Favourite Liturgy

• Thread starter Thread starter Elvis_George
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
🤔 I understood a little of that article but most of it still has me in a quandary.

Unfortunately no, and there are no other Eastern Catholic Churches beside Byzantine one in my country. I am kinda sure I will have to travel to attend many other Liturgies, so thanks for the tip 🙂

Last edited:
Do you study in Prague? If so, do you ever see the Little Infant? This is the original statue in Prague:

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

Sadly no, I don’t study in Prague but if I go there I plan to go see it 🙂

If you ever get to see the Little Infant please pray to Him for me. Thank you in advance!

I will be sure to. Thank you for yet another reason to go and see it.

@Margaret_Ann basically saying, the Church of the East was largely misunderstood and was still orthodox in faith

This is probably what your talking about (although its in malayalam

This is from the eucharistic prayer of the anaphora of St. John Chrysostom. This is not the exact rendering of the Syriac that I have heard before, but it is very close.

Our entire liturgy has had “better translations” like this done to it.

Here is the current version that is in use in the Arabic and English texts:
Truly it is right and just to thank , adore, glorify, and bless the majesty of the one consubstantial Trinity, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, a majesty that does not need our glory nor become greater with our thanks. O lord, those who sing your praises are countless, and they cry out with angelic voices and sweet melodies proclaiming: Holy, holy, holy…
This is the Syriac that it is “translated” from:
Truly it is proper and just that we should thank, worship, praise, exalt, honor, laud, bless and sanctify the One Lordship of the Trinity, equal in essence and worshipped in the three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

Your Lordship has no need of our praise, O Lord, nor are You magnified by our thanks. You have the innumerable choristers, the endless hosts of light, the yoked cherubim and the glorious seraphim, thousands and numberless multitudes, myriads and choirs uncountable, expansive ranks of devouring fire, wondrous hosts of mighty blaze, arrayed standing legions, the chariot of cherubim whose variety are immeasurable, cohorts of archangels, multitudes of seraphim by the clamor of their wings the foundations [of creation] tremble, glorious cries from between the fiery coals with trembling are heard, a thousand thousands stand before You, and ten thousand ten thousands glorify Your being who with one pure voice and one dear acclaim with sweet melodies and immaterial tongues cry out, one to another, with the eternal praise, saying: Holy, holy, holy…
@Phillip_Rolfes I thought you’d appreciate this.

@XXI_4 this might not be that prayer then i don’t know

Last edited:
This is from the eucharistic prayer of the anaphora of St. John Chrysostom. This is not the exact rendering of the Syriac that I have heard before, but it is very close.

Our entire liturgy has had “better translations” like this done to it.

Here is the current version that is in use in the Arabic and English texts:
Truly it is right and just to thank , adore, glorify, and bless the majesty of the one consubstantial Trinity, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, a majesty that does not need our glory nor become greater with our thanks. O lord, those who sing your praises are countless, and they cry out with angelic voices and sweet melodies proclaiming: Holy, holy, holy…
Thank you for posting, this is beautiful.

Of late I love this one…

American Orthodox Music…

Eastern Orthodox Liturgy…

Putting instrumentals and percussion in the Liturgy…
Just seems to my old ears…
Well…
Wrong…

geo

That’s at the OCA cathedral in D.C. I attended a hierarchical Divine Liturgy there when Met. Jonah was still the Metropolitan of the OCA. The cathedral is stunning, and when the music is added in it really does feel like heaven on earth.

That’s at the OCA cathedral in D.C. I attended a hierarchical Divine Liturgy there when Met. Jonah was still the Metropolitan of the OCA. The cathedral is stunning, and when the music is added in it really does feel like heaven on earth.
This music is “American Made” - It may very well become the American Standard of Orthodox Music - It is original music made for the Liturgy by a native born American composer who is an Orthodox Christian… Beautiful Russian roots…

geo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back