Evolution and Creationism

• Thread starter Thread starter DictatorCzar
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gradually the end of the tail widened to make a more efficient fin for swimming as they spent more time in the water.
What was wrong with the old tail, it worked for a couple million years.

Last edited:
What we see first is the change in structure and function and so far the explanation of these changes is missing.
The changes are random mutations. Where the changes are beneficial then those changes will spread in the population. This is evolution 101. If you are going to criticise something then at least know what it is you are criticising.
A protein can play a catalytic part in a plant processes as well as animal process if the process is shared or identical.
True, but there will mostly be shared processes within the cell, not in the larger body of the organism.
‘Killed by glyphosate’ or ‘survives glyphosate’ are not a functions but outcomes.
It is the outcomes that drive natural selection, and hence the outcomes drive evolution. Whether a mutation is beneficial or deleterious depends on the outcome from having that mutation.
How? I have seen pictures and even living organisms but the conclusion is only an imagination.
Open your eyes and look around you. Is every human the same height? Does every human have equally long legs? Does every human have equally long arms? There is variation in all natural populations. Where this variation is heritable then evolution can work on it. Again, you need to learn more about what you are attempting to criticise. By not knowing, your criticisms are missing your intended target.

What was wrong with the old tail, it worked for a couple million years.
It worked on land initially and later in shallow coastal waters. In the different, deep sea, environment then a tail with a fluke was better. In a different a different shaped tail gave an advantage. Beavers are another example of a tail’s shape changing in an aquatic environment.

Macroevolution stands as a scientific theory until someone comes up with something better to replace it.
Yes, the cult of evolutionary scientists determine their own labels. The “someone” who comes up with something better must be one of their own. The cult, insuring that their own drink the doctored Kool-Aid of macroevolution and ostracize those who don’t, controls that field (for now).

Skeptics can only point out the incoherence in evolutionary science’s own methods of qualifying that which is speculation, hypothesis, theory or fact.
In any case, abiogenesis covers the time before life started. Evolution covers the time after life started. The two abut but do not overlap.
Abiogenesis and macroevolution overlap. Both attempt to provide explanations for things never observed; in the former, life from non-life, and the latter, a diversity in living beings that cannot be explained by adaptation (microevolution).

Let’s move to a different requirement that validates a scientific hypothesis – control. The benefits to mankind in understanding microevolution are manifest. No argument there, only caution recommended.

What benefits to mankind has the research in macroevolution provided or is envisioned to provide? In other words, what harm would be done if we stopped funding research in projects aimed at expanding, for instance the tree of life project? What is the benefit to mankind if we discover the math that underlies a speciation (? still needs definition) event? How will we be able to control nature to our benefit?

And there is only one advocate of macroevolution that argues the claim and that one is not you. Still waiting for Fred’s argument that macro is a valid scientific hypothesis.
You may wind up waiting until Doomsday…

For, that macro- has never been evidenced nor can it be replicated for it can not be…

Last edited:
How will we be able to control nature to our benefit?
Maybe you haven’t checked the news for a few days. Nearly 2 1/2 million people have come down with a virus. It’s killed over 160,000 so far. Luckily for you and your loved ones, what we know about evolution and how viruses evolve will help us ‘control nature’ to design a vaccine that will protect us for a while and keep the death rate down. Sooner rather than later I hope.

Yes, the cult of evolutionary scientists determine their own labels.
Again you are implying that religion “cult” is inferior to science.

You are wrong. It is not evolutionary biologists that determine the rules of science, it is all scientists. Physicists, astronomers, chemists, biologists etc. I have given the example of the changing theories of gravity. That example was nothing to do with evolution.
Abiogenesis and macroevolution overlap.
Thank you for yet again confirming that your sources are sadly lacking in relevant knowledge. I suspect that they are a good example of the Dunning Kruger effect.

Abiogenesis happens before life starts. Macroevolution happens after life starts. They do not overlap.

Newton was wrong about the orbit of Mercury.
Dead wrong is dead wrong.

Natural selection was thought to be creative, but that was dead wrong. Since it is a conservative process and you continually claim it is essential, macro then is dead wrong along with it. The entire foundation was built on sand.

Natural selection was thought to be creative, but that was dead wrong.
Natural selection was never thought to be creative. Natural selection reduces the number of variants in a population, weeding out deleterious variants.

