Favorite Christmas Movie

  • Thread starter Thread starter workinprogress8
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
dhgray:
I bought my husband that lamp for “Man- Land” (the basement) last year
👍 .

Now to answer the OP-

Nestor Nestor, the Long Earred Christmas Donkey is the BEST Christmas movie ever. It is similar to Rudolf, but the focus is Christ’s birth instead of Santa. Nestor is the donkey (with very long ears which he trips over) who carries the BVM to Bethlehem.
 
the one about the 3 kings sounds awesome, do we know when and where it was produced, and can we lobby the network to get it back?
when I was a kid Amahl and the Night Visitors was presented every Christmas, a TV version of Menotti’s opera, I would love to see it again. I also look for every version of the Nutcracker I can find on DSS-land.
 
Santa vs the Snowman is a great Imax movie that’s out this year. Excellent animation (especially on the huge Imax screen), and very clever dialog and plot, for both adults and kids.

I highly recommend it if you want to take kids to a movie, and don’t mind paying the high Imax prices for a movie that’s only about 40 minutes long. And depending on where your Imax theater is, it could be part of a museum visit that would be a change of pace from fighting the mall crowds.
 
40.png
SP38:
Charlie Brown Christmas
Rudolph
Frosty the snowman
Santa Clause is coming to town
Little Drummer Boy
Grinch

We couldn’t wait til Christmas season! We had to wait til it came on TV ! We would make a special night of it. Popcorn, pj’s and Rudolph.
Now, the kids can watch them anytime they want. It’s just not the same… But I love all those shows anyway…
Yup, same here. It’s just not Christmas without them, and no it’s not the same as when, if you missed it that year, you were out of luck til next year. My kids like them when I can get them to sit down and watch them, but since there is no sense of urgency like there was for us, I have to do more coaxing so we can all sit down together.

As far as my favorite movie, I’ll add my voice to “Wonderful Life”-- it makes me teary every time (as a manly man, I never actually cry 😉 ) but my favorite program is the the “Little House On The Prairie” Christmas episode where the girls are all really small have to wait for Mr. Edwards to fight his way through a blizzard to bring them their simple gifts. The whole episode really brings out the goodness and beauty of Christmas it really makes you pine for a simple, non-commercial Christmas.
 
My Favs:

An American Christmas Carol with Henry Winkler playing the Scrooge-like character.
The movie was made in the late 1970’s and it was set in New England in the Depression.

The Miracle of the Bells…I only saw it once about 20 years ago on TV and would like to see it again.

I heard of a film made around 1975 called Commerce Day. I think it is a futuristic movie abuot Christmas being pushed aside for commericalism. Any one else remembering this movie? (It sure applies for today).

Of course, A Christmas Story, but with it being played to Death on TBS/TNT etc that it wore me out. I haven’t seem it in about 5 years (for the above reason) but I always liked the film.
 
Meet Me in St. Louis with Judy Garland singing all those great songs, the Trolley Song, Have yourself a Merry Little Christmas, the bratty Margaret OBrien. Hate the ending where dad caves in on a good career move, but can’t have it all.
 
Its a Wonderful Life
A Christmas Carol (ONLY the Aleister Sim version) I’ve seen em all, and only he does it true justice…G.C. Scott was good but I thought the movie was bad.
Scrooge w/Albert Finney
Scrooged w/Bill Murray
A Christmas Story
The Grinch w/Jim Carrey
The Bishops Wife (original)
Lemon Drop Kid…love when Bob Hope sings Silver Bells.
 
the Mary Steenbergen flic was on hallmark this afternoon, I tivoed it so I could watch Poirot.
 
Going My Way, and Bells of St Marys, I think the first is where Barry Fitzgerald, the old priest, gets a surprise visit from his even older mother from Ireland, and the boys choir sings Adeste Fidelis. The other has that great off-broadway Nativity play with the first-graders.
 
