Father Corapi ... on Baptism & Protestants

  • Thread starter Thread starter BRB1
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BRB1

Guest
He was teaching Catechism of Baptism on EWTN.

He went to great lengths to teach Catholics in the class, that devout baptized Protestants will make Purgatory at the minimum.

I want to believe he is right, provided they have no unconfessed mortals.
 
wow but how many people don’t have a unconfessed mortal???

The protestants I know (and I did likewise back then) say all sin is sin, there is no sin, you know once saved always saved I can do what I want because “as a protestant I have freedom from sin because of Christ” stuff.

I believe protestants needs to return to the Church, and confess sins to a Priest to have hope of salvation.
 
He was teaching Catechism of Baptism on EWTN.

He went to great lengths to teach Catholics in the class, that devout baptized Protestants will make Purgatory at the minimum.

I want to believe he is right, provided they have no unconfessed mortals.
Fr. Corapi tells it like it is.
 
He was teaching Catechism of Baptism on EWTN.

He went to great lengths to teach Catholics in the class, that devout baptized Protestants will make Purgatory at the minimum.

I want to believe he is right, provided they have no unconfessed mortals.
You mean un-repented Mortal sins?
 
I believe protestants needs to return to the Church, and confess sins to a Priest to have hope of salvation.
Well, lots of Catholics share your opinion. But, Father C. doesn’t teach this idea. I was amazed @ his teaching on topic, and how liberal he was on Protestants getting to heaven w/o becoming Catholic.

For him, salvation is all about Trinitarian Baptism and having rightly oriented intentions.
 
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm well what he teaches is between him and his Bishop I guess. 🤷

But I’m not going to tell Protestants to just keep believing their sola scriptura and OSAS misbeliefs and “hold a good thought” for heaven.

They should REturn to the church and the church’s teachings. That is the best plan. I do hope that God in his infinite mercy has a plan for devout protestants who do not know better, who have had no opportunity for being presented with the truth as I was. I know my grandparents were very devout, never had any of the Catholic truths presented to them, and thus never had any choice to make. I was presented with God’s truth and the truth of His True Church on earth and was thus given a choice (and come Easter Vigil this year I’ll be the first protestant in this family to return to the Church). I do hope there is a way for devout Protestants I know who loved Christ, followed what they believed they should, and had a sincere love for God and sincre hatred of sin.

Our Priest explained that the Church is limited by its sacraments to give believers, but God and God’s mercy is not limited. So I do hope there is a way. This side of heaven though, I’d not go around preaching that. I’d have to see it in the CCC first 🙂
 
I think that Father Corapi is right on key here. The Church does not teach that you have to be Catholic in order to be saved. I think there is a misunderstanding when one reads only the words, “Outside the Church, there is no salvation”. They simply mean that all the elements necessary for salvation are found within the Catholic Church. Does that mean the our Protestant bretheren don’t have elements of truth? No of course not. We simply say that we have the fullness of truth. Check the Catechism, I think you will find a fuller understanding of what the Church means. It’s really a culpability issue. Does one truly believe in the Catholic Church but then makes a decision to not become Catholic? Or, is it that they have never heard the truth of the Catholic Faith? We are simply not able to read the hearts of people. I believe, and so does the Catholic Church that I will see many a protestant bretheren when I visit Purgatory on the way to Heaven, Lord willing.

Give some thought to the poor soul in some far off distant jungle who has never heard the gospel message (They do exist, just watch the National Geographic channel sometime) or the truth of the Catholic Church. What kind of sadist would God be who condems this person to Hell just for the mere fact that they weren’t able to hear the message.

The Catholic Church recognizes ONE baptism for the forgivness of sins, whether it be Protestant or Catholic. The formula for baptism is what is important, which is exactly what Father Corapi teaches. He is anything but liberal. In fact, he’a about as far right as they come.
 
I don’t understand his wording here. What does he mean make purgatory at the minimum? Does that mean the barley escape hell and are given a steep purgatory sentence till the end of time?

James
 
I think that Father Corapi is right on key here. The Church does not teach that you have to be Catholic in order to be saved. I think there is a misunderstanding when one reads only the words, “Outside the Church, there is no salvation”. They simply mean that all the elements necessary for salvation are found within the Catholic Church. Does that mean the our Protestant bretheren don’t have elements of truth? No of course not. We simply say that we have the fullness of truth. Check the Catechism, I think you will find a fuller understanding of what the Church means. It’s really a culpability issue. Does one truly believe in the Catholic Church but then makes a decision to not become Catholic? Or, is it that they have never heard the truth of the Catholic Faith? We are simply not able to read the hearts of people. I believe, and so does the Catholic Church that I will see many a protestant bretheren when I visit Purgatory on the way to Heaven, Lord willing.

Give some thought to the poor soul in some far off distant jungle who has never heard the gospel message (They do exist, just watch the National Geographic channel sometime) or the truth of the Catholic Church. What kind of sadist would God be who condems this person to Hell just for the mere fact that they weren’t able to hear the message.

The Catholic Church recognizes ONE baptism for the forgivness of sins, whether it be Protestant or Catholic. The formula for baptism is what is important, which is exactly what Father Corapi teaches. He is anything but liberal. In fact, he’a about as far right as they come.
You do have to be Catholic to be saved. Everyone in Heaven is Catholic. Those outside the Church with baptism of desire (explicit or implicit) are deemed to be Catholic if they died.
 
If he says that about Baptized Protestants, I am curious as to how Muslims and Hindus who are not baptized and without the clear message of Christ, are understood regarding purgatory or heaven? Does this mean they have slim to no chance? :confused:

I pray when we stand before that Lord and explain ourselves, that the Lord of justice and mercy would be merciful to those who have not seen and have not heard!

