Favorite Stooge?

  • Thread starter Thread starter WanderAimlessly
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WanderAimlessly

Guest
Being a big fan of the Three Stooges, I decided to find out who your favorite Stooge is. During the lifespan of the Stooges there were the following:

  1. *]Moe
    *]Curly
    *]Larry
    *]Shemp
    *]Joe (Joe Besser)
    *]Curly Joe (Joe DeRita)

    As for me, it was a tossup between Curly and Shemp. I chose Curly.

    PF
 
40.png
WanderAimlessly:
Being a big fan of the Three Stooges, I decided to find out who your favorite Stooge is…As for me, it was a tossup between Curly and Shemp. I chose Curly.

PF
You remember the episode where curly had to carry a block of ice up stairs???he’d run like mad and always only had an ice cube by the time he made it up to the top. :rotfl: …:rotfl:
That had to be my favorite episode. I am laughing even now thinking about it.
~ Kathy ~ :rotfl:
 
There was no option for “The Three Stooges are Annoying, to pick a favorite would be like picking a friend’s nose”… so I coudn’t vote 😃
 
I always liked the original line-up (and thus, Curly), but Shemp had his moments too. Anyone who votes for Curly Joe is a numbskull, nyuk nyuk nyuk.
 
Hmmm…other fans of the Three Stooges.😃 Over the years, I have just explained to other women that yes, my humor is completly immature.🙂 LEt’s face it not many girls over twelve like the Stooges, so maybe we should start a web support site for adult female fans. ( We are so misunderstood):crying:

I think the Three Stooges, especially Curly, were hilarious, slap stick humor at its best. Hey, Mel Gibson is a fan.

And for those who don’t like them, two cyber fingers to the eyes and a nyuck, nycuk, nyuck to you all.😃
 
(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)
The original three, the best!
Moe, the one who tried to be the leader yet whatever he wanted to accomplish, the other two always foiled his plans.

Larry, the stooge who has a heart but always was either heartbroken or simply was most misunderstood.

Curly, he always tried to be the problemsolver but no matter what he touch, it either fell apart, fell on him or the other two, or just didn’t work at all!

The slapstick comedy is a lost art. I am not aware of any sign of this comedy today. Lucy and Ethel used it in I Love Lucy and maybe some of Mel Brooks’ movies but other than that…it’s a lost art.
 
40.png
Timidity:
Missing poll option: I detest the stooges.
OUTRAGE!!! 😛

I for one love the stooges. My dad and I would watch the marathons every New Year’s Eve.

I like them all except for Joe and Curly Joe.

My favorite episode was the one where they pretend to be professors at the girls college. They sing this song about the letters that I know by heart. In fact, I think that’s what my dad used to try and teach me the letters and their sounds when I was a little kid 😃 (be I bo, be I bee, be I bickey by be I bo, bickey by bo be by bo bickey by bo be…)

MOE, LARRY, THE CHEESE!
 
I can’t believe that I’m actually posting about the Stooges on this website, but I really do enjoy them! I voted for Curly, but I’d place Shemp a very close second. I always found him to be really underrated and a very funny man. Speaking of underrated, I also thought that Larry was never given the credit he deserved. He had some very funny lines. One bit that always cracked me up was when they were driving the fish truck and Larry kept blowing his horn in Moe’s ear. Finally Moe turned to him and said, “Hey, Harry James…” and Larry relied, “Oh, I ain’t that good”. Of course this was followed by a slap.

Since I’m posting this on catholic.com, I feel obligated to say that every morning I pray for the souls of entertainers like the Stooges who have given me enjoyment throughout my life. It’s too easy to forget that they were real people and many of them could be in purgatory in need of our prayers.

God Bless,
Gary
 
I liked the Three Stooges when I was a kid in the early 80’s. Every Saturday morning I would watch Three Stooges and Little Rascals before Saturday Morning Cartoons. Yes, that was the good ole’ days of Shirt Tales, Smurfs, Mon Chi Chi…

But I guess I outgrew them.
My kids would probably love them, they crack up at slapstick comedy! I don’t know if I would want them acting out Stooges antics… but there are three kids…
 
I’ve always loved the Three Stooges – but then, I’ve always had an appreciation for slapstick comedy.

I’m the one who voted for Moe; he was my favorite!