The creative part of evolution is random mutation, which introduces those variants: beneficial, neutral and deleterious. Evolution is more than just natural selection.

Evolution overall is a creative process, introducing new beneficial and neutral variants into a population’s genome over time. You are not arguing against evolution here, but against a caricature of it.

Open your eyes and look around you. Is every human the same height? Does every human have equally long legs? Does every human have equally long arms? There is variation in all natural populations.
I don’t see any evolution here i’m sorry.
The changes are random mutations. Where the changes are beneficial then those changes will spread in the population.
How?

What is beneficial to a fin that paddles, a limb that walks?!

I don’t see any evolution here i’m sorry.
Then Charles Darwin saw more than you. Variation exists in populations, from human populations to barnacle populations. Some variations are not beneficial, haemophilia in humans for example. Most variations are neutral: blue eyes or brown eyes. A few variations are beneficial. That is the start of evolution. If you don’t know what evolution is then you are not in a good position to criticise it.
What is beneficial to a fin that paddles, a limb that walks?!
Cut off your legs and you will soon find out what the benefits of having limbs that walk are. Did you really have to ask me that? Could you not have worked it out for yourself?

Then Charles Darwin saw more than you. Variation exists in populations, from human populations to barnacle populations. Some variations are not beneficial, haemophilia in humans for example. Most variations are neutral: blue eyes or brown eyes. A few variations are beneficial. That is the start of evolution. If you don’t know what evolution is then you are not in a good position to criticise it.
Gene dominance, co-dominance, recessiveness explains the variations.
Darwin knew nothing about hereditary science when he came up with these speculations.
Cut off your legs and you will soon find out what the benefits of having limbs that walk are. Did you really have to ask me that? Could you not have worked it out for yourself?
I meant a fin is a fin when it functions as a fin, there’s no improvement to that function, if anything, there can only be a reduction to the function.

Last edited:
The entire foundation was built on sand.
With an explicit admission that in that sand the transitional fossils would be found. Unfortunately, after 130 years, the evidence just isn’t there.

The macroevolution crowd’s chant has changed for the old negative “god of the gaps” to let’s hear it for the “fossils of the gaps”. Maybe that’s progress: they have added hope to their faith based initiative and still wish to call it science. Doesn’t seem like they discovered charity yet.

I meant a fin is a fin when it functions as a fin, there’s no improvement to that function, if anything, there can only be a reduction to the function.
The lobe allows the animal to maneuver in shallower waters yet still swim…as the lobe portion grows , it allows further maneuvering into more shallow water…to puddles…to mud…each allowing the animal to utilize resources it’s ancestors couldn’t. It allowed it to out reproduce it’s less lobed brothers…which led to more progeny with the heavier lobes…which led to a loss of the fin portions…no longer needed in its newer ponds and puddles…which lead to eventual limbs that allowed it to leave even the mud puddles and explore a vast new environment with vast new resources it could utilize. I’m still baffles at how someone doesn’t understand how this happens! The lack of understanding seems to be more obstinance than inability.

Last edited:
The lobe allows the animal to maneuver in shallower waters yet still swim…as the lobe portion grows , it allows further maneuvering into more shallow water…to puddles…to mud…each allowing the animal to utilize resources it’s ancestors couldn’t. It allowed it to out reproduce it’s less lobed brothers…which led to more progeny with the heavier lobes…which led to a loss of the fin portions…no longer needed in its newer ponds and puddles…which lead to eventual limbs that allowed it to leave even the mud puddles and explore a vast new environment with vast new resources it could utilize. I’m still baffles at how someone doesn’t understand how this happens! The lack of understanding seems to be more obstinance than inability.
I’m sorry this is an impossibility. Even though it is only a story, gradually loosing one function to gain another makes the organism less likely to survive especially that moment when it is not having a fully functional fin and a fully functional limb.

Gene dominance, co-dominance, recessiveness explains the variations.
Darwin knew nothing about hereditary science when he came up with these speculations.
Darwin observed variation. He was correct, there is variation in populations. since Darwin’s time we have learned a lot more about how that variation arises, including the processes you mention as well as mutations.
For a mudskipper, improving the way its fins work on land is an advantage. For a flying fish, improving the way its fins work in the air is an advantage. Our distant ancestors, such as Tiktaalik, were more like mudskippers – fish that made excursions onto land. For that purpose, dual function limbs were useful. Frogs still have dual-function limbs, able to move both on land and in the water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back