Favorite Christmas Movie

  • Thread starter Thread starter workinprogress8
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
  1. A Christmas Carol (with George C. Scott)
  2. It’s a Wonderful Life
  3. Miracle on 34th Street (the original with Natalie Wood as the little girl)
  4. A Christmas Story (hysterically funny)
  5. A Charlie Brown Christmas
  6. White Christmas
  7. The Bishop’s Wife (an Episcopalian bishop, that is!)
 
Merry Christmas, Charlie Brown, Going my Way, White Christmas, Bells of St. Mary’s, It’s a Wonderful Life. I love all of these, I love to laugh, I love to cry! They all make me do both. Happy Thanksgiving to all! Theresa
 
40.png
jess7396:
I bought my husband that lamp for “Man- Land” (the basement) last year
👍 .
And I’ll bet “you use all the glue…on purpose…!!” :rotfl:

“loves bargaining as much as an arab trader, and twice as shrewd”,
tee
 
Glad to see this Thread back up and running! I posted here last year and forgot what I wrote!

Well, I STILL haven’t seen It’s a WOnderful Life, and wonder if I’m the Only person on earth who hasn’t seen it.

As I wrote last year, I like Miracle of the bells, saw it once and loved it! A Christmas Story, who would believe it has been 20 years Alrady since it came out!
 
When I was a kid, I always enjoyed watching “A Child’s Christmas in Wales.” It was a made for tv movie. I think fondly of it because it wasn’t very commercial, and was somewhat original. I would almost feel that I was the one listening to my grandfather recount tales of a time long-since past.
 
40.png
Edwin1961:
Well, I STILL haven’t seen It’s a WOnderful Life, and wonder if I’m the Only person on earth who hasn’t seen it.
You’re one of two.:o
 
I like the cartoon version of the Grinch but I don’t care for Jim Carey’s remake. In the original cartoon/book when the Who’s wake up and find all the trapping of Christmas gone they don’t even bat an eye because they know that Christmas isn’t about the “stuff”. They immediately go and sing joyfully for the coming of Christmas day. I didn’t like all the grumbling and lecturing required to get the Who’s to know what’s right in the live action movie. I was much, much less joyful to me.

I also didn’t care for the flashback in the Jim Carey movie that gave us a psycological justification for the Grinch’s evil outlook. I think it kind of spoiled the foil effect between the Grinch and the Whos. When the Grinch is really, really bad and enjoys it, the Who’s goodness winning him over it’s so much more wonderful and illustrative of the the way good wins over evil. In the re-make it’s more like the abused, misunderstood, just wanting to be loved Grinch meets the generally grumbling, materialist Who’s in a momentary fit of goodness that probably won’t last, and get’s a little nookey from the sexy Who. Ug! Stick with the cartoon.
 
The Muppets Christmas Carol
The Island of Misfit Toys ( not sure if exact title )
Frosty the Snowman
 
The Muppets Christmas Carol
The Island of Misfit Toys ( not sure if exact title )
Frosty the Snowman
 
I used to like all of the ones mentioned.

But recently I changed my mind.

New best favorite:

GROUNDHOG DAY
 
I have several. I like to start off with A Christmas Story, The Home Alone movies (1 and 2 only). The Night They Saved Christmas is another good one, but hard to find on DVD. I’ve only seen it on TV. I also like, It Happened One Christmas with Marlo Thomas and Wayne Rogers, impossible to get on VHS or DVD, but I would love to have a copy. It is a remake of It’s a Wonderful Life. I like the remake better. Jingle All The Way is also a good one.

Mark
 
I never pass up a chance to watch the old Rankin-Bass specials I used to wait for every year as a kid: Frosty; Rudolph; Santa Claus is Coming To Town; Little Drummer Boy; etc. Also Charlie Brown Christmas and The Grinch.

My new favorite is one that came out last year: The Polar Express. If you haven’t seen it yet, you should. It really captures the magic of Christmas for kids and adults, and the animation is breathtaking.
 
I love them ALL so much! It’s too hard to pick just one! :hmmm:

Although now when I attend a wedding I will bring a bottle of wine, a loaf of bread and a container of salt and toast the bride and groom the same way Donna Reed welcomed the Martinis to their new house in It’s a Wonderful Life. It’s corny, I know, but I haven’t got any complaints…yet…🤓
 
DH just reminded me of another one, comedy with Nicholas Cage, Jon Lovitt, called Lost in Paradise, something in Paradise, about 3 brothers who rob a bank, get stranded in a small town named Paradise in a snowstorm, and the kindness of the people “converts” them, Cage finds love, they rescue a family from escaped convicts, lots of fun.
 
40.png
puzzleannie:
DH just reminded me of another one, comedy with Nicholas Cage, Jon Lovitt, called Lost in Paradise, something in Paradise, about 3 brothers who rob a bank, get stranded in a small town named Paradise in a snowstorm, and the kindness of the people “converts” them, Cage finds love, they rescue a family from escaped convicts, lots of fun.
Oooooooh, and you just reminded me of another favorite (I don’t usually think of it as a “Christmas Movie”, though the holiday does feature): ***We’re No Angels ***-- The 1955 version starring Humphrey Bogart, Peter Ustinov and Aldo Ray (not the 1989 remake with Robert Deniro and Sean Penn). Three convicts escape from Devil’s Island on Christmas Eve and become the darkly humorous benefactors to a colonial family they meet along the way. Four stars. Two thumbs up 👍

“shot his eye out”,
(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)
tee
 
These are all great. I have to admit to being an “A Christmas Story” junkie myself. We once watched it all night long on Christmas eve while assembling a very tricky spring horse! I’ll never forget that year!

Has anyone seen my Little Orpan Annie secret decoder ring? Don’t forget to drink your ovaltine! 😃

And I just love all the cartoons! Especially the ones with catchy tunes like the *heat and cold misers * or wanna wake up to a big surprise! Oh, and Loooooove Charlie Brown!

Does anyone remember a Christmas special that I think was called “The Best Christmas Pageant Ever” ? I miss that one.
 
I highly recommend Come to the Stables , I believe that is the title.

It stars Loretta Young as a nun. Very touching story, a really good Christmas movie.👍

Trick
 
They all have been mentioned above, but I will put in my favorites, too.

Someone mentioned the first two Die Hard movies. Believe it or not, I love them, too! The cussing aside, I liked how they tied in the extreme action with the Christmas holiday. And can’t poor John McClain (sp?) and his wife have one normal Christmas, please? Definitely junk-food for the brain, but why not? It’s Christmas! (as Dennis Franz’s character says in the second movie).

Yes, I also love the first two Home Alone movies. Just a lot of fun, with a good message in them about family and forgiveness. That one scene in the first movie when the scary old man (who turns out to be a very good man, actually) reconciles with his estranged son at the end is very, very moving to me.

The Patrick Stewart version of A Christmas Carol has been mentioned. This one is actually the most accurate to the original Charles Dickins text, right down to including a scene where Scrooge goes to church on Christmas morning. Still, as much as I love Captain Picard’s version, the 1951 version with Alastair Sim will always be my favorite.

And finally, how can I not mention A Christmas Story? “HO HO HO! HO HO HO!!!” That nightmarish scene with Santa and his demonic elves is an all-time classic.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top