OK, let’s see if I can sing the Alphabet Song from memory:

B ay bay
B ee bee
B i bicky bi
B o bo
Bicky bi bo b u bu
Bicky bi bo bu.

How did I do? 😃 I always thought it was hilarious that singing the alphabet was what those girls were learning in college!

Praying for them is a nice idea; I’d like to think they’re up in Heaven making the angels laugh, but you never know who might be in Purgatory, and in need of prayers. So, for:

Moses Horwitz (Moe)
Jerome Horwitz (Curly)
Samuel Horwitz (Shemp)
Louis Feinberg (Larry)
Joe Besser (Joe)
Joseph Wardell (Curly Joe DeRita)

Eternal rest grant unto them, O Lord.
And let perpetual light shine upon them.

And may their souls, and the souls of all the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace.

Amen.

Crazy Internet Junkies Society
Carrier of the Angelic Sparkles Sprinkle Bag
 
I’ve always noticed that guys like the Stooges and gals thought them annoying.I loved “The Curly Shuffle” though. Fun song.
 
40.png
Edwin1961:
The slapstick comedy is a lost art. I am not aware of any sign of this comedy today. Lucy and Ethel used it in I Love Lucy and maybe some of Mel Brooks’ movies but other than that…it’s a lost art.
Lucy and Ethel were great! Penny Marshall and Cindy Williams also used a lot of physical comedy in “Laverne and Shirley”; I see them as having picked up the gauntlet from Lucille Ball and Vivian Vance. Sadly, physical comedy is vastly under-appreciated.

(By the way, I’m a woman – we’re not “supposed” to like slapstick, but I do – and so does my sister!)

**Crazy Internet Junkies Society
**Carrier of the Angelic Sparkles Sprinkle Bag
 
I probably spent too much time watching the Three Stooges, Little Rascals (guess who’s my fav), Laural & Hardy, etc. as a kid but its a lot better than the stuff kids are exposed to today.

Curly will win this poll hands down and for a good reason - he was the best performer. I, however, selected Larry - the forgotten stooge.

favorite quote (by Curly while holding an orange): “If at first you don’t succeed. Keep on sucking 'til you do suck seed.”
 
Slapstick isn’t completely dead. Look at the good Jackie Chan movies (one of his heroes is Buster Keaton… 'nuff said). I think part of the problem is that it’s hard to carry a whole movie with slapstick. Most of the slapstick in the heyday of slapstick didn’t last more than 10-20 minutes, and nobody really makes shorts anymore because people don’t pay to sit in the theatre for longer than the length of one movie like they used to.

And there’s still slapstick in animated comedy (not the same I know, but get it where you can). Honestly though, if you look at Asian cinema, you’ll find a lot of slapstick comedy in the Kung Fu comedy genre (thank you Jackie Chan for making this genre viable), and it shows up in some of the most unlikely places in Japanese cinema.

Some of Chris Farley’s better moments (Tommy Boy!!!) were great slapstick comedy. I think part of the problem is that slapstick comedy gets confused with stupid adolescent grossout comedy these days (garbage like Something About Mary). But you can still find great physical comedy if you know where to look (Steve Martin in his better moments… and in his younger years).
 
40.png
MEP:
I think part of the problem is that it’s hard to carry a whole movie with slapstick. Most of the slapstick in the heyday of slapstick didn’t last more than 10-20 minutes, and nobody really makes shorts anymore because people don’t pay to sit in the theatre for longer than the length of one movie like they used to.
You’re right, and I might still be going to the movies today if they’d do like the they did in the “olden” days – a double-feature, a newsreel, a couple of short features and a few cartoons. 🙂 Nowadays, you’re lucky if you get “coming attractions”. 😦

Maybe some local, non-chain movie theaters can revive this practice – show a new movie, one older one, a couple of Three Stooges shorts, an old newsreel, and some Bugs Bunny cartoons. Might appeal to the “nostalgia” crowd, like me!

**Crazy Internet Junkies Society
**Carrier of the Angelic Sparkles Sprinkle Bag
 
40.png
Timidity:
Missing poll option: I detest the stooges.
Amen!
My mother didn’t even have to forbid me to watch them when I was a kid.

Who with half a brain can enjoy such trash? They shouldn’t be allowed to vote or raise children.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top