I see that many share my favorite, “It’s a Wonderful Life.” This movie actually helped me in a funeral homily. A woman, who served the parish for many years visiting the sick and helping many passed on. I spoke about this movie and then asked the question," What would have happened if she had not been born?" I then listed some of her many contributions to her brothers and sisters in Christ. Like the fact that she made little doll clothes for babies that were born premature. Some so small that they did not live, but could be buried in these little clothes. Her long time pastor added to the list. I have fond memories because of this film.

God bless…
 
It’s a Wonderful Life
A Christmas Story
One Magic Christmas
Rudolph (even though I have this one on tape, I still only watch it when it comes on CBS each year; I think I’ll do that every year till I die)
The Homecoming

It Came Upon the Midnight Clear - I hope someone else remembers this one. I think it was made for TV around 1984, because I remember watching it it on TV in first grade. Anyway, it stars Micky Rooney as a loving father and grandfather to Scott Grimes and he dreams of going home to New York for Christmas, but he dies. The angels send him back just long enough to take care of a mission they send him on. I always loved it because he got to go to Confession for the last time before dying “again”. I loved the whole atmosphere of this movie.
Does anyone know where I can get this on VHS or DVD?
 
40.png
deaconswife:
My daughters’ greatest disappointment about the film is the department store in the film is Higbees where we used to take them to visit Santa. Their disappointment was that Santa did not have that big slide that landed you in the pile of fluff. :nope:
I’m a Cleveland native too and that’s both mine and my wifes favorite film.

Anyway Deaconswife, while the exteriors were filmed at Higbee’s the interior shots of the visit to Santa were done at Halle’s a few blocks down Euclid, which had just closed shortly before filming began.

–arthur
 
Here’s my list:
It’s a Wonderful Life
Home Alone
The Kid Who Loved Christmas
The Preacher’s Wife
Santa Claus the Movie
animated version of L. Frank Baum’s Life and Adventures of Santa Claus (only because of the source material. The songs stink. Why is it Disney is the only company that can usually pull off an animated musical?)
The Santa Clause (Tim Allen is hilarious in this movie!)
The Christmas Carol w/Patrick Stewart
Bill Murray Gets Scrooged
and here’s one that kind of seems close to a Christmas movie, since it’s about an alien holiday that resembles Christmas: Tenchi the Movie 2: Daughter of Darkness (a feature length spinoff of the anime Tenchi Muyo!
 
National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation is my favorite.

The best part of the movie is when Clark is watching old home movies after being locked in the attic. He sits there in the turban, fur, and gloves. But of course, he sits on the attic door and when Ellen opens the attic door…WOOSH!!!

Down he goes.

:rotfl:

Merry Christmas everyone!

dxu
 
“Miracle on 34th Street” the back & white version with Natalie Wood as the little girl.
 
The best part of the movie is when Clark is watching old home movies after being locked in the attic. He sits there in the turban, fur, and gloves. But of course, he sits on the attic door and when Ellen opens the attic door…WOOSH!!!
Recall the song playing during this scene? The Spirit of Christmas by Ray Charles.
DH’s all time favoite Christmas song. I searched every music store in town for 2 weeks to find that CD for him. Finally I had to order it.
 
One of my all-time favorite Christmas movies is White Christmas with Danny Kaye, Bing Crosby, Rosemary Clooney & Vera Ellen. I love the singing and dancing. It’s a nice story, too. Of course I love It’s A Wonderful Life, A Christmas Story, A Miracle on 34th Street. Can’t forget Charlie Brown, Rudolph & The Grinch!
 
Lucania, I’m glad you like “White Christmas” too! I was reading this thread and thinking…maybe I’m the only one! Lol.

I love Miracle on 34th street. (the old version) We watch that every year. And the Garfield Chrstmas special. So cute. And a Charlie Brown Christmas, and It’s a Wonderful Life. I love 'em all 🙂
 
Any version of “A Christmas Carol” does perfect.:yup: and there’s “Miracle on 34th street” too among others.But anyway I feel happy with Garfield,the Flinstones,tne Smurfs,Charlie Brown, etc.Versions of Christmas episodes.:rotfl:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top