Favorite music genre

  • Thread starter Thread starter rocklobster
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m another one that cannot get into Christian music, at least the modern day kind. They just don’t have any talent. I do like Gregorian chants though, and some of the secualr bands I listen to, like U2, do have christian messages in them sometimes.
My favorite genres are:
Heavy Metal
Rock
Classical
Opera
New Age
Alternative
Punk
Celtic

Pretty much anything exept Rap/Hip Hop, Country, Acid rock.
 
Sadly, I think you are correct concerning many Christian artists, but I think it bears being said that this does not apply to all Christian musicians.

I’m a metalhead, and there are some bands like Theocracy and Saviour Machine that are solidly Christian AND superb musicians/songwriters.

Certainly, it does not help the Christian cause if we are mediocre in the use of our talents. We should strive to be the best! In that way we can truly glorify God!
Good post, except that I (I’m a metalhead as well) haven’t seen any good ones… I need to check out those two you posted. All Christian rock I’ve heard has been punk/alternative/grunge inspired, which are about my worst favorite types of music… and they don’t even seem to be able to play those styles all that well. That’s hard to do, blow a punk song… :rolleyes:

What we need is a Christian guitar virtuoso, Yngwie-style. 👍
 
Classic Rock for me without a doubt. If it has a bit of a southern flair to it, i.e. The Allman Bros, Skynard, Marshall Tucker etc., all the better. 😃
 
Good post, except that I (I’m a metalhead as well) haven’t seen any good ones… I need to check out those two you posted. All Christian rock I’ve heard has been punk/alternative/grunge inspired, which are about my worst favorite types of music… and they don’t even seem to be able to play those styles all that well. That’s hard to do, blow a punk song… :rolleyes:

What we need is a Christian guitar virtuoso, Yngwie-style. 👍
:amen:

I share your distaste for much of the popular Christian punk/alternative/grunge. I’m not a fan of those genres to begin with, but most of the Christian artists seem to be sub-par versions of their secular counterparts.

I really like Theocracy and highly recommend them if you are at all a fan of symphonic power metal (a la Rhapsody, Blind Guardian, Symphony X, Helloween, etc.). They only have one album out so far, but I can’t get enough of it! The craziest part is that it’s a one man show. Matt Smith wrote all the music and lyrics, played all the instruments, sang all the vocals (including backing vocals), and even self-produced it! He has since recruited a proper band, but it’s amazing that he was able to pull all that together himself. The production isn’t quite as polished as the above bands, but it’s still pretty good.

Saviour Machine is a little more in the gothic/operatic metal vein. I love the guy’s voice. He’s one of my favorite vocalists.

With both bands (Theocracy and Saviour Machine), I appreciate the fact that the lyrics aren’t cheesy.

If you like doom metal at all, Veni Domine is pretty good. I don’t have their albums, but my brother does and he likes them a lot.
 
I had to choose Other. Why would anyone combine Classical with that new age sewage. :mad:
 
What we need is a Christian guitar virtuoso, Yngwie-style. 👍
Have you heard anything by Jonny Lang? He’s a devout Christian and a blues guitar prodigy – white boy from North Dakota who sounded like he’d lived forty years down on his luck in the Delta with only a guitar for company before he could get a driver’s license. Thing is, as far as I can see, when he makes music he focuses on making music.

youtube.com/watch?v=DayCrQWJXuI
 
I looked up Theocracy and (t)he(y) seem(s) pretty good. There weren’t any guitar solos on the samples I listened too, though… how is he at soloing?
 
I looked up Theocracy and (t)he(y) seem(s) pretty good. There weren’t any guitar solos on the samples I listened too, though… how is he at soloing?
Yes, that’s the one drawback to this album: no real standout guitar solos. He admits that soloing is not his forte. Now that he has an actual band with a guitarist, that should hopefully change for their second album.

I forgot to mention it earlier, but if you like the neoclassical Yngwie-style guitars, you might also try the band Narnia. I think that, lyrically, they are a step above the average, but they can still border on the cheesy side of Christian music at times. Musically, though, they are pretty solid, and they definitely fit into the neoclassical vein.
 
Punk, OG-Goth, Rockabilly, Artistic folk/blues, etc.

Punk is NOT GRUNGE. Nor is it “alternative.” Shame on you! :rotfl:
 
I tend to like a little of everything (except heavy metal and what my ex-boyfriend termed as “real punk…not that pop-y, Blink182 stuff - sorry, KC :D)”

But overall, I’m a country and Christian girl at heart :).
 
Classical but definitely not New Age! :eek:

Specifically, the stuff written before 1750, incorporating the medieval, renaissance and baroque eras. I also like some of the later classical composers, but early music is my very favorite. :harp:
 
Electronic mostly, but I have a little of everything on my iTunes, except for Country.
 
My favorite is Heavy Metal, on these forums it gets a bad rep. Ironically, rap music that has people rapping about killing police and pimping out “hos”. Rap is also far more popular than heavy metal music is in general society. But, I digress…

My favorite bands are:

\m/

Bathory
Agalloch
Type O Negative
Opeth
Tristania
Pantera
The Vision Bleak
Amorphis
My Dying Bride
Moonspell

\m/

Just to name a few…😃
 
My favorite bands are:

\m/

Moonspell
Moonspell…The only metal band I know to get away with singing “La la la la la la la la” in one of their songs, yet managing to retain their “metalness”. 😃
 
Moonspell…The only metal band I know to get away with singing “La la la la la la la la” in one of their songs, yet managing to retain their “metalness”. 😃
Subway to Sally did it too 😉

Moonspell – I’d listen to them if they’d just shut up and play their guitars.
 
Subway to Sally did it too 😉

Moonspell – I’d listen to them if they’d just shut up and play their guitars.
My mistake! 🙂

Yeah, that Portuguese accent can be a little thick at times (not to mention the growling!)
 
Yeah, that Portuguese accent can be a little thick at times (not to mention the growling!)
It’s not the accent (after all, this is metal, the genre of odd-sounding voices) or the growling, the lyrics are just so unbelievably silly it’s hard to listen to them. I love the instrumental work though.

Another one for the metalheads: The County Medical Examiners. Three-piece, all of them actual county coroners – older gentlemen playing some pretty amazing goregrind. Their bassist is in his 60s 😃
 
It’s not the accent (after all, this is metal, the genre of odd-sounding voices) or the growling, the lyrics are just so unbelievably silly it’s hard to listen to them. I love the instrumental work though.
Ahhh, gotcha. The guy that introduced me to the band (back with their first album, Wolfheart) told me that the band members really believed they were wolf spirits incarnated into human bodies. :eek: I’m not sure if that’s true or just a “biting-the-head-off-a-chicken” type urban legend. 🤷

I guess the silly lyrics don’t really bother me (I also like Rhapsody :)). Half the time I don’t understand what they’re saying anyway! 🙂
Another one for the metalheads: The County Medical Examiners. Three-piece, all of them actual county coroners – older gentlemen playing some pretty amazing goregrind. Their bassist is in his 60s 😃
LOL! I’ll have to check those guys out! 😃
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top