Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion

  • Thread starter Thread starter thistle
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t know how old this document is but EMHCs are not allowed to purify the vessels. the only ones who may do that are priests, deacons and instituted acolytes.
 
It’s not from the Vatican but is generally a very good list of guidelines and explanations. As Phemie pointed out the EMOHC may **not **purify the vessels.
 
Or to be specific, the only EMHC who is allowed to purifiy the Sacred Vessels is one who had been instituted as a Acolyte.

An Acolyte is still an EMHC. Heck even the Sub Deacon at our parish is an EMHC
 
I would never go against the instructions of the Church.

However, since my eyes are not very good, I would wish I could have a sharp-eyed EMHC do the ablutions, if such were possible and there were no Deacon or Subdeacon.
 
The document, while well-written, is outdated. There are references in page 7 that need to be corrected, although, due to the moratorium, I cannot mention them. Furthermore, this document was done prior to the installation of the new Cardinal Archbishop of Housdon-Galveston. Hopefully, these corrections were made.
 
I don’t know how old this document is but EMHCs are not allowed to purify the vessels. the only ones who may do that are priests, deacons and instituted acolytes.
What happens if your priest hands you the vessels to purify? Do you not purify them and just leave them there?
 
What happens if your priest hands you the vessels to purify? Do you not purify them and just leave them there?
You tell him, respectfully, that you cannot do this, explaining that the Holy Father allowed the indult to expire. Unfortunately, as I see it, the priest cannot overrule what Rome has already said. That is beyond his purview and exceeds his authority.
 
You tell him, respectfully, that you cannot do this, explaining that the Holy Father allowed the indult to expire. Unfortunately, as I see it, the priest cannot overrule what Rome has already said. That is beyond his purview and exceeds his authority.
He says that he found a “loop-hole” in Canon Law where the “needs of the parish” required it. He quoted the exact section but I forgot which one it was and he says that “the needs of the parish” are for him to be out there greeting the people as they enter and leave the church. And he will not purify them but continues to give the vessels to the EMHC to purify.

What then?
 
Bad argument since he could purify the vessels immediately after Communion, while the parishioners observe a period of silence.
 
I agree but this is what he does and hands them to the EMHC after communion.
 
I agree but this is what he does and hands them to the EMHC after communion.
He needs to be reading Redemptionis Sacramentum. Evidently, the Holy Father did not consider too much of the loophole because, with his rescinding of the indult, that effectively shut it down.
 
But that is what he is saying, that Canon Law over-rides this suspension of the indult and he found a loop-hole in Canon Law that allows him to continue to have it done this way.
 
But that is what he is saying, that Canon Law over-rides this suspension of the indult and he found a loop-hole in Canon Law that allows him to continue to have it done this way.
No. Evidently, he needs to read Redemptionis Sacramentum because what he is doing is perpetuating an abuse. If I were in your shoes, I would refuse. There is no such loophole. It is just a matter, as I see it, of trying to get away from fulfilling one’s duty.
 
He says that he found a “loop-hole” in Canon Law where the “needs of the parish” required it. He quoted the exact section but I forgot which one it was and he says that “the needs of the parish” are for him to be out there greeting the people as they enter and leave the church. And he will not purify them but continues to give the vessels to the EMHC to purify.

What then?
Our pastor purifyies his chalice at the altar after Communion. The rest of the sacred vessels are taken by the altar servers from the altar after Communion and placed on the side table to be purified by Father after Mass. He used to purify all of these vessels on the altar after Communion, but he said it was taking too much time so he decided to do the rest of the sacred vessels after Mass.

In your case, if I were in the EMHC’s shoes, knowing what I know, I would leave it on the table with the purifyier over the cup. The sacristan should remind Father to purify the vessels after Mass.
 
Well, that it would only work if there was a sufficient gap between Masses, or if the Parish possesses a duplicate set to set out.

In our parish, there’s quite a rush to get the next Mass set up as there’s not much time between them.

Certainly not enough time for the priest to come in from chatting to people outside and start on purifying them.
 
If I were in your shoes, I would refuse.
In your case, if I were in the EMHC’s shoes, knowing what I know, I would leave it on the table with the purifyier over the cup. The sacristan should remind Father to purify the vessels after Mass.
I stopped being an EMHC.
There is no such loophole.
If I could remember the exact Canon that he quoted, it sounded like there was. Unfortunately, I don’t recall it but it had something to do with the needs of the faithful supercede … etc.
 
Our sacristans “purify” the vessels after mass.

Doesn’t matter what document says what, our priest “ain’t doing the dishes” along with other priests in our diocese.

🤷

Doesn’t matter what anybody writes or says, Rome or otherwise, it just isn’t going to happen that our priest and some other priests are going to purify the vessels themselves.

And it doesn’t matter if I or anyone else quit being an EMHC or Sacristan, he still wouldn’t do it. Right or wrong, that’s the way it is at our parish and at other parishes.
 
Our sacristans “purify” the vessels after mass.

Doesn’t matter what document says what, our priest “ain’t doing the dishes” along with other priests in our diocese.

🤷

Doesn’t matter what anybody writes or says, Rome or otherwise, it just isn’t going to happen that our priest and some other priests are going to purify the vessels themselves.

And it doesn’t matter if I or anyone else quit being an EMHC or Sacristan, he still wouldn’t do it. Right or wrong, that’s the way it is at our parish and at other parishes.
That is sad. If I were the sacristan in that situation, I would leave the vessels for the priest to purify after Mass, I would remind him that they need to be purified. And if he was still obstinate in not doing it, I would ask the deacon, if there was one present, if not I would wait until the priest left, and then, I would purify the sacred vessels before “doing the dishes” that is, washing them in soapy water. It has to be done. And if you do all that you can do with no results, then you do what must be done out of respect for the Blessed Sacrament.

PS I might add that there were a few times when I was sacristan in which we had a visiting priest celebrating Mass and I had to ask them to purify the vessels after Mass. Most comply without hesitation but at least two gave me a little lip about it, however, since this is the way that we do things at our parish, even they were willing to comply. The situation may be different with regard to a pastor who is unwilling to co-operate.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top