Extraordinary Ministers - would you resign?

• Thread starter Thread starter baltobetsy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d like to see a suvey on how many EMs believe in the Real Presence.

I remember once hearing about a EM in New York who taught in CCD that confession isn’t necessary any more and another EM who gave out “communion” at his cousin’s wedding in a Lutheran church.

We have 6000 in my parish. We have 2 priests and 2 deacons. We need EMHCs. For daily Mass (about 100 folks attending), it’s just the priest and two EMHCs distributing the Precious Blood. I think that’s appropriate.

God bless,

Dave

I believe in the real presence of Chirst in the Eucharist. It’s an essential doctrine of the Catholic faith. If you are Catholic and do not believe in the real presence of Christ in the Eucharist, you need to pray for faith or find another religion.

God bless,

Dave

Like many of the responders, I resigned. I resigned following private discussions with our DRE and our pastor regarding variations from the GIRM on the use of EME’s. In the same way as another, I wrote a detailed letter with much research from original documents regarding Extraordinary ministers only to read it and read it again and never send it. I am in the constant process of praying for obedience to the teachings of the One Holy Catholic Church. I am a convert from 1973 and love the Catholic Church and the teaching foundation of Jesus Christ and our Pope on which she stands. I accepted the role of EME when I was asked in 1996, but resigned in 2003 when I could not longer be a part of supporting the obuses that were quite clear prior to the latest clarification from Rome, Redemptionis Sacramentum. Now there can be no questions regarding the proper administration of distribution of Holy Communion with EME’s. While many of the variations have now stopped (we are moving towards obedience) several continue. I believe that the remaining EME’s will conform to the rules that they are given, they only need to hear the truth.
*My family and I continue to kneel at the consecration with a few others that understand and follow the GIRM. We will continue to receive Holy Communion from EME’s because the variations of the rules do not invalidate the sacrament. We all need to keep praying for the One Holy Catholic Church and the priests. We all need to pray for the virtue of patience. These obuses took years to develop and I suppose that years will be required to return to conformance to the rubrics.

praying for patience,

Jim

My source in Rome tells me that we can expect even more clarification on this issue. Apparently the real crackdown will come when the Vatican insists that “AT NO TIME, can the number of Eucharistic Minister exceed the number of communicants”

I will be eagerly awaiting that mandate

40.png
Crusader:
Now I know it’s because they would love to further blur the differences between a ordinary Minister of the eucharist and a extraordinary minister of Holy Communion
That is a pretty powerful statement. Could I ask how you KNOW this? I would suggest that most people are not being malicious or intending harm. More likely they are trying to be helpful.

John

I would have to agree that there have been many abuses to the useage of Extrodinary Ministers of the Eucharist. This is why we have the changes recently in The General Instruction on the Roman Missal. The changes of course are only as good as those willing to be faithful to them.
http://www.usccb.org/liturgy/current/revmissalisromanien.htm

The reason for these abuses lies not so much on the Extrodinary Minister but on the Priest or Deacon who allows and promotes the abuses.

Last year our Archdiocese had training for all clergy pretaining to the changes in The General Instruction on the Roman Missal. After a year the new guidelines have been in place we still have many Parishes who have not implemented the changes. Thank the Lord that my pastor is faithful to his Vow of Obedience.

:blessyou:

40.png
yochumjy:
That is a pretty powerful statement. Could I ask how you KNOW this? I would suggest that most people are not being malicious or intending harm. More likely they are trying to be helpful.

John
All you need to do is pick up a copy of “Eucharistic Minister Magazine” and read the editorials. For the last few years they’ve been screaming about the threat posed by permanent deacons and increased vocations that could usurp their roles in the parish.

Are there any guidelines for exactly what the ratio of EMHC’s to communicants should be? :confused:

Maybe they wouldn’t feel the need for EMs if people examined the state of their souls. Those lines for confession seem really short.

Unfortunately the camel’s nose got under the tent re EMs through ambiguous language like “undue burden” and “overly long”

You may not agree with everything he says, but I can’t find much fault with John Vennari’s tape “The Truth About Communion in the Hand” He also discusses the EM situation and how it started. Very instructive.

40.png
PASCENDI:
My source in Rome tells me that we can expect even more clarification on this issue. Apparently the real crackdown will come when the Vatican insists that “AT NO TIME, can the number of Eucharistic Minister exceed the number of communicants”

I will be eagerly awaiting that mandate
We’re all so serious here that nobody got your joke. It was a joke, wasn’t it??

