R
ricmat
Guest
In general, the Church magisterium (Pope included) speak authoritatively only on matters of faith and morals.Or does he only claim infallibility in matters intangible and undocumentable?
jomoco
In general, the Church magisterium (Pope included) speak authoritatively only on matters of faith and morals.Or does he only claim infallibility in matters intangible and undocumentable?
jomoco
I’m not sure I understand your question.How did they manage to so purposefully eliminate history or science?
The reason I can not become a catholic in a nutshell. Good luck with your journey, I have been serious about becoming a catholic for gee, is it nearly or over a year now???I have a question for anyone who can help…
How can the Catholic Church claim to be in harmony with science when it believes in the Bible and the religious beliefs are contrary to science?
sparta2011,I have a question for anyone who can help…
How can the Catholic Church claim to be in harmony with science when it believes in the Bible and the religious beliefs are contrary to science?
This needs to be reworded to:sparta2011,
The Catholic Church doesn’t interpret the Bible in any way that conflicts with science.
Consider the fact that the universe was created through God’s eternal word (Jn. 1:1). That means that at it’s deepest level, the universe is able to be understood. There are two ways that this could be done, by divine revelation (Sacred Scripture and Tradition, which are philosophical matters) and by scientific investigation (which is matter for empirical discovery).
Always remember that the Catholic tradition does not interpret all of the Bible in a literalistic manner. The Bible contains a variety of literary genre. Certain parts, such as the Gospels, must be taken as literal history, while other parts, such as the creation account in the first chapter of Genesis, display truth but in a more poetic fashion.
Also remember that there are three different levels of the Church’s magisterium, only two of which are infallible. The church has never declared infallible anything which contradicts with what we know through scientific investigation (and never has, talk about a guarantee by the Holy Ghost! :yup
Please get back to me about specific examples of where you have heard the Catholic Church is out of harmony with science, and I can help clear up misunderstandings.
Seems a bit too convenient for the Pope and the magesterium, scientifically and otherwise. They get to take on the authority that Christ Himself never enjoyed on earth in the flesh, yet mantain all the flaws and failings inherent to the rest of us through some indefinable means apparent to no-one outside their circle of flawed mortal MEN.In general, the Church magisterium (Pope included) speak authoritatively only on matters of faith and morals.
Your claim is we do not yet know dogmatic truths from Scripture after 2000 years?Seems a bit too convenient for the Pope and the magesterium, scientifically and otherwise. They get to take on the authority that Christ Himself never enjoyed on earth in the flesh, yet mantain all the flaws and failings inherent to the rest of us through some indefinable means apparent to no-one outside their circle of flawed mortal MEN.
The Bible is a mystery that has not to date been solved. Yet it beckons us to read it, search it with new eyes, to seek until ye find the truth behind its mysteries. None of the Popes have yet to find what Christ knew as He died upon the cross for our sake, in my humble opinion.
When the truth of the Bible is atlast revealed, it will be quite tangible and self-evident to all throughout the entire world to marvel at, and thank God for.
jomoco
From an objective viewpoint it certainly appears that way in my opinion.Your claim is we do not yet know dogmatic truths from Scripture after 2000 years?
Any specifics?From an objective viewpoint it certainly appears that way in my opinion.
Respectfully,
jomoco
Well, the Bible speaks in parable and allegory of things lukewarm being spewed out as distasteful and duplicitous.Any specifics?
JomocoFrom an objective viewpoint it certainly appears that way in my opinion.
I do not know what you are referring to.Well, the Bible speaks in parable and allegory of things lukewarm being spewed out as distasteful and duplicitous.
When a church can be against war and killing, yet somehow find it acceptable for its parishoners to engage in with blood stained hands on a daily basis for years, strikes me as duplicity in its most deadly form of flawed sinful men at their very worst.
jomoco
Well, I guess parable and allegory can be a bit too conveniently confusing at times lately.I do not know what you are referring to.
I side with the Magisterium in how Scripture is interpreted which is consistent with the constant understanding and teaching.Well, I guess parable and allegory can be a bit too conveniently confusing at times lately.
jomoco
I’m not changing the subject. It was YOU who stated (and I quote) “The empirical evidence of Copernicus and Galileo being scientifically right, and the Catholic Church being wrong, suggests otherwise in a manner quite tangible and self evident.”While I admire your attempt to subtly switch subjects from both Copernicus and Galileo being right on the matter of heliocentrism, to Galileo being wrong on the matter of what caused tides,
temporarily on the basis of it needing six minor corrections. And even with that it was only banned decades after it was published.the fact that the CC banned Copernicus’ writings on heliocentrism
Yes. It is true and self-evident in a much more complex sense than what you would like to present as reality. If I were to take your simple position, I would have to ignore the complex political and scientific environment at the time, as well as the pressure created by the german protestants agitating against the church for taking such a scientific and “unbiblical” perspective. Recall, if you will, that Copernicus was a religious, and Galileo was an employee of the church, so their works affected public opinion of the church during the reformation.and persecuted Galileo for his advocacy of Copernicus’ belief being true and accurate is self-evident to both historians and Christians
Does the Pope hold any responsibility for the documented actions of his own church?
