Face to face confession--my experience today

  • Thread starter Thread starter whatevergirl
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

whatevergirl

Guest
*I haven’t confessed face to face in a few years, not since we lived in PA. Today, there were two lines for confession, one was for face to face. I opted for that, and I can’t express in mere words how beautiful it was. The priest held my hand, and as he absolved me, placed his hand on my forehead. It was so personal, so special…I think I might opt for this from now on. He prayed with me, with our heads bowed after giving me my penance, while he held both of my hands. Have any of you ever experienced such a close and personal confession as this?

Absolutely wonderful experience. Just wanted to share with you all, and wondering if you like face to face confessions, too?*
 
Wow, that must have been a wonderful experience.

I did a face to face confession about 3 months ago. It was horribly uncomfortable and I hated it. Part of it was being face to face, and part of it was the priest (last time going to him!). Back to the box for me!

Until the beginning of this past summer, I had a confessor who was just that wonderful, though. He was very intense and said beautiful things that often brought tears to my eyes. It was a temptation to focus on the confession itself and how wonderful it was rather than on being reconciled with God, at least for me. That priest is gone now, and my new confessor is totally different, but just as good. He’s a practical problem-solver, and he makes me laugh, and he uses sports analogies. I appreciate him very much, but I don’t think I’ll be as attached to him as I was to the other, and that’s a good thing.

Betsy
 
I have done it two times now. It is kinda scary at first but is a real good feeling after. I have no problem confessing my sins to a priest now. It takes a good amount of guts for the uninitiated.
 
My confessor is good, but not as the original post described. Since we now meet in private outside of normal Saturday confession time, we have more time to talk (I do spiritual direction during confession time… usually the first Sunday he is at my parish … he alternates weekends between my parish and a neighboring parish).

My former spiritual director/confessor at one time (can’t remember if it was during confession or during spritual direction) laid his hand on my head and prayed for me
 
I’ve gone face to face and don’t like it. In my cases the priest tries to be my buddy and tell me that I’m OK. That’s only natural, but not what I want from Confession.
 
I always go face-to-face.

Part of that is the desire to be known by the priests as someone who goes to confession (should I confess that?:rolleyes:)

Mostly, it’s because you are talking about something extremely personal, and getting a “personal” experience is much better. Plus, if you don’t have a spiritual adviser, at least the priests will be able to provide a little continuity to your spiritual life if they recognize you.

Glad you had a good experience!
 
*@ betsy-- yes, I have had experiences of face to face confessions in PA, that were not so great. Not horrible, but just not like today. I couldn’t believe it when he took my hand, and prayed with me like that. I looked at his face while I was confessing, then I’d look away…for a moment, I felt like I was with Jesus. This priest’s eyes literally twinkled. I know what I saw, and it was really something. I know that priests are in the persona of Christ in the confessional, but…it really felt like Jesus was there. Like we were the only two in the entire church. It was very moving, I won’t forget it ever.

@ peetey–it’s funny you say that…while I was on line, a woman in front of me said that she was very nervous. She looked like she was maybe 60. She said to me, ‘‘it’s been many years.’’ I said, ‘‘don’t be worried, you’ll see…it’ll be fine.’’ She came out and said to me…’‘It was amazing! I had tears in my eyes!’’ I looked at her and thought…what happened in there? lol Then, when I met with the priest, I realized what she felt. :o

@ marleelynn–I think your priest interacting with you like that, it just seems like something Jesus would truly do, if He were before us. Thank you for sharing.

