Feeling hatred?

  • Thread starter Thread starter rosejmj
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rosejmj

Guest
For some reason it is hard for me not to take my anger out on God when things go badly. It makes sense to blame him because he is God and he can do anything including stopping bad from happening. I admit sometimes I feel so angry and hateful towards God and I tell him. Is that a mortal sin? I don’t think I hate him in the true sense of the word, but I feel like I do and I tell him I do.
 
I’m not a moral theologian and I’m not a spiritual director. But as somebody who in the past felt massively let down by God, I will say how I was able to move past it.

First, I had to be honest with God. I was mad at Him and I told Him so.

Second, I followed the typical relationship rules that you focus on the what action hurt you, and not the person you’re mad at. So it looks like this—“I felt let down when you xxx…” as opposed to calling names.

Also, I tried to learn everything I could about Him—just like how in any relationship, you take the time to learn who you are dealing with.

And then (and this is the hardest to explain), I had to “forgive” God, ie let go of my anger towards Him. Anger can be very toxic and corrosive under certain circumstances, and I decided that’s how it was for me.

Something that really helped me to get to this point was the rememberance that God incarnated, became one of us, and suffered everything we do. It didn’t explain the mystery of suffering, but it was an additional insight.

Also, learning to give thanks for something, anything, every day helped me jump start my spiritual life in ways I couldn’t have predicted.

:pray:t2: For you!
 
Personally I think telling God you are mad at Him is the best thing you could do. He knows your heart and already knows you are mad. By telling Him, you are showing a type of respect. However, I would always after telling Him I am mad at Him say ‘please change my heart so I can see it your way’

By talking about it, you can move forward
 
A priest told me to do this once when I was a young teen. He told me to say everything and wait.
 
This was after my mother’s death. Nothing happened. Maybe some supernatural feeling of peace was supposed to take place, but I think the priest just wanted me to vent and express everything. And then wait for the words to settle so I can see for myself.

Whether I was really mad at him or at someone, that sort of thing.
 
Last edited:
It doesn’t sound mortal simply because you’re still acknowledging God’s authority in your strife. But I honestly don’t know.

No matter how bad things are, just keep in mind that we cannot see the good end of God allowing these things to happen. I personally seem to be accumulating one financial problem after another lately, but I make an effort to remain firm in the hope that it’s for my own spiritual good.
 
I just had that talk with God a few days ago.
It did make me feel better.
 
Anger is like picking up a burning coal from a fire; with the intention of throwing it at the person who angers you, and the person who gets burned the most is me. The longer I hold onto this burning coal of anger, the hotter it becomes.
This world is not fair, we all suffer injustices in some way that are never put right. Only God can bring justice in a greater good life after death. Until then; we should learn to forgive, and strive to make our community a kinder and more caring place to live.
 
The first and greatest commandment, you shall LOVE the Lord your God with ALL your heart, soul, and mind.

Is blaming God for anything that has not gone your way love? Is telling God you hate Him love? I’m sorry to say this, on second thought no I’m not, your mad at God after what you’ve done to His only Son?? Your darn right God has the power to change things, but out of love He doesn’t, and just as they wrongly told Jesus, why don’t you save yourself and come down off that Cross, you are wrongly blaming and questioning God. Why didn’t He come down of that Cross that you put Him on, because He loves you and gave you everything He had so that you may have eternal life!

I’ve lost an ex Father in-law to a violent murder, I’ve lost a best friend to a stroke, I lost my father to cancer, and just recently my wife and I lost our precious little daughter. Not shouting here but emphasizing this… WE ALL HAVE A CROSS TO CARRY. But you can’t be blaming God for your cross, because our Savior did not blame you or show anger for the one you gave to Him.

When my cross gets heavier I just tell my self to suck it up buttercup, and remind myself of Jesus in the garden sweating blood and begging the Father to take away His cup of suffering, the one we poisoned with our sins. And here is what will crush any feelings of anger like the head of the serpent, Father, YOUR WILL be done!

I would say redirect your anger, turn that anger around and into the passionate and perfect love God has for you. Because truth be told, wonderful things will happen when you let go of your anger and burdens and love the Lord God with all your heart, soul and mind.

And if anyone wants to get angry at me for saying it’s not right to get angry at God or to blame Him when bad things happen, so be it. I do love our Lord with all my heart and just want others to feel the love of God the way I do. That love I was missing for so many years, it has brought me peace no matter what life throws my way.

Our hearts are restless until they rest in God.
 
Maybe read and ponder Genesis 3 - the fall from grace. The fault is ours, by inheritance, not God’s. Our first parents were warned. Anger is a neutral passion, intended to oppose evil - but God is not evil and cannot cause evil. He allows it to occur, so that He alone may bring good from it.

Place the blame where it lies: the prince of this world: the evil one. Blame him. Curse him if you must, but choose to love God, as what He proposes is that you live in His Kingdom forever. His grace allows you to draw each and every breath you take - awake or sleeping.

The serenity prayer may help you to realize that anger is misplaced when directed against good, and likewise if it is directed against evil over which it has no control.

Have a chat with Father at your next confession, if possible.
 
Last edited:
Read the book of Job. One can be angry and not sin.

Remember, God will never interfere with your or anyone’s free will. It is contrary to His nature.
 
Okay. I guess my fear is that I am committing blasphemy by telling God I hate him
 
My confirmation saint is saint Francis of Assisi. He had the stigmata and reminds me of the hymn: make me a channel of your peace, where there is hatred; let me sow love, where there is anger, peace…

I hope this helps. JMJ+
 
But, one must have reasons for hatred, or one is being unreasonable - in the extreme: irrational. Hatred toward God is biting the hand which feeds you - a divine hand!

It sounds as though you may have plain old anger issues, and God is the largest, most powerful, most omnipresent target. Should your target not be one who means you evil?

Sin or no, you do not want to test God’s patience.
 
Last edited:
A Franciscan Blessing for Justice and Peace

May God bless you with discomfort…
at easy answers, hard hearts,
half-truths ,and superficial relationships.
May God bless you so that you may live
from deep within your heart
where God’s Spirit dwells.

May God bless you with anger…
at injustice, oppression,
and exploitation of people.
May God bless you so that you may
work for justice, freedom, and peace.

May God bless you with tears…
to shed for those who suffer from pain,
rejection, starvation and war.
May God bless you so that you
may reach out your hand
to comfort them and turn their pain into joy.

And may God bless you with
enough foolishness
to believe that you can make a difference
in this world, in your neighborhood,
so that you will courageously try
what you don’t think you can do, but,
in Jesus Christ you’ll have all the strength necessary.

May God bless you to fearlessly
speak out about injustice,
unjust laws, corrupt politicians,
unjust and cruel treatment of prisoners,
and senseless wars,
genocides, starvations, and poverty that is so pervasive.

May God bless you that you remember
we are all called
to continue God’s redemptive work
of love and healing
in God’s place, in and through God’s name,
in God’s Spirit, continually creating
and breathing new life and grace
into everything and everyone we touch.

Source: “Troubadour: A Missionary Magazine,” published by the Franciscan Missionary Society, Liverpool, UK: Spring 2005.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top