Ex-jail employees charged for playing ‘Baby Shark’ on repeat for hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Motherwit

Two former Oklahoma jail employees and their supervisor face misdemeanor cruelty charges after investigators found they forced inmates to stand handcuffed for hours and listen to the children’s song “Baby Shark” on repeat, a prosecutor said Monday.

At least four inmates were secured to a wall with their hands cuffed behind them while the song played on a loop at a loud volume for hours, The Oklahoman reported. The separate incidents occurred in November and December, according to court records.

The misdemeanor charges were filed Monday against former Oklahoma County jail employees Gregory Cornell Butler Jr. and Christian Charles Miles, both 21, and their supervisor, Christopher Raymond Hendershott, 50.

“It was unfortunate that I could not find a felony statute to fit this fact scenario,” Oklahoma County District Attorney David Prater said. “I would have preferred filing a felony on this behavior.”

I remember about 25 years ago one of my then toddlers would put the ‘The Wombling Song’ on repeat everyday and it was definitely a form of torture in the end. 😆

Cruel and unusual punishment was the first thing that came to my mind also and I’m Canadian but even i know that’s in their constitution. I heard they were forced to stand the whole time and were handcuffed to a wall. Sounds like torture to me.

“It was unfortunate that I could not find a felony statute to fit this fact scenario,” Oklahoma County District Attorney David Prater said. “I would have preferred filing a felony on this behavior.”
Yes it’s the kind of sick thing you’d expect in communist or Islamist regimes.

In case anyone has morbid curiousity here is the song in question:

It’s a bop! 😂

Or if you want to simulate the ordeal, find some handcuffs and cue up the ten-hour video version:

Still a better jam than “Together Forever” by Rick Astley.

Change my mind

“Baby Shark Dee Dee de-de de-de”
Is nearly Shakespeare level writing

Ya know… my Sergeant did the exact same thing to us new guys with the “Narwhals” song.

It was awful, but priceless. Ill certainly never forget and it puts a smile on my face because of how ridiculous it was. XD

This isn’t worth a felony. Come on grow up District Attorney. Its just bad behavior that should have been punished and corrected.

My word… people thinking being forced to listen to a song is a felony like dealing drugs or stabbing somebody. Unreal.

Last edited:
The US is a mere amateur in terms of torture.

Historically speaking, China has been quite inventive when it comes to torture.

Think death by a thousand cuts.

Last edited:
I wasn’t able to leave either with my hands zip tied. One could just as well ask, “What kind of time do soldiers, paid by tax payers, have on their hands for such stupidity.”

The answer is… it just happens XD people are childish.

Last edited:
I’m sure someone would have gotten medical advice for the prisoner too.

These guys are inmates in a jail. They volunteered to be there by breaking the law. So, much worse. And people are upset because some jailers chained them to a wall?

Proper behavior? No.
Punishable behavior? Yes.
Felony behavior? Absolutely not. Misdemeanor at worst.

Im not part of this new world where we treat prisoners as if they are good law abiding citizens. I mean, God Almighty will punish the unbelieving for ETERNITY in the fires of Hell. Im not interested in crying out because of something so mundane as this… So that’s where Ill leave it.

Grace and Peace to you. I understand where you’re coming from. I do. I’m not saying you’re wrong. Just that I don’t think its a felony charge.

Last edited:
New soldiers, law abiding volunteer citizens, go through worse on the daily. A lot worse. Ahh good times. And No. We dont volunteer for the humiliation.

So… I really don’t care about this. 😛

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back