Seriously, do you have a source in Rome telling you actual good news?

Betsy

40.png
baltobetsy:
We’re all so serious here that nobody got your joke. It was a joke, wasn’t it??

Seriously, do you have a source in Rome telling you actual good news?

Betsy
Yes it was a joke.

Yes, I have a source in Rome telling me good news. It just wasn’t accurate. E.G. : Altar Girls will be formally prohibited.

You know the original canonical document that people think allowed altar girls was quite restrictive. I can’t explain why they ever permitted them but it amounted to an INDULT and it was a lot stricter than the indult that was supposed to guarantee a “wide and generous” use of the TLM.

Lay faithful, men and women, can fulfill certain liturgical functions (c. 230.2)

The doubt: Can service at the altar also be counted among the liturgical functions that the lay faithful, either men or women, can fulfill according to c. 230.2?

The response: Affirmative, in accord with the instruction to be given by the Apostolic See.

July 11, 1992
AAS 86 (1994) 541-542. Communicationes 26 (1994) 159-160. Origins 23 (1994) 777-779.

This is an authentic interpretation of universal canon law, not an indult. Also notice that it doesn’t say that men must be preferred to women.

You have really strained to make the case for altar girls, but the truth is, the latest document on the liturgy says it is laudable to have boys to serve at the altar, and yes, an indult is required to be enacted by a bishop to allow altar girls(same goes for an indult needs to be enacted to allow communion in the hand as well). I suiggest you look up “instruction from the holy see”

40.png
JNB:
You have really strained to make the case for altar girls, but the truth is, the latest document on the liturgy says it is laudable to have boys to serve at the altar, and yes, an indult is required to be enacted by a bishop to allow altar girls(same goes for an indult needs to be enacted to allow communion in the hand as well). I suiggest you look up “instruction from the holy see”
I do think there is a strong case for altar girls, but that doesn’t matter. The Holy See thinks there is a strong case for altar girls, and thus has permitted each bishop to decide for his own diocese, just like each bishop can decide on the age for confirmation. Unless you start playing Humpty Dumpty and redefine the word “indult” to mean something completely different, it is not an indult. If anything, the indult is to allow priest to disobey their bishops instructions as regards female altar servers.

If you can quote a Vatican document that states that allowing female altar servers is an indult, then go ahead.

40.png
PASCENDI:
That’s a traditionalist web site, not a Vatican document. The Canon Law Society of America’s New Commentary on the Code of Canon Law states that the 1992 ruling on female altar servers is a merely declarative, and therefore retroactive, authentic interpretation. This is about as far from an indult as you can get:
Canon 16 §1 Laws are authentically interpreted by the legislator and by that person to whom the legislator entrusts the power of authentic interpretation.
§2 An authentic interpretation which is presented by way of a law has the same force as the law itself, and must be promulgated. If it simply declares the sense of words which are certain in themselves, it has retroactive force. If it restricts or extends the law or resolves a doubt, it is not retroactive.
§3 On the other hand, an interpretation by way of a court judgement or of an administrative act in a particular case, does not have the force of law. It binds only those persons and affects only those matters for which it was given.
Calling something an indult doesn’t make it one.

I’m an EM during our church’s TLM, we have 3 priests that hand out Holy Communion, but I take Holy Communion to the adult or children’s choirs in the choir loft; the choir loft is in the back of the church and up a set of very steep set of stairs and many of the choir members are elderly and would have a very difficult time going up and down the stairs to receive Communion; So I provide the choirs with Holy Communion. I take this ‘job’ very seriously and with great reverence.

For up to 500 communicants, 2 priests can distribute communion in the TLM in a 10-15 minuite period or so, and the rail is just as fast as standing. ST TLM, just wondering, is there a good turn out for the Indult in St Louis?

40.png
JNB:
For up to 500 communicants, 2 priests can distribute communion in the TLM in a 10-15 minuite period or so, and the rail is just as fast as standing. ST TLM, just wondering, is there a good turn out for the Indult in St Louis?
I’d want to see lots of confessionals and generous hours before I see 500 communicants.
Oh wait, the TLM can’t hold a candle to the Nervous disOrdo when it comes to efficiency. With that many people (or significantly less) they’d have general absolution!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back