@Paul–that is your reason?? hahahaha You’re funny…😃 ;)*
 
wouldn’t do it any other way; and I make appts also since he is also my sp. dir. and heard my “life confession” a couple of yrs ago. After that, one can never be nervous!
 
wouldn’t do it any other way; and I make appts also since he is also my sp. dir. and heard my “life confession” a couple of yrs ago. After that, one can never be nervous!
*Oh that’s so great, I’m happy for you. :o I admit, I was more nervous today, than if it weren’t face to face…not sure why. *
 
I’ve gone face to face and don’t like it. In my cases the priest tries to be my buddy and tell me that I’m OK. That’s only natural, but not what I want from Confession.
*Hi rep;

I know what you mean. I sometimes want a stern talking to! :o Today, he didn’t ask questions really, just really listened, and the peaceful look on his face was just awe-some to look at. Jesus wasn’t always stern when speaking with people about their sin…He seemed to have moment of just an offering of utter peace…like when He outstretched His hand to the woman caught in adultery. It seemed like He knew her sorrow, just by looking at her. It felt like that kind of experience. So, maybe when your priest is trying to make you ‘‘feel okay’’…he is trying to be that side of Christ. I am just throwing the thought out there. *
 
I have to admit–I go to confession to have my sins forgiven. I don’t care if it’s in the box or face to face. Mostly it’s in the confessional because that’s what we have at our church. But if a priest is helping by hearing confessions in the sanctuary, that’s OK too. I just want to recite the sins and hear the absolution. Anything above that just holds up the line!
 
After returning to the Church I made an appt for confession - which of course was face to face - and my first confession in 20 years. I had never been to face to face confession before and I was extremely nervous - agonized for a week about going. Was a great experience and Father could not have been kinder. I have been to confession several times since - including today. I can’t do the face to face though - go the old fashioned way.
 
Maybe this is because I’m young, but I’ve only ever been to confession face to face. I don’t think I’d want to have it any other way either.
True, it can make confession a bit more awkward, but I’ve had some amazing confessions that I think could have been hindered if they weren’t face to face.
 
After returning to the Church I made an appt for confession - which of course was face to face - and my first confession in 20 years. I had never been to face to face confession before and I was extremely nervous - agonized for a week about going. Was a great experience and Father could not have been kinder. I have been to confession several times since - including today. I can’t do the face to face though - go the old fashioned way.
My situation was similar. I made a decision to return to the Church after many years of irregular Mass attendance. It had been more than 20 years since my last confession. Obviously, the sacrament of penance was the gateway through which I had to pass before I could receive any other sacrament. It became urgent that I get the matter taken care of ASAP.

I immediately called a parish in my town. The woman who answered informed me that confessions were normally heard on Saturday. When I asked if it was possible to see a priest sooner, she put me on hold. When she returned, she asked if I could be there within the hour.

Father answered the door of the rectory, invited me into his office and asked me to take a seat. Up until that moment, I had never even heard of face-to-face confession. When he put on the stole and said “You may begin…”, I was taken totally by surprise.

Although I would have never knowingly volunteered for a f-f confession, at this point I needed the Sacrament and was determined to get it done, despite my discomfort with the format. I am grateful that Father maintained a priestly bearing and did not get me involved in an extended counseling session. All went smoothly, but my preference is definitely for the old-school anonymous confession.
 
I go face-to-face. I can’t say I particularly like it, but it is good for me. There is something about confessing my sins to another person, even though I realize the priest is acting in the person of Christ and I am confessing to God, that is rather humbling and takes me out of my comfort zone, and that, for me is a good thing. I can get complacent rather easily. But that is just me.
 
I’ve gone face to face and don’t like it. In my cases the priest tries to be my buddy and tell me that I’m OK. That’s only natural, but not what I want from Confession.
That can happen when behind a screen as well…
 
Good evening,

I too am just finding my faith after many, many years of “falling off the wagon”.( I think I have only been to church 5 or so times in the last 25 years) I have been reading as much as I can about all things Catholic. I hadn’t realized that to receive communion was a no, no for those who have not had confession. (MY BAD) Although I did have a long conversation with GOD asking for forgiveness.

I honestly cannot remember ever having my first confession. I must have though, I remember receiving all the other sacraments other than baptisim of course.

That being said. I am terrified. I attend a very small parish (less than 100 parishoners) I really like our priest, he is young and is the first priest to ever make me feel welcome, and not just some figure head that I was terrified to talk to.

I know for sure he would know exactly who I was even behind the curtain. I’m really worried about what he will think of me.( I worry about what anyone thinks of me) I realize that he has probably heard it all.

