E
EasterJoy
Guest
Whatever happened to ladies acting like ladies? “She frankly told me that she is falling for someone, but it’s not me” wasn’t just frank. It was* cold*.It depends. The OP specifically said she requested no contact. Restraining orders are given often for this sort of thing. In fact the mere fact that he is questioning weather to respect her request publicly is a red flag. I think it is possible that what we have here is a case of misunderstanding what “in love” means. Remember we are getting the side of the story from one person. I look at this and dont necessarily wonder why she is so cold but I wonder what happened to make her cut off all contact with someone whom the OP says she has been very close to since gradeschool. That seems drastic and I would have to consider that something happened to make her take such a stance.
Either way, a restraining order is mild compared to what would happen if my daughter told me she requested someone leave her alone and he didn’t.
What ever happened to gentlemen acting like gentlemen?
It could be that she over reacted and our OPs unrequited love should be followed with all the passion of an English romance novelBUT, I think in this day and age and especially on public forums we should be encouraging the safest, healthiest response.
I’m thinking of the half-dozen young fellows I have known since gradeschool. Now I’m pretending in my mind that after that ten years or so of childhood friendship, I elected to started to date one of them.
OK, now I meet Prince Charming, the man of my dreams, the man who didn’t have me there to watch his baby teeth gradually replaced. I’m smitten with him…I say “I think I’m falling for him.” Hmmm. Now, what do I do about my Old Friend Bob? I had gradually been realizing that Bob and I didn’t have a future, but I didn’t get around to doing anything about it. Now I’m stuck. Holding onto comfortable Old Bob as my faithful sidekick until I found someone else that makes me decide to ditch him is not a nice thing to do. All my friends will see what I’m doing. It embarrasses me. What I would really like is to not have to face the unpleasant truth about what I’m going to have to do: Hurt my old friend so I can chase someone else.
How about I just get Good Old Bob to kindly exit stage right without any drawn-out explanations, without any dramas? Out of sight, out of mind, have a nice life, Bob. Let Bob sort out Bob’s feelings without me. It’s going to be painful to watch, I’m going to feel guilty, I just don’t want to go there.
So what do I do? I tell Old Bob to empty his desk, I give him a gold watch and a pat on the back, and I expect him to retire in grace. “You’re not my man any more, you’re fired, goodbye, Bob! We’ll always treasure the contributions you made here at Acme!!” You say the employers in my analogy could call the police if Bob didn’t clear out, and they could. You are 100% right about that. I’m saying that I know just what the other employees would think about that particular manager at the Acme Company, the one who fired Bob has he did, and that was before he had the chutzpah to call the cops on the “formerly treasured” employee because he doesn’t cope well with this stunning and unexpected rejection. How about you?
I think he should honor her wish that he not email or text her–for his own sanity if nothing else, because he doesn’t need to find out what else she has in mind for her “treasured” friend–but what she did was very rude, and her “I’ll always treasure our friendship” line was just this side of ridiculous. It’s a real “treasured” friend that you tell to stop contacting you! Treasured, my foot. She wasn’t frank. She ditched him like an old shoe and wants to do so with no emotional consequences. She ought to feel guilty.
If I had done that to one of our neighbor boys, a kid that my dad had known for a dozen years, it wouldn’t be the neighbor kid who would be on my dad’s bad side. It would be me.
But yes, our OP should not text or email her. He should, however, feel as if keeping out of the way in public is her job, not his. He can hold up his head. She…maybe not so much. He may forgive her and reconcile in time, but right now what he should not do is to act as if he’s the one who did something wrong here. He deserves to travel with a free conscience, and when he sees her in public, to look her straight in the eye. I hope he does.