what Catholics must believe about the history of creation:
  1. The creation by God of all things at the beginning of time
  2. The special creation by God of man
  3. Formation of woman from man
  4. Unity of the human race
  5. The original happiness of our first parents in a state of justice
  6. The divine command laid upon man by God to prove obedience
  7. Transgression of that command at the instigation of the devil in the form of a serpent
  8. The fall of our original parents from their primitive state of innocence.
  9. The promise of a future redeemer
Humanae Generis, Pope Pius XII [also see: Dr. S. Hahn: Genesis 1-22: The Covenant as a Family Affair; Pope Pius X: Pascendi Dominici Gregis, Sept. 8, 1907].
Number 3 seems to contradict your answer.

Here’s the source: agapebiblestudy.com/documents/What%20Catholics%20believe%20about%20Creation.htm
 
That “source” that you link to is from who? Just some person paraphrasing the Pope’s words to suit his personal views.

Let’s look at what the actual document, Humanae Generis, says. From Wiki en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humani_generis:

"Evolution
The encyclical took up a nuanced position with regard to evolution. It distinguished between the soul, held as created divinely, and the physical body, whose development may be subject to empirical and prudent study:
…the Teaching Authority of the Church does not forbid that, in conformity with the present state of human sciences and sacred theology, research and discussions, on the part of men experienced in both fields, take place with regard to the doctrine of evolution, in as far as it inquires into the origin of the human body as coming from pre-existent and living matter—for the Catholic faith obliges us to hold that souls are immediately created by God. However this must be done in such a way that the reasons for both opinions, that is, those favorable and those unfavorable to evolution, be weighed and judged with the necessary seriousness, moderation and measure, and provided that all are prepared to submit to the judgment of the Church, to whom Christ has given the mission of interpreting authentically the Sacred Scriptures and of defending the dogmas of faithful. Some however rashly transgress this liberty of discussion, when they act as if the origin of the human body from pre-existing and living matter were already completely certain and proved by the facts which have been discovered up to now and by reasoning on those facts, and as if there were nothing in the sources of divine revelation which demands the greatest moderation and caution in this question.
The encyclical does not endorse a comprehensive belief in evolution, nor its outright rejection, because it deemed the evidence at the time not convincing. It allows for the possibility in the future:
This certainly would be praiseworthy in the case of clearly proved facts; but caution must be used when there is rather question of hypotheses, having some sort of scientific foundation, in which the doctrine contained in Sacred Scripture or in Tradition is involved.
The position delinking the creation of body and soul has been more recently confirmed by Pope John Paul II, who highlighted additional facts supporting the theory of evolution half a century later."
 
That “source” that you link to is from who? Just some person paraphrasing the Pope’s words to suit his personal views.
Yet you quote wikipedia and give undue credence to that article.

Let’s see what Humani Generis actually says about Adam:
  1. When, however, there is question of another conjectural opinion, namely polygenism, the children of the Church by no means enjoy such liberty. For the faithful cannot embrace that opinion which maintains that either after Adam there existed on this earth true men who did not take their origin through natural generation from him as from the first parent of all, or that Adam represents a certain number of first parents. Now it is in no way apparent how such an opinion can be reconciled with that which the sources of revealed truth and the documents of the Teaching Authority of the Church propose with regard to original sin, which proceeds from a sin actually committed by an individual Adam and which, through generation, is passed on to all and is in everyone as his own.[12]
So the encyclical says nothing about the rib or that part of the creation story it does say that it is incumbent upon Catholics to believe in a original set of humans - who we call Adam and Eve, and not a small population of humans or that there were others also around.

ChadS
 
While there has been no “infallible” decree it is cetainly a teaching of the Church that Eve was created immediately from Adam

On Christian Marriage Pope Leo XIII
5……We record what is to all known, and cannot be doubted by any, that God, on the sixth day of creation, having made man from the slime of the earth, and having breathed into his face the breath of life, gave him a companion, whom He miraculously took from the side of Adam when he was locked in sleep. God thus, in His most far-reaching foresight, decreed that this husband and wife should be the natural beginning of the human race, from whom it might be propagated and preserved by an unfailing fruitfulness throughout all futurity of time

Catechism 371
God created man and woman together……The woman God “fashions “from the man’s rib
 
Yet you quote wikipedia and give undue credence to that article.
I give credence to that article because it quotes directly from the encyclical. Catholic teaching, as clearly stated in the encyclical, does not require us to believe in creation nor in evolution.
Let’s see what Humani Generis actually says about Adam:

So the encyclical says nothing about the rib or that part of the creation story it does say that it is incumbent upon Catholics to believe in a original set of humans - who we call Adam and Eve, and not a small population of humans or that there were others also around.
I completely agree. We must believe that humans came from an original set of parents. But that wasn’t the OP’s question. The OP’s question is asking, in so many words, are we required to believe that our original parents resulted from creation. And the answer is no.
 
Interesting enough, one of the most fertile places for stem cells is the rib.
 
