G
grannymh
Guest
Because I can openly state my opinions regarding natural science.Why is that?
Because I can openly state my opinions regarding natural science.Why is that?
Iâm am over on the back fence discussing this issue which I believe is extremely important.=grannymh;7654437] You are so right about Pope Pius XII warning Catholics. Maybe he was also warning scientists to conduct their research properly. Did you catch all the provisions for even discussing the scientific topics? Can you tell that I am really impressed with this Pope?
Heâs not saying we canât either.Iâm am over on the back fence discussing this issue which I believe is extremely important.
Of course the Pope is warning scientists AND Catholics to do their research properly but nowhere does he say Catholics can believe that man evolved from lower life forms. He is simply allowing the discussion and research to take place.
I believe he is. Just because no infallible decree has been made doesnât mean Catholics can go against what has always been taught by the Church Fathers who are the guardians of Sacred Tradition.Heâs not saying we canât either.![]()
The ECFâs thought the sun revolved around the Earth too, but weâve learned a lot since then.I believe he is. Just because no infallible decree has been made doesnât mean Catholics can go against what has always been taught by the Church Fathers who are the guardians of Sacred Tradition.
Guess what. I agree with the Fathers. Heliocentrism has never been proven even though scientists have tried. Einsteinâs theory of relativity was created because of the inability of any experiment to prove the earth moves.The ECFâs thought the sun revolved around the Earth too, but weâve learned a lot since then.
Guess what. I agree with the Fathers. Heliocentrism has never been proven even though scientists have tried. Einsteinâs theory of relativity was created because of the inability of any experiment to prove the earth moves.
Please go read about Geocentrism from John Salzaâs Scripture Catholic website.
scripturecatholic.com/geocentrism.html
The Truth will set you free!Okay, nevermind
![]()
I feel your pain Faith 1960.Okay, nevermind
![]()
Missed it. Could you recap for me?The Truth will set you free!
If anyone wishes to discuss geocentrism, there is a good debate over in the Philosophy Forum. Start with the last posts until you find the beginning of the discussion.Guess what. I agree with the Fathers. Heliocentrism has never been proven even though scientists have tried. Einsteinâs theory of relativity was created because of the inability of any experiment to prove the earth moves.
Please go read about Geocentrism from John Salzaâs Scripture Catholic website.
scripturecatholic.com/geocentrism.html
Perhaps the account should have read.The discussion seems to require a literal reading of Sacred Scripture. I do not believe that is necessary for the Creation account of the Universe or the Creation of Human Beings. The point of woman being taken from man (i.e., his rib) is to underscore their relationality and connectedness. Note the discussion in 1 Corinthians 11.![]()
No, what the account states is that the creator thought animals would be good company for Adam. Never occured to the great creator that this would be a huge fail.Perhaps the account should have read.
I fashioned the man, then I fashioned woman. I made them complementary.
And Adam upon gazing at Eve - at last, a female for me, not of my bones.
But⌠It doesnâtâŚ
Actually, the account has nothing to do with failure. What it clearly states is that Adam with his amazing human nature had the right and the position of authority to name the animals which did not have a human nature. Adamâs actions in naming animals according to their animal nature were successful. It clearly states that breeding a man with animals would not be possible because animals did not have a suitable human nature for a procreative partnership.No, what the account states is that the creator thought animals would be good company for Adam. Never occured to the great creator that this would be a huge fail.
Then the creator noted it was not good. For man. To be. Alone.
Afterthought.
HmmmâŚThe ECFâs thought the sun revolved around the Earth too, but weâve learned a lot since then.
While Adam was asleep, is equivalent to âdeadâ. When Jesus dies on the cross, his side is opened â and this is considered the birth of the Church as his bride. The same logic in two apparently different contexts.Are we, as Catholics, required to believe that Eve was literally created by God taking a rib from Adam while he was asleep or is that just a story?
Edit for purposes of charityHmmmâŚ
I often hear that people then (ECFâs included) thought the earth was âFlatâ; Do you believe they thought that?
I mean, they saw the mountains â they knew it wasnât âFLATâ flat. So what did they think?
St. Augustine talks about the âAnti-podesâ, that is the feet pointed the opposite way on the other side of the Earth. He was debating whether or not there really were people on the other side, and does not say âThe earth is FLAT, there is no other side.â. Nor does he say âthey would FALL OFF!â as a âproofâ. He calls them the feet pointing the other way, showing he understood that they would stick to the ground just as we do â but upside down. In the end, he canât really decide if these people exist or not â but he doesnât see any reason to believe they must. His approach is much the same as a prudent pope thinking about polygenism.
Just so, what does it mean that the earth is the center of the universe? (or solar system â or whatever). (Helio-centric is Sun-centered, but weâre not really sun-centered either.)
What does it mean that early people would think the sun went around the earth? Tell me, do you ever look at the sun going down over the ocean â and say âThat was a beautiful Earth rotationâ. What have we âreallyâ learned?
I think weâre in a popularity contest of âWeâre smarter than those dumb ancients because weâre told cool things by physicists.â ** BUT Just because someone else might be smarter today â doesnât mean everyone is!**
I think the ârealâ argument is over whoâs argument is more âaestheticâ. Who can say the most correct thing by âobservationâ with the least amount of complexity; Occamâs razor as it is often called. It isnât about who is ârightâ but who has to do the Least Work in defending their position.