Favorite Stooge?

  • Thread starter Thread starter WanderAimlessly
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t have a favorite-- I thought they were all wonderful, with exception of Curly Joe.

My favorite episode has to be the one where they are preparing dinner and serving at a fancy dinner party. The literalist interpretation of the recipe for stuffing and cooking the bird was hysterical!! When the recipe calls for “2 eggs, separated” Curly puts one on each end of the countertop! Where it called for one can of peas to be put in the stuffing, he stuffed the peas, can and all, into the bird. Priceless!!
 
40.png
didymus:
Amen!
My mother didn’t even have to forbid me to watch them when I was a kid.

Who with half a brain can enjoy such trash? They shouldn’t be allowed to vote or raise children.
A bit harsh. Is Mel Gibson on your list of people with half a brain? I have read in interviews that Mr. Gibson is a big fan of the three stooges.(And for all my fellow three stooges fans this is pretty cool, isn’t it?.) Mel even made a tv movie about the stooges.

pbvonline.com/stooges.htm

Let’s not be mean over a subject as trival as what tv shows that we enjoy.
 
40.png
deb1:
A bit harsh. Is Mel Gibson on your list of people with half a brain? I have read in interviews that Mr. Gibson is a big fan of the three stooges.(And for all my fellow three stooges fans this is pretty cool, isn’t it?.) Mel even made a tv movie about the stooges.
Mel being a fan of the stooges does not supprise me. Just look at some of his antics in the “Lethal Weapon” movies.

PF
 
40.png
didymus:
Who with half a brain can enjoy such trash? They shouldn’t be allowed to vote or raise children.
Hey Wise Guy!!! I resemble that remark … n-yuk,n-yuk,n-yuk. I’m sorry I couldn’t resist! I spend so much time posting serious things on this board that it’s nice to have some fun with a thread like this.

In all seriousness, didymus, I really hope you’re kidding with the remark about voting or raising children. If not, you’re WAY out of line.

God Bless,
Gary
 
40.png
gez722:
Hey Wise Guy!!! I resemble that remark … n-yuk,n-yuk,n-yuk. I’m sorry I couldn’t resist! I spend so much time posting serious things on this board that it’s nice to have some fun with a thread like this.

In all seriousness, didymus, I really hope you’re kidding with the remark about voting or raising children. If not, you’re WAY out of line.

God Bless,
Gary
I’m afraid I’m rather given to both sarasm & hyperbole, so no I’m not serious about voting & children.

In all seriousness, while I know “there’s no accounting for taste” I really can’t see any merit, artistic, moral or otherwise, in the Stooges.
As for for Mel Gibson being a fan – he’s hardly one of the great artists or intellects of the age. Passion of the Christ can’t redeem the whole a lifetime of gratuitously violent movies.
 
40.png
didymus:
I’m afraid I’m rather given to both sarasm & hyperbole, so no I’m not serious about voting & children.
Whew… I’m relieved! Thanks for the clarification.
40.png
didymus:
In all seriousness, while I know “there’s no accounting for taste” I really can’t see any merit, artistic, moral or otherwise, in the Stooges.
Although I have always enjoyed the Stooges, there are a lot of people (my wife included) that would STRONGLY agree with you on that point!

God Bless,
Gary
 
Actually Shemp was part of the original Trio. He left to pursue a Solo film career then returned after Curly’s death.

I personally like Moe the most but Curly was the best.

My fav short is “Dizzy Doctors” and “Beer Barrel Polecats” with “I’ll Never Heil Again” a close third(In fact it’s probally why Moe’s my fav, that Hitler impersonation is priceless and it got him put on the top of the infamous Nazi death list!)
 
In all seriousness, while I know “there’s no accounting for taste” I really can’t see any merit, artistic, moral or otherwise, in the Stooges.
That’s the point, the Stooges play things for pure laughs. In fact I’d argue thats where the Merit in their work comes from, their ability to make people laugh so hard they forget all their other problems. Also their comedy was actually aimed at entertaining children most of the time. I know kids and violent stunts don’t normally mix, but that was always their major target audience.
 
Slapstick isn’t completely dead. Look at the good Jackie Chan movies (one of his heroes is Buster Keaton… 'nuff said). I think part of the problem is that it’s hard to carry a whole movie with slapstick. Most of the slapstick in the heyday of slapstick didn’t last more than 10-20 minutes, and nobody really makes shorts anymore because people don’t pay to sit in the theatre for longer than the length of one movie like they used to.

And there’s still slapstick in animated comedy (not the same I know, but get it where you can). Honestly though, if you look at Asian cinema, you’ll find a lot of slapstick comedy in the Kung Fu comedy genre (thank you Jackie Chan for making this genre viable), and it shows up in some of the most unlikely places in Japanese cinema.

Some of Chris Farley’s better moments (Tommy Boy!!!) were great slapstick comedy. I think part of the problem is that slapstick comedy gets confused with stupid adolescent grossout comedy these days (garbage like Something About Mary). But you can still find great physical comedy if you know where to look (Steve Martin in his better moments… and in his younger years).
Slapstick in comedy has become sadly tied down to Television(where the 20 minute runtime is still popular), but in this medium it oft plays second fiddle. I mean Michael Richards was one of the best Slapstick comedians and he was always the second fiddle on Seinfeld.

I think British television hasn’t been as afraid to do it in the past(Mr Bean surely!), but it’s not that big there either anymore.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top