Fallen Away Catholics who live together or remarried invalidly?

  • Thread starter Thread starter dfp42
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not knowing the state of anyone’s soul at death, how can you be sure of this?
It is different statement that X or Y is in hell, or that the hell is populated, and among them there are Catholics too.

Anyone, who chooses the wealth, the vengeance, the power over others, the sex instead of God slates himself to the Hell. Being Catholic in itself does not prevent this choices.
 
There are two opposing principles:
  • God does not want impossible from anyone
  • one have to chose between his desires and God
We do not know where is the balance.

Those who are living together without valid marriage, are encouraged to attend Church and Masses, but are discouraged to receive the Holy communion sacrilegiously. For their own sake (to avoid the false belief that everything is in order) and for other people’s sake to avoid scandal and bad example.
 
the US bishops have addressed this concern by dedicating this current catechetical year to Matrimony-sacrament of enduring love and urging pastors and catechetical leaders to emphasize teaching on the sacramental nature of marriage in the context of the Church and unity with Christ, and making efforts to invite those with any irregular situation to be welcomed and assisted to regularize that circumstance.

They couple begins by setting up an inteview with the priest or deacon to lay out all the facts of their situation, they receive pastoral care including sacramental confession as appropriate, are assisted with investigating any past marriages to determine validity and their own current options, and when possible, in convalidating the present union in the Church. That includes pastoral care, counselling, marriage preparation and all other assistance available to couples and families, suited to the needs of that particular couple.

The individual Catholic involved in a union with a person who is not interested in complying with Catholic thouht on marriage is assisted pastorally, as an individual, to find solutions to their moral dilemma, while regarding practical matters such as finances and most especially, care for any children involved.

There is always a remedy for any situation.
Rarely does finding that remedy follow a time plan dictated by either party to the relationship or by pastors, but is guided, when he is invited to be present, by the Holy Spirit.

this completely misstates Catholic teaching on the status of children of unmarried persons or those in irregular unions.

If you want individual answers to the individuals disparate issues you raise, search for past threads on those topics: divorce, annulment etc (none of which effects the status of children). Where did you get the idea that the church does not “recognize” children of those whose parents are not validly married?

You or I as a parishioner in the pew cannot judge the state of the soul of anyone receiving communion. That perogative belongs to God alone, and as excercised by the priest in the private forum (confession). You do not and cannot know all the facts of the situation. If it were easy to look at any relationship or family from the outside and know all the facts, there would be no need for a formal investigation of their status. Annulment proceedings are private and remain so for good reason.

If someone approaches you personally with a question of information, refer them to their pastor.
This is all well and good in theory, but I just have to say that not all pastors will help and some even give wrong information that just leads to more confusion. Speaking from personal experience…
 
I am in a similar situation. I was raised Catholic but was married by a Baptist minister. My husband was abusive and we ultimately divorced. I then met and married my second husband in a civil ceremony. We have been married for 20+ years and I have not attended mass regularly until recently. My two (almost) grown children are completing RCIA and will receive sacraments this Easter. I do not receive communion when I attend mass and I sorely miss it.

My husband has agreed to do what is necessary to have our marriage blessed. If we live together celibately, can I make a confession and then receive communion? I believe so but would like someone else’s opinion.
 
If anyone is in an irregular union, please, just go see your pastor. If you haven’t been to church in some time, go to any Catholic church you like and see the priest and run the specifics of the situation before him. And please, please, please keep going to Mass, or go back to Mass, even if you can’t receive the Eucharist just yet. Try to live your faith as best you can, and that includes going to confession, even if you can’t actually get absolution.

The annulment process is lengthy but worth it in terms of tying up loose ends, reviewing what happened in the first marriage, and seeing if it was or wasn’t actually sacramental.

Anyone remember hearing about making a “spiritual communion?”

I know of couples who are in what looks on the surface to be an invalid union who go to communion all the time. I have decided for myself that in the name of charity, I will follow Our Lord’s directive–I will focus more on the plank that is irritating my contact lenses (my numerous sins that keep recurring, not this specific one, but others) as opposed to insisting on trying to get the speck out of their eyes.
 
Anyone remember hearing about making a “spiritual communion?”
Exactly. Encouraged by the Council of Trent. There are variations but this is one:

My Jesus,
I believe that You
are present in the Most Holy Sacrament.
I love You above all things,
and I desire to receive You into my soul.
Since I cannot at this moment
receive You sacramentally,
come at least spiritually into my heart.
I embrace You as if You were already there
and unite myself wholly to You.
Never permit me to be separated from You.
Amen.

If anyone has one in Latin, I’d love to read it.
 
I

My husband has agreed to do what is necessary to have our marriage blessed. If we live together celibately, can I make a confession and then receive communion? I believe so but would like someone else’s opinion.
the opinion to get is that of your priest in confession
yes, in general a Catholic in such an irregular marriage situation could indeed receive communion during the time they are working to rectify it, with the priest counsel during confession, if they “live as brother and sister” during that time. Obviously the other spouse has to agree to this situation. But don’t take a general statement and try to apply it to an individual situation without the guidance of your own priest in confession.

For the rest of us that means one thing. The entire situation of a Catholic in an irregular marriage receiving communion is part of matter for confession. That means no speculation on the part of third parties, including children and other family members, is appropriate or charitable. One puts the most charitable construction possible on any action one observes regardless of what you think you know about that person. You do not and cannot know what the priest has counselled that person in confession and to assume that knowledge is simply wrong.
 
I am in a similar situation. I was raised Catholic but was married by a Baptist minister. My husband was abusive and we ultimately divorced. I then met and married my second husband in a civil ceremony. We have been married for 20+ years and I have not attended mass regularly until recently. My two (almost) grown children are completing RCIA and will receive sacraments this Easter. I do not receive communion when I attend mass and I sorely miss it.

My husband has agreed to do what is necessary to have our marriage blessed. If we live together celibately, can I make a confession and then receive communion? I believe so but would like someone else’s opinion.
You have to talk to your priest / confessor about whether you can undertake this. You should be under spiritual direction to attempt this. Pray, pray for strength and guidance. Spend a lot of time before the blessed sacrament. You have to be careful about the sin of scandal. You may be asked to receive communion at a parish that is not your home parish.
 
My SIL has a married man living with her (she was the cause of the break up of his family.) She’s Catholic, he’s not. When she attends church, she receives communion. This has bothered me and my children ask why she’s receiving communion when she’s openly living with a married man. My MIL said it’s okay because my SIL goes to confession. I’m totally confused so I asked our pastor.

My pastor said that if a person comes to confession to confess a sin that they are obviously going to leave the confessional and commit again (i.e.go back home to live with the married boyfriend ) at that point the confession becomes a counseling session and he tries to help the person figure out what needs to be done to get on the right track with God. In my SIL’s case, she would have to see if her married boyfriend could persue an annulmnent, after his divorce is final, I suppose.
 
By the way, any children of such a union, if they are Catholic, may validly receive the sacraments. They’re not responsible for their parents’ behavior.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top