Catechism 371
God created man and woman together……The woman God “fashions “from the man’s rib
Here is #371 in its entirety:

"Each for the other" - "A unity in two"
371
God created man and woman together and willed each for the other. The Word of God gives us to understand this through various features of the sacred text. "It is not good that the man should be alone. I will make him a helper fit for him."242 None of the animals can be man’s partner.243 The woman God “fashions” from the man’s rib and brings to him elicits on the man’s part a cry of wonder, an exclamation of love and communion: "This at last is bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh."244 Man discovers woman as another “I”, sharing the same humanity.

242 Gen 2:18.
243 Gen 2:19-20.
244 Gen 2:23.

Note that this section is quoting from Genesis. It is not making a statement on creation vs evolution; it is saying that man and woman share the same humanity.
 
While there has been no “infallible” decree it is cetainly a teaching of the Church that Eve was created immediately from Adam

On Christian Marriage Pope Leo XIII
5……We record what is to all known, and cannot be doubted by any, that God, on the sixth day of creation, having made man from the slime of the earth, and having breathed into his face the breath of life, gave him a companion, whom He miraculously took from the side of Adam when he was locked in sleep. God thus, in His most far-reaching foresight, decreed that this husband and wife should be the natural beginning of the human race, from whom it might be propagated and preserved by an unfailing fruitfulness throughout all futurity of time

Catechism 371
God created man and woman together……The woman God “fashions “from the man’s rib
This what Catholics should believe. God, being God, can do this. Just as Jesus raised the dead or gave sight to the blind and calmed the wind and storm with His words.

Peace,
Ed
 
I give credence to that article because it quotes directly from the encyclical. Catholic teaching, as clearly stated in the encyclical, does not require us to believe in creation nor in evolution.

I completely agree. We must believe that humans came from an original set of parents. But that wasn’t the OP’s question. The OP’s question is asking, in so many words, are we required to believe that our original parents resulted from creation. And the answer is no.
Let me be clear, I’m not trying to start up a thread on evolution or creationism since it’s banned in this forum. I just want to know, specifically, if we’re required to believe in
Eve being crerated from Adams rib. Because I don’t.
 
**DID WOMAN EVOLVE FROM THE BEASTS?
A DEFENCE OF TRADITIONAL CATHOLIC DOCTRINE - PART I **


The purpose of this essay is to defend a doctrinal thesis which is quite simple, very clear, very classical, but now very unpopular — not to say outrightly scorned and derided. I will argue that the formation by God of the first woman, Eve, from the side of the sleeping, adult Adam had, by the year 1880, been proposed infallibly by the universal and ordinary magisterium of the Catholic Church as literally and historically true; so that this must forever remain a doctrine to be held definitively (at least) by all the faithful. I would express the thesis in Latin as follows:
Definitive tenendum est mulierem primam vere et historice formatam esse a Deo e latere primi viri dormientis.

**DID WOMAN EVOLVE FROM THE BEASTS?
A DEFENCE OF TRADITIONAL CATHOLIC DOCTRINE - PART II **
 
**DID WOMAN EVOLVE FROM THE BEASTS?
A DEFENCE OF TRADITIONAL CATHOLIC DOCTRINE - PART I **


The purpose of this essay is to defend a doctrinal thesis which is quite simple, very clear, very classical, but now very unpopular — not to say outrightly scorned and derided. I will argue that the formation by God of the first woman, Eve, from the side of the sleeping, adult Adam had, by the year 1880, been proposed infallibly by the universal and ordinary magisterium of the Catholic Church as literally and historically true; so that this must forever remain a doctrine to be held definitively (at least) by all the faithful. I would express the thesis in Latin as follows:
Definitive tenendum est mulierem primam vere et historice formatam esse a Deo e latere primi viri dormientis.

**DID WOMAN EVOLVE FROM THE BEASTS?
A DEFENCE OF TRADITIONAL CATHOLIC DOCTRINE - PART II **
Then maybe I should search for another religion??? :o
 
No - you should learn the truth.
What if I don’t believe what you or the essay says is the truth? If I don’t believe it, I don’t believe it. I may come to believe it in time, but if I don’t – then what?
 
I’ve sent a couple emails to my pastor about the things I’m reading on here to see what he has to say.
Let me know what he says.

Let him look over the IDvolution site to see what modern science is showing about man’s origins. (He may have to be brought up to date.)

Just a question though - why is it so hard to believe?
 
What if I don’t believe what you or the essay says is the truth? If I don’t believe it, I don’t believe it. I may come to believe it in time, but if I don’t – then what?
The essays are rich with Church references and show the constant understanding and teaching of the Church. In any case, the truth will prevail. Revelation is not provisional. Science is provisional and the last ten years revelation’s have been astounding.
 
Let me know what he says.

Let him look over the IDvolution site to see what modern science is showing about man’s origins. (He may have to be brought up to date.)

Just a question though - why is it so hard to believe?
I doubt I’ll relate what he says because I’m sure someone here will just find some reason to argue it.
It’s hard to believe because I just don’t. It makes no sense to me whatsoever.
 
I doubt I’ll relate what he says because I’m sure someone here will just find some reason to argue it.
It’s hard to believe because I just don’t. It makes no sense to me whatsoever.
Why does it not make sense? Perhaps I can help.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top