In particular I have two sins that have been really eating at me. Both happened before my return to the church, and have not happend since.

Would it be wrong to go to confession with another priest at another parish, just to keep my sins confidential? This is really eating at me. I want to do everything right and I really have no one to guide me though this.

Thanks,
T
 
Would it be wrong to go to confession with another priest at another parish, just to keep my sins confidential? This is really eating at me. I want to do everything right and I really have no one to guide me though this.
You may confess to any priest in any parish. HOWEVER, if you do not have the opportunity to go elsewhere and would only be able to go to your own priest before Christmas, just do it. The worse your sins are, the more the priests admire you for admitting them and changing your life. Your sins will be confidential no matter which priest hears your confession. Many priests say they really, truly forget what people tell them. In any case, they are not allowed to say anything to you or anyone else about your confession, they are not allowed to treat you any differently or do anything at all because of the knowledge of your sins. If they do any of these things, they are excommunicated immediately, and only the Pope can bring them back.

So come on home for Christmas! Welcome back!

Betsy
 
*I haven’t confessed face to face in a few years, not since we lived in PA. Today, there were two lines for confession, one was for face to face. I opted for that, and I can’t express in mere words how beautiful it was. The priest held my hand, and as he absolved me, placed his hand on my forehead. It was so personal, so special…I think I might opt for this from now on. He prayed with me, with our heads bowed after giving me my penance, while he held both of my hands. Have any of you ever experienced such a close and personal confession as this?

Absolutely wonderful experience. Just wanted to share with you all, and wondering if you like face to face confessions, too?*
wow that sounds really wonderful! 🙂 I had a few great face to face confessions… I think it’s really awesome when you meet a priest and it’s like meeting Jesus, you can just see Christ in him. 😃
Good evening,

I too am just finding my faith after many, many years of “falling off the wagon”.( I think I have only been to church 5 or so times in the last 25 years) I have been reading as much as I can about all things Catholic. I hadn’t realized that to receive communion was a no, no for those who have not had confession. (MY BAD) Although I did have a long conversation with GOD asking for forgiveness.

I honestly cannot remember ever having my first confession. I must have though, I remember receiving all the other sacraments other than baptisim of course.

That being said. I am terrified. I attend a very small parish (less than 100 parishoners) I really like our priest, he is young and is the first priest to ever make me feel welcome, and not just some figure head that I was terrified to talk to.

I know for sure he would know exactly who I was even behind the curtain. I’m really worried about what he will think of me.( I worry about what anyone thinks of me) I realize that he has probably heard it all.

In particular I have two sins that have been really eating at me. Both happened before my return to the church, and have not happend since.

Would it be wrong to go to confession with another priest at another parish, just to keep my sins confidential? This is really eating at me. I want to do everything right and I really have no one to guide me though this.

Thanks,
T
Hi, aw don’t be terrified :hug1:
I was VERY scared for my first Confession too… but the priest was very understanding. They’ve heard soo many sins and nothing really surprises them, lol! But if you feel really nervous, it’s alright go to go another parish. Whatever works. God bless you 🙂
 
Whatevergirl, it sounds like a wonderful experience! Thanks for sharing! I love to hear “confession stories”. It lets me know I’m not alone in going, I think.

I like to go face-to-face, but in my parish there is a partition on the face-to-face sde - about waist-high - so physical contact would be awkward.

tsteeves, I’ll echo what the others have said. Face to face, behind the screen, your parish, another parish - just GO! When I returned after many years, and had many serious things on my list, I figured God already knew all the things I had to confess, and since He knew, it didn’t really matter if they priest knew, too, (and knew it was me). As a matter of fact, I sought out one whom I knew well. When I look back, I am thankful that he played that role in my life.

There is only our pastor in our parish, and often I will confess one day and then have some kind of interaction with him on another matter outside of the confessional later that day or the next day. NEVER have I felt like he is looking at me any differently.

Go if you can, before Christmas. It will make this Christmas, the coming of Jesus into your life, that much more special. You’ll be in my prayers.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top