It’s not about responsibility. It’s about what is or is not infallible. The judgements of any court of inquisition are, simply put, not infallible. Teachings on faith and morals by ecumenical councils or the pope when acting ex cathedra are. Anything else is not.Or does he only claim infallibility in matters intangible and undocumentable?
So what does the Magisterium teach or understand about Jesus’ parable of the mustard seed?I side with the Magisterium in how Scripture is interpreted which is consistent with the constant understanding and teaching.
[31] Another parable he proposed unto them, saying: The kingdom of heaven is like to a grain of mustard seed, which a man took and sowed in his field. [32] Which is the least indeed of all seeds; but when it is grown up, it is greater than all herbs, and becometh a tree, so that the birds of the air come, and dwell in the branches thereof. [33] Another parable he spoke to them: The kingdom of heaven is like to leaven, which a woman took and hid in three measures of meal, until the whole was leavened. [34] All these things Jesus spoke in parables to the multitudes: and without parables he did not speak to them. [35] That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, saying: I will open my mouth in parables, I will utter things hidden from the foundation of the world.So what does the Magisterium teach or understand about Jesus’ parable of the mustard seed?
Matthew 13:31-32 tells the parable of the mustard seed: “The kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed, which a man took and planted in his field. Though it is the smallest of all your seeds, yet when it grows, it is the largest of garden plants and becomes a tree, so that the birds of the air come and perch in its branches.”
jomoco
Perhaps this would be a subject for another thread. But what are your requirements for a church that you would join? What does it have to do with being in harmony with science?The reason I can not become a catholic in a nutshell. Good luck with your journey, I have been serious about becoming a catholic for gee, is it nearly or over a year now???
I gave it one year max. Thank you for reminding me how I did all I could to find a way and there just is not one.
So let’s delve down into the very basis of how the Magesterium took on the attributes of infallibility when Peter himself proved fallible by denying knowledge of Christ three times?I’m not changing the subject. It was YOU who stated (and I quote) “The empirical evidence of Copernicus and Galileo being scientifically right, and the Catholic Church being wrong, suggests otherwise in a manner quite tangible and self evident.”
I am merely pointing out that in fact, all of Galileo’s “empirical evidence” was NOT correct in any scientific sense. His “proofs” were either incorrect or likewise explained in Tycho Brahe’s model.
As for Copernicus’ empirical proofs: WHAT empirical proofs?
You see, for church bashers, it’s useful to imagine that Copernicus and Galileo were infallible geniuses who presented whole and complete theories with irrefutable proof which the Catholic church then ignored.
The reality, however, which is much more pleasing to those interested in truth (about both history and science) is that Copernicus and Galileo were presenting the VERY BEGINNINGS of a new theory which was widely ridiculed in the scientific community at the time and that neither of them presented emperical evidence which could not be explained by other existing theories (or, in the case of the tidal argument, was altogether incorrect). The situation with approval of heliocentrism is, simply put, not as cut and dried as enemies of the church would like it to be.
temporarily on the basis of it needing six minor corrections. And even with that it was only banned decades after it was published.
Yes. It is true and self-evident in a much more complex sense than what you would like to present as reality. If I were to take your simple position, I would have to ignore the complex political and scientific environment at the time, as well as the pressure created by the german protestants agitating against the church for taking such a scientific and “unbiblical” perspective. Recall, if you will, that Copernicus was a religious, and Galileo was an employee of the church, so their works affected public opinion of the church during the reformation.
For that reason, I point out that the document you presented is a lot of grandstanding with very little basis in ACTUAL church teaching, which is why it becomes important to know what is or is not dogmatic teaching of the church. (Another example: the public record released said Galileo was tortured, while modern historians all recognize that this was a clever ruse and that internal documents released later prove that Galileo’s treatment was actually very civil)
It’s not about responsibility. It’s about what is or is not infallible. The judgements of any court of inquisition are, simply put, not infallible. Teachings on faith and morals by ecumenical councils or the pope when acting ex cathedra are. Anything else is not.
You mistake, however, if you think I’m overly defending the church. I’m taking this stand on the basis that you do science a great discredit by pandering a false history of the works of two brilliant men. You trivialize their contributions to modern physics when you create infantile charicatures of their work for whatever theo-political purpose you cleave to.