Romans 2:12-16
All who sin apart from the law will also perish apart from the law, and all who sin under the law will be judged by the law. For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God’s sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous. (Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law, since they show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts now accusing, now even defending them.) This will take place on the day when God will judge men’s secrets through Jesus Christ, as my gospel declares.
 
wow but how many people don’t have a unconfessed mortal???

The protestants I know (and I did likewise back then) say all sin is sin, there is no sin, you know once saved always saved I can do what I want because “as a protestant I have freedom from sin because of Christ” stuff.

I believe protestants needs to return to the Church, and confess sins to a Priest to have hope of salvation.
As a member of the “Church of Christ,” until I’m out of the house anyway, do not believe in once saved always saved. They fully acknowledge that a person can enter sin again. And in some cases people will confess their sin to the pastor at the end of Church. They call this “going to the front pew.”

We dont believe by faith alone either.

So not all Protestant sects follow those
 
I don’t understand his wording here. What does he mean make purgatory at the minimum? Does that mean the barley escape hell and are given a steep purgatory sentence till the end of time?

James
My take of Father C’s teaching of Catechism was that Trinitarian Baptism ‘seals’ one to Christ. That a devout Protestant can actually have Catholic understandings, just not appreciate that the Church is the fullness of the Faith.

It is our duty to show these sincere Protestants that they are missing out on much in Christ’s Church, by being apart from many of the sacraments [mainly thru ignorance, lack of exposure to Catholic teachings].

Corapi mentioned he has many good Protestant friends, who he believes are true children of the father, and heaven bound.

I think he is right … its just that much of Catholic dogma can get in the way and cause us to draw perhaps overly restrictive conclusions from dogma.

Christ did mention to the Jews in sciptures that he has other children, which he will judge by different [more lenient standards].
I’d bet this is where Corapi gets the basis for his understandings.
 
I suspect that Fr. Corapi’s context is somehow missing or misunderstood. What was printed above sounds like a blanket statement that would equate to once saved always saved. I don’t believe that Fr. Corapi believes that at all.
 
I suspect that Fr. Corapi’s context is somehow missing or misunderstood. What was printed above sounds like a blanket statement that would equate to once saved always saved. I don’t believe that Fr. Corapi believes that at all.
Yes, I agree with you totally. I’d like to hear myself what he said.
 
You do have to be Catholic to be saved. Everyone in Heaven is Catholic. Those outside the Church with baptism of desire (explicit or implicit) are deemed to be Catholic if they died.
Agreed.Even those non-Christians who Christ in His Mercy may deign to save.
 
Would Full Contrition effect a Full absolution without the Rite of Penance? 🤷
 
You do have to be Catholic to be saved. Everyone in Heaven is Catholic. Those outside the Church with baptism of desire (explicit or implicit) are deemed to be Catholic if they died.
Thistle…we may indeed be in agreement but merely saying it a different way. I took the liberty to include a link to the same type question here on Catholic Answers. This sounds like it would meet the condition of ‘baptism of desire’. So I understand what you are saying, which I would highly doubt that Father Corapi would disagree with this.🙂

catholic.com/thisrock/1991/9111chap.asp

J.A.
 
I listened to his Catechism talk between yesterday and today and he was very clear not to be mistaken that the Catholic Church is the fullness of faith. I do not remember hearing a comment about “devout Protestants making purgatory at a minimum”.
 
Christ did mention to the Jews in sciptures that he has other children, which he will judge by different [more lenient standards].
I’d bet this is where Corapi gets the basis for his understandings.
I am a huge fan of Fr. Corapi. He is very orthodox in his beliefs and teachings and only seems to have issues with some of the new liberal theology coming out of the American Catholic Universities (which I agree with him on). In other words we can expect his views to be dead centered on the Catholic Catechism in the area of Protestant’s being saved. In that sense “yes” - most Catholics belive that it is “possible” that “some” protestants will be saved - but it will be in spite of their ecclesial communities and the errors of their preachers and ministers and mostly through the merits of The Catholic Church and Divine Mercy.

There are some few Protestants who through baptism will purge themselves of sin and truly repent and manage through cooperation with grace (and through ignorance escaping grater cuplability) not to gravely sin again in their entire lives. But in the western society this is EXTREMELY hard for any to do. Those who fall back into grave sin after baptism are the many Protestants who simply will not make it without a radical infusion of repentant grace through The Catholic Church. I imagine that probably over 95% of genuinely baptised (water and trinitarian formula) Protestants fall back into grave sin at some point in their lives at least one time. Without sacramental confession these are dancing on a razor’s edge of falling into hell if they die unrepentant for a SINGLE grave sin committed after baptism. So I am praying daily for these.

As for the passage of other flocks - that is simply meaning The Gentiles - NOT different denominations.

James
 
wow but how many people don’t have a unconfessed mortal???

The protestants I know (and I did likewise back then) say all sin is sin, there is no sin, you know once saved always saved I can do what I want because “as a protestant I have freedom from sin because of Christ” stuff.

I believe protestants needs to return to the Church, and confess sins to a Priest to have hope of salvation.
Why would anyone need to confess their sins to a priest. In Mk 15:38 it says the veil of the temple was torn in two signifying that the way into God’s presence was open by the death of his son. You no longer had to go to the priest for your sins. I Tim 2:5 says “There is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus”. Throughout the bible it is faith and faith alone that is commanded as a condition for receiving God’s gift of Salvation. John 3:16, Acts 16:30-31 and John 3:36. A person does not have to go to a priest to have any hope of salvation.